Can anyone provide a definitive "reality check" to this post? I've owned a number of Mopars, using several different distributors over the years and have been envolved with many many friends "back in the day" as well as having tuned up hundreds on the scope when I worked at Miramar.

You are using terms like "most need alignment"

I don't remember seeing all that many with badly burned caps--the one physical indication of misalignment

Second, there IS CONSIDERABLE leeway in the cap. As the rotor rotates, the corner of the leading edge of the rotor comes "to" the corner of one edge of the cap contact. They then move past each other, to the opposite "corner" of each contact. That must be a dimension close to or better than 3/8"!!!!

You say "your car runs better." Have you proof of this? You showed a picture of what I would call a MASSIVE reluctor misalignment, and imply that you've checked that against a cap, and that is a "typical" situation. Frankly, I find that a little hard to believe.

Last, why are we just hearing about this now? For years and years, various people have been making high performance igniton, people like Mallory, Accell, Vertex, and a few I've forgotten

AND NOT ONCE in any advertisements for these products have there been blazing headlines about how necessary it is to "cure" the awful rotor phasing in Mopar distributors.