I'm still looking for "the proof." For example, quite a few modern vehicles have been built with crank triggered, computer controlled ignition WHICH IS THEN FED through a distributor WITH A LOCKED ADVANCE. This means that WHATEVER the computer does to the ignition advance, THE ROTOR DOES NOT CHANGE and therefore THE PHASING MUST CHANGE over the range of the advance. So let's say that the advance range in the computer is something, say, 10-50*. That's a spread of 20*, the center of which is 30* at the crank. THIS MEANS that if you phase the distributor at 30* crank degrees advance, the rotor phasing WILL STILL CHANGE by plus and minus 20 degrees!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I admit fully that I haven't researched these types of problems, but neither has the original poster---who hasn't posted on shread of dyno or oscope or mileage proof that this is an important or prevelant problem. All I know is, my Ford Ranger has the above listed type of distributor--and it doesn't seem to have problem tracking the cap!!! It doesn't exhibit poor mileage or driveability problems. I ran old Mopars thousands of miles, and I know a cap tracking problem when I see it.

The original poster is making statements like "your car will run better". Well fine---if it does, you should be able to prove it. You should be able to take an example car and show some 0-60 times, or mileage change, or something to back up your claims.

The question STILL in my mind is, "is this a problem" or "is this a PERCEIVED problem?"

(This would not be the first time that a bunch of sheep have run off a cliff.)