Quote:

I drove that car about 100 feet and in the trailer one time, my dad 72 demon I'm talking about. To look at the carb linkage with 1 to 1 on 8 barrels and just think about putting it at 7500 and dumping the clutch is .........well you cant put it in to words. To think his job everyday was to get PAID to match race that car 3 to 4 days a week is hard to imagine.

AND that's what I'm talking about. We've gotten so lazy thhat we forget this whole race "thing is a demonstration of skill. Oh definitely reaction times are a essential, but once you leave the line, c'mon, GET BACK TO WORK! My Altered is a kick,& about 3 sec. quicker than my old SBC-powered Pinto that had been an old P/S ateempt years ago ---wish I had it back. WHy? I HAD TO SHIFT IT! So the speed isn't the only thing here, it's the work,& skill involved intrying to get this type of cars down the track. It WOULD be interesting to see an automatic P/S car but more for "freak" value than anything else. Put an auto ina P/S car and all you have (really) is a S/C car that everyone else has................

Racers today have no idea what is was like back then.

Herb McCandless Jr