Alan did start the post 5 years ago and it immediately went dead with no answer. I had the same issue was found the thread during a search and thought a good place to start would be to ask him what he found. The rest you can read. I did unplug the vacuum advance after I rejetted to the 65s which I did when I disassembled the carbs to remove the broken clear sight glasses. I forgot to mention it in my rundown of today's efforts. Although the 65s did seem to help unplugging the advance had no effect. I think I am still restricting myself/idle with the timing issue right now so I will correct that in the morning and verify my float levels now that I have another set of sight glasses (hope they don't break). It seems like the initial required for idle plus the advance will exceed what Tom has recommended in his document, I may have to find a happy medium until I have time to pull the distributor and restrict the advance. I'm screwing around and time is getting away from me.

I am also wondering about things like I don't have the Carter fuel pump as recommended and my heat risers aren't blocked off. I also believe I have a 180* t-stat in it so I will change it out by the end of tomorrow if I don't get it where I want it and start down that road.

I know the real answer is just follow the directions and correct what ever is different than prescribed but it runs so well I am having trouble believing I have to do a major overhaul of the system to get the surge out and more importantly cure what I believe is a lean condition.

Careful, your character's showing!