Due to the encouragement of our friend Kev 73 Missle , his dream is now a reality. Back in 1993, Dominic Durinzi and I started the National Nostalgic Pro Stock Association. After several years of hibernation, I’ve teamed up with the Goodguys Rod & Custom Association and the Vintage Racing Association to rejuvenate the class. Nostalgia Pro Stock is now a reality! The class will be for 1970-1974, big block, stock body shell vehicles, with a minimum wheelbase of 100 inches and a minimum weight of 2400 pounds. The will eliminate the Colt/Pinto/Vega sub compacts and late model tube chassis vehicles. A second and third class will be added at a later date to accommodate these other cars. The rules will be a combination of vintage Pro Stock, current Nostalgia Super Stock, and current NHRA safety rules. Clone cars and tribute (period correct) cars will be permitted. Tentatively, the cars will run on a half second index, similar to Nostalgia Super Stock (8.50, 9.00, 9.50, 10.00). Ten seconds was the minimum required by NHRA in 1970 and by 1975 the cars were only running 8.70s. Here’s the 2009 schedule: July 10, National Trail Raceway; August 28-30, Norwalk (Summit) Raceway Park; September 18, Route 66; October 16-18, Beech Bend Park; October 30, ZMax Charlotte. That’s plenty of time to get ready or to convert Hemi Super Stock E-bodies or Pro ET cars over to P/S trim. 2009 will be an exhibition program only. Entrants will receive free car and driver entry, $100 appearance fee, appreciation award trophy and color vehicle coverage in the Goodguys magazine and online. Authentic display-only vehicles will receive free entry and coverage. As participation increases so will the rewards. I’ll post the detailed rules within the next week. I welcome your comments before everything is set in stone. Hemi Fred, you ready?

Attached is a photo from our 1995 gathering at National Trail. From left to right: that’s me and the Wire Car, now owned by Arnie Klann; Bill Porterfield’s Dickie Harrel Camaro; Ron Walker’s Motown Missle which was sold to Kevin (BTW which was NEVER owned by Charlie Blankenship); Glenn Hicks’ S&M Duster now owned by Hemi Fred; Dave Lyal’s Wild Thang Mustang, Parker and Ross’ Pinto, Gary Phillips’ Billy the Kid Arrow, Glenn Sharp’s Jenkins Vega (sold at B-J last year), and Dominic Durinzi’s S&M Colt now owned by Clark Rand.

5211872-95ProStock2.jpg (1466 downloads)