Quote:

hmmmmmm, So whats the deal with the transmission? Can you run an automatic w a transbrake or is this for 3 pedals only?

Herb McCandless Jr

Oh yea Ten seconds wasnt the min in 70. My dad won indy with a 9.96 I think.

The NHRA rule book actually permitted both automatic and manual transmissions in early Pro Stock, even though the only automatic I'm aware of was the '71 Missle. So, yes, any transmission will be permitted. The ten second minimum referred to the minimum (slowest) time the cars were expected to run in 1970. I'll post detailed rules here later this week. We can then massage them with the input from all of you before turning them over to Goodguys.

Also here's another photo for you. This is Mike Fons second Challenger which was built by the Rod Shop. It was never campaigned, as they switched their efforts to a new 73 Dart Sport, which Fons ran briefly before being fired from the team. The Challenger was sold and raced locally, then ended up with Donnie Chapman and family in NMCA and later sold by Fred Englehart. The car was restored by a gentleman in Dayton, Ohio, who unfortunately passed away last year. His family is considering selling the car. If not, his sons have shown interest in racing with us. This photo was taken last summer at National Trail.

5224095-8113_1.jpg (2896 downloads)