Moparts

Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here!

Posted By: sixpackjeff

Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/06/09 04:34 PM

Due to the encouragement of our friend Kev 73 Missle , his dream is now a reality. Back in 1993, Dominic Durinzi and I started the National Nostalgic Pro Stock Association. After several years of hibernation, I’ve teamed up with the Goodguys Rod & Custom Association and the Vintage Racing Association to rejuvenate the class. Nostalgia Pro Stock is now a reality! The class will be for 1970-1974, big block, stock body shell vehicles, with a minimum wheelbase of 100 inches and a minimum weight of 2400 pounds. The will eliminate the Colt/Pinto/Vega sub compacts and late model tube chassis vehicles. A second and third class will be added at a later date to accommodate these other cars. The rules will be a combination of vintage Pro Stock, current Nostalgia Super Stock, and current NHRA safety rules. Clone cars and tribute (period correct) cars will be permitted. Tentatively, the cars will run on a half second index, similar to Nostalgia Super Stock (8.50, 9.00, 9.50, 10.00). Ten seconds was the minimum required by NHRA in 1970 and by 1975 the cars were only running 8.70s. Here’s the 2009 schedule: July 10, National Trail Raceway; August 28-30, Norwalk (Summit) Raceway Park; September 18, Route 66; October 16-18, Beech Bend Park; October 30, ZMax Charlotte. That’s plenty of time to get ready or to convert Hemi Super Stock E-bodies or Pro ET cars over to P/S trim. 2009 will be an exhibition program only. Entrants will receive free car and driver entry, $100 appearance fee, appreciation award trophy and color vehicle coverage in the Goodguys magazine and online. Authentic display-only vehicles will receive free entry and coverage. As participation increases so will the rewards. I’ll post the detailed rules within the next week. I welcome your comments before everything is set in stone. Hemi Fred, you ready?

Attached is a photo from our 1995 gathering at National Trail. From left to right: that’s me and the Wire Car, now owned by Arnie Klann; Bill Porterfield’s Dickie Harrel Camaro; Ron Walker’s Motown Missle which was sold to Kevin (BTW which was NEVER owned by Charlie Blankenship); Glenn Hicks’ S&M Duster now owned by Hemi Fred; Dave Lyal’s Wild Thang Mustang, Parker and Ross’ Pinto, Gary Phillips’ Billy the Kid Arrow, Glenn Sharp’s Jenkins Vega (sold at B-J last year), and Dominic Durinzi’s S&M Colt now owned by Clark Rand.

Attached picture 5211872-95ProStock2.jpg
Posted By: hemiparts

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/07/09 03:05 AM

Kev is looking down right now with a smile a mile wide @ the thought of this becoming reality!!!
Posted By: RaceCarRegistry

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/07/09 02:48 PM

Looks like it could be an interesting series of races. Kev would be proud ! Please keep us informed and we'll spread the word.
Many Thanks,
Reed in Neb.
Posted By: hemicop

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/07/09 04:36 PM

Any plans on heading out West?
Posted By: SCDaytona

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/07/09 05:07 PM

Hopefully, they will be all stick cars as were the pro stocks back then.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/08/09 12:41 PM

Quote:

Any plans on heading out West?

The sky's the limit. Goodguys currently does a static event in Scottsdale. Who's interested in making this thing grow?

Attached File
5215644-untitle71mm.bmp  (1539 downloads)
Posted By: mr_340

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/08/09 04:55 PM

Quote:

Hopefully, they will be all stick cars as were the pro stocks back then.

Well, the Motown Missile did experiment with a Clutchflite for a while. Later the Lenco took over.
Posted By: Florida_70Bee

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/08/09 04:58 PM

Maybe some could contact Ben Donhoff with the Mopar Missile Duster here in Florida and see if he would be interested in joining the fun. BTW the car is still running Lenco

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/11/09 01:12 PM

Here's a shot of Reed's Omni that I took at the SpringNats back in 1980. We'll be adding later model cars (in a separate class) to the program to include Reed, Greg Mosley's Colt and others. Who else is in?

Attached picture 5221766-SMomni.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 05/11/09 02:02 PM

Posted By: Somerdale Flash

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/11/09 02:04 PM

I'm in also...Any plans for a race in PA.
Posted By: Slingshot383

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/11/09 04:26 PM

May 29 - 31 at Gateway International Raceway, at the Muscle Car Race, there will be a Nostalgia Pro Stock class.
Posted By: HMcCandless_Jr

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/11/09 11:37 PM

hmmmmmm, So whats the deal with the transmission? Can you run an automatic w a transbrake or is this for 3 pedals only?

Herb McCandless Jr

Oh yea Ten seconds wasnt the min in 70. My dad won indy with a 9.96 I think.
Posted By: RacerGofKGB

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/11/09 11:54 PM

Is there a list of rules somewhere?
Posted By: sixpakdodge

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/12/09 01:25 AM

If I can run a 'glide, I will run my Horizon.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/12/09 01:12 PM

Quote:

hmmmmmm, So whats the deal with the transmission? Can you run an automatic w a transbrake or is this for 3 pedals only?

Herb McCandless Jr

Oh yea Ten seconds wasnt the min in 70. My dad won indy with a 9.96 I think.

The NHRA rule book actually permitted both automatic and manual transmissions in early Pro Stock, even though the only automatic I'm aware of was the '71 Missle. So, yes, any transmission will be permitted. The ten second minimum referred to the minimum (slowest) time the cars were expected to run in 1970. I'll post detailed rules here later this week. We can then massage them with the input from all of you before turning them over to Goodguys.

Also here's another photo for you. This is Mike Fons second Challenger which was built by the Rod Shop. It was never campaigned, as they switched their efforts to a new 73 Dart Sport, which Fons ran briefly before being fired from the team. The Challenger was sold and raced locally, then ended up with Donnie Chapman and family in NMCA and later sold by Fred Englehart. The car was restored by a gentleman in Dayton, Ohio, who unfortunately passed away last year. His family is considering selling the car. If not, his sons have shown interest in racing with us. This photo was taken last summer at National Trail.

Attached picture 5224095-8113_1.jpg

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/13/09 12:17 AM

First off since this is an index race why exclude anyone? Let everyone race even the lighter cars. I cant see cutting anyone out in the 70's or even up to 82. Its a glorified bracket race and you have 4 classes. There is no reason not to let the vega's, colt's, and mustang's run. That is my opinion but you dont have enough cars to fill 4 classes with this short of notice.

What do you guys think?

Herb Jr

Post deleted by Defbob - 05/13/09 12:32 AM

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/13/09 01:46 AM

Kinda O/T, but what happened to the Motown Missile since Kevin passed away? Will it be campaigned in this series?
Posted By: Dave Watt

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/13/09 02:06 AM

Quote:

First off since this is an index race why exclude anyone? Let everyone race even the lighter cars. I cant see cutting anyone out in the 70's or even up to 82. Its a glorified bracket race and you have 4 classes. There is no reason not to let the vega's, colt's, and mustang's run. That is my opinion but you dont have enough cars to fill 4 classes with this short of notice.

What do you guys think?

Herb Jr

This will be a great series to watch, should be fun for all of you.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/13/09 02:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

What do you guys think?

Herb Jr

Herb,we beat the selection to death here a dozen times. the way they have it represents the early years best.a much truer version until when the small cars came and everything changed as you know . the sub classes let in the small cars and later years in so they can also play. maybe an overall final would work.Regretfully I am not going to run as much as I would have liked to so that's just my

This isnt a heads up race ....this is an INDEX RACE, lets face it. This is nothing but a glorified bracket race. If the cars are done right I see no problem with letting them in. You have 4 classes here and you will be lucky to have 20 cars that is not a show. As a former track promoter you want more than 20 cars in 4 classes. Your allowing automatics which is not correct in my opinion. If you run an auto you should have to footbrake not transbrake. Or you could use a clutch flite. BUT TRANSBRAKES WERENT AROUND BACK THEN AND SHOULDNT BE ALLOWED if we are on the ERA KICK. Just my opinion. If these rules are worked out and put in writing you may see a McCandless Car out there. It will be an early heavey car because I'm not scared of a vega, colt or Mustang. Hell I'm not even scared of a Fairmont!!!!

Herb Jr

Post deleted by Defbob - 05/13/09 04:58 AM

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/13/09 12:34 PM

This wont be a cheap car to do, We will do one but if the class doesnt have good roots it wont make it. Pick a year, make it where a tech council approves every car and lets race. All I need is a 3rd pedal and I'm ready, I wont run this class with an automatic. And if we are ERA specific NO TRANS BRAKES/TWO STEPS. Make them sound like real race cars.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/13/09 02:08 PM

Quote:

This wont be a cheap car to do, We will do one but if the class doesnt have good roots it wont make it. Pick a year, make it where a tech council approves every car and lets race. All I need is a 3rd pedal and I'm ready, I wont run this class with an automatic. And if we are ERA specific NO TRANS BRAKES/TWO STEPS. Make them sound like real race cars.

Too many cliques for it to ever work.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/13/09 02:52 PM

Relax Herb. We're all on the same page here. Keep in mind, this program will be sanctioned by the Goodguys, who only allow vehicles up through 1972. I successfuly made the point to them that Pro cars were updated on a yearly basis and there is little difference from 1972-74. The Omnis and Arrows are an entirely different style of car. What we're looking at doing is a period correct show. That being said, Goodguys does allow later model bodies in their Nitro Funny Car class. The plans are for 2 PS classes (not 4); 1969-74 stock body shell cars and 1972-83 tube chassis or short wheelbase cars. Thanks for your input. Keep it coming!

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/15/09 01:07 PM

Ok, here's the class outlines so far. Class I is non-tube chassis cars, minimum 100 inch wheelbase, 2400 pounds. Class II is stock or aftermarket chassis cars, minimum 92 inch wheelbase, 2100 pounds.

Nostalgia Pro Stock

1. Classes:
Open to vehicles formerly used in Pro Stock competition. The following vehicles are eligible to compete:
Class I: 1969-70 AMC AMX, 1971-74 AMC Javelin, 1971-77 AMC Hornet, 1969-73 Chevrolet Camaro, 1969-74 Chevrolet Nova, 1970-74 Dodge Challenger, 1971-72 Dodge Demon, 1973-76 Dodge Dart Sport 1970-77 Ford Maverick, 1969-70 Mercury Cougar, 1971-77 Mercury Comet, 1969-73 Ford Mustang, 1969-74 Plymouth Barracuda, 1970-76 Plymouth Duster, 1969-73 Pontiac Firebird.
Class II: 1970-78 AMC Gremlin, 1971-77 Chevrolet Vega, 1974-81 Chevrolet Camaro, 1971-78 Dodge Colt, 1976-80 Dodge Aspen, 1978-83 Dodge Challenger, 1978-83 Dodge Omni 024/Charger, 1971-79 Ford Pinto, 1974-81 Ford Mustang II, 1971-73 Plymouth Cricket, 1976-80 Plymouth Volare, 1976-80 Plymouth Arrow, 1978-83 Plymouth Horizon TC3/Turismo, 1974-81 Pontiac Firebird.
Vehicles need not be authentic Pro Stock cars. Clone cars acceptable. Tribute (period correct) cars acceptable. All vehicles must dial at an established class index during eliminations: (8.00, 8.50, 9.00, 9.50, 10.00). Contestants will qualify based on running closest to their index without running quicker, during time trials. Cars will be laddered beginning with the first round of eliminations.

Also, here's another pic for you. This is Billy Stepp's first Challenger which I used to own. It started out as a stock 1970 Hemi Challenger R/T, 4-speed, Hemi Orange. If we're lucky, we'll see this car racing out of Minnesota soon!

Attached picture 5231127-scan0002.jpg

Post deleted by Defbob - 05/15/09 01:41 PM

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/15/09 01:47 PM

Can you run an A engine in an A body 72 Duster or does it have to be a HEMI.

Herb Jr
Posted By: mloboda

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/15/09 07:12 PM

Quote:

... All I need is a 3rd pedal and I'm ready, I wont run this class with an automatic. And if we are ERA specific NO TRANS BRAKES/TWO STEPS. Make them sound like real race cars.

Right on, Herb !
The class will be a flop if automatics are allowed.
Just a glorified bracket race is exactly what you will get-boring. No body cares. You've waited 15 years to get this nostalgia pro stock thing rolling and you immediately ruin it. THE reason the early pro stocks were so popular? They were the ultimate stick shift car. I beg of you, don't do this. It will be a fatal mistake, I promise.
I think the idea is a great one and hope it is a wild success, and it can be,if done correctly.
Good luck !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m13VbDl0JwA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgDEWhcufjU

Post deleted by Defbob - 05/15/09 07:46 PM

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/15/09 08:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

... All I need is a 3rd pedal and I'm ready, I wont run this class with an automatic. And if we are ERA specific NO TRANS BRAKES/TWO STEPS. Make them sound like real race cars.

Right on, Herb !
Just a glorified bracket race is exactly what you will get-boring. No body cares. You've waited 15 years to get this nostalgia pro stock thing rolling and you immediately ruin it. THE reason the early pro stocks were so popular? They were the ultimate stick shift car. I beg of you, don't do this. It will be a fatal mistake, I promise.
I think the idea is a great one and hope it is a wild success, and it can be,if done correctly.
Good luck !

Thanks for the input! Here were the rules straight out of NHRA.
a. 1972 NHRA Rules: Any transmission acceptable with forward and reverse gears. Must remain in conventional location determined by engine used. Manual clutch automatic transmissions are permitted.
b. 1983 NHRA Rules: Any transmission with a maximum of five forward speeds and reverse allowed. Clutchless units accepted. Must remain in conventional location determined by engine used.

We're not in a position to demand that people make large investments for a hobby race. When I created the Max Wedge Shootout in 1993, it was to allow Max Wedge guys to race who couldn't be competitive, or legal, in NHRA Stock Eliminator. I don't have to tell you how wildly successful that class has become. Let's see what this class brings. Listen to Hemi Fred. He's been there, done that.

Attached picture 5231955-GATORNATSSOX.jpg

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/15/09 08:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Right on, Herb !
Good luck !

do you think any more than 1% of the presently potential car owners will be standing in line to spend the 5k plus to change back to a 4 speed ? 833's ain't cutting it in cars like mine and a lenco represents squat in the suggestion. I would have to buy a high dollar trans and clutch .Then change the set up plus learn to make it hook for that $100.00 prize offered 5 times a year.. banging gears is not going to be enjoyed by my 35 year old chassis. then again I could just build a whole car for the class. what will you be running if you join us ?

Fred, I think it would depend on how badly car owners want to get involved with this particular class. It would cost about 7000-10,000 to convert a slush box to a stick. Jerico's are 3500, G- Force 4500 including shifter. Flywheel, pressure plate and disc would be 2000 from Tim Hyatt, 2800 from Rob Youngblood or 3000 from Boninfante.
It is true that it takes time to learn to tune a suspension for a stick, 2-3 TnTs. My 72 Duster has stock frame rails and takes the beating without problems, so will yours. Building a purpose-built car for the class is also a reasonable but expensive way to go. Not sure if my car fits the rules, being a W-2 headed 358 small block. If it does, I would try to make some of the events. See youtube clip.

Post deleted by Defbob - 05/15/09 09:41 PM

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/15/09 10:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Fred, I think it would depend on how badly car owners want to get involved with this particular class. It would cost about 7000-10,000 to convert a slush box to a stick. Jerico's are 3500, G- Force 4500 including shifter. Flywheel, pressure plate and disc would be 2000 from Tim Hyatt, 2800 from Rob Youngblood or 3000 from Boninfante.
It is true that it takes time to learn to tune a suspension for a stick, 2-3 TnTs. My 72 Duster has stock frame rails and takes the beating without problems, so will yours. Building a purpose-built car for the class is also a reasonable but expensive way to go. Not sure if my car fits the rules, being a W-2 headed 358 small block. If it does, I would try to make some of the events. See youtube clip.

let's simplify the above:

Now to run this series I need to spend 10k to change to a 4 speed . NO WAY

I have no problem with the automatic....BUT IF YOU ARE ERA CORRECT NO TRANS BRAKES OR TWO STEPS ON THE STARTING LINE. You can run a high side with a lenco or stick.

Lenco's killed match racing. Face it they did. It took the real drivers out of the cars.

ALLOW YOUR AUTOMATIC JUST MAKE IT ERA CORRECT.....

I ran the first trans brake ever built for a torqueflight at Gainesville FL. I know when it was and I didnt turn 16 until 1984.

Herb Jr

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/16/09 02:43 AM

Quote:

a. 1972 NHRA Rules: Any transmission acceptable with forward and reverse gears. Must remain in conventional location determined by engine used. Manual clutch automatic transmissions are permitted.
b. 1983 NHRA Rules: Any transmission with a maximum of five forward speeds and reverse allowed. Clutchless units accepted. Must remain in conventional location determined by engine used.

We're not in a position to demand that people make large investments for a hobby race. When I created the Max Wedge Shootout in 1993, it was to allow Max Wedge guys to race who couldn't be competitive, or legal, in NHRA Stock Eliminator. I don't have to tell you how wildly successful that class has become. Let's see what this class brings. Listen to Hemi Fred. He's been there, done that.

Other than the early Motown Missle with a clutchflite, I NEVER saw an early pro stock car with anything other than a 4 speed. Neither has anyone else. You are selling them a pig with lipstick. Spectators won't buy it.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/16/09 03:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Other than the early Motown Missle with a clutchflite, I NEVER saw an early pro stock car with anything other than a 4 speed. Neither has anyone else. You are selling them a pig with lipstick. Spectators won't buy it.

We're not reinventing history, we're just honoring it.

Attached File
5232646-untitle71mm.bmp  (241 downloads)

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/16/09 03:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

We're not reinventing history, we're just honoring it.

My dad made his living racing in this era and a very good one at that. I will have a car for this series if possible.

I need this question answered as I have mentioned it 3x with no answer.

WILL TRANSBRAKES BE ALLOWED?

Please answer this question.

Herb McCandless Jr

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/16/09 03:16 AM

In 1979, S&M experimented with a Powerglide in the IHRA Hemi match-race Omni that I own.
Trivia for the day,
Reed in Neb.

Post deleted by Defbob - 05/16/09 03:31 AM

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/16/09 03:31 AM

Your missing the point. DId it have a transbrake? Yes or NO. Chic Denino is a very good friend of my dad's. I think I know the answer.

Herb Jr
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/16/09 03:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You are selling them a pig with lipstick. Spectators won't buy it.

I respect your opinion and the right to have one but it's only an opinion and not based on facts.With ten years of experience to draw from I can tell a completely different story.
Come watch me make 8.50 passes with my p/glide. I am the only original high dollar pro stock car that I know in the country that does that.then come back to the pits when the crowd gathers.Talk to the people and the first comment always is how great it was and the feelings it gave them to see a piece of history making full out runs. Seldom if any fans even notice the trans choice or make comments about the trans . when told why I run the p/g not once have a heard a negative remark. the trans choice issue is far overwelmed by the satisfaction of seeing the car again.Fans want to see the actual cars race. Replacement drivelines are immaterial

Fred, i respect your opinion also but I also know that people like to see a person drive and actually shift a race car. Not just stage, put your thumb on a button and floor it, release the button and off you go letting the MSD do the calculated shifting. I won't get into the throttle stop class that most people don't understand and think it's just stupid. I've had people come up to me after a run and say it was worth the price of admission to watch a 4-speed car and a person who can shift go down the track and i don't have a old pro stock car or even a good looking car. I vote for no automatics

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/16/09 04:01 AM

It's hard/impossible to please everyone when you are trying something new.
Best of luck with your association !

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/16/09 04:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You are selling them a pig with lipstick. Spectators won't buy it.

I respect your opinion and the right to have one but it's only an opinion and not based on facts.With ten years of experience to draw from I can tell a completely different story.
Come watch me make 8.50 passes with my p/glide. I am the only original high dollar pro stock car that I know in the country that does that.then come back to the pits when the crowd gathers.Talk to the people and the first comment always is how great it was and the feelings it gave them to see a piece of history making full out runs. Seldom if any fans even notice the trans choice or make comments about the trans . when told why I run the p/g not once have a heard a negative remark. the trans choice issue is far overwelmed by the satisfaction of seeing the car again.Fans want to see the actual cars race. Replacement drivelines are immaterial

Fred, i respect your opinion also but I also know that people like to see a person drive and actually shift a race car. Not just stage, put your thumb on a button and floor it, release the button and off you go letting the MSD do the calculated shifting. I won't get into the throttle stop class that most people don't understand and think it's just stupid. I've had people come up to me after a run and say it was worth the price of admission to watch a 4-speed car and a person who can shift go down the track and i don't have a old pro stock car or even a good looking car. I vote for no automatics

Everyone knows I'm not a chevy guy but a 62 year old man named Mike Boyles, Who drives a 57 Chevy wagon with a 283 and a 4 speed won an IHRA points race is Super Stock last week. The car run a modified type motor and leaves with wheels 3 feet in air for 3 gears. There was a betting section at this track and EVERYONE wanted to see this car win. The car is "good ole Charlie Brown", its been a race car since 1972 and has been raced for 37 straight years. The bottom line is I was pulling for him also as he and my dad go back a long way. Why was I pulling for him? What more cooler than a 283 manually shifted 4 speed wagon NOT A JERICO SISSY MATIC.

Herb Jr

NOW MY NEXT QUESTION, ARE TRANSBRAKES LEGAL OR NOT?

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/16/09 04:45 AM

"Your missing the point. DId it have a transbrake? Yes or NO. Chic Denino is a very good friend of my dad's. I think I know the answer."
-------------------------------------------------If this was directed at me Herbjr then --
Yes,the S&M Omni was experimented with a PG and a trans-brake (Chick & Ronnie both tested it) --- trans wasn't reliable enuff so they went back to the Lenco. That is one of the reason's that I restored the Omni that way - something different but yet correctly documented.
Talked to Chick and your Dad today, they're some of the finest gentlemen that I both respect and admire. Chick helped me a LOT with the restoration of the S&M "Jet X" Omni - I can never thank him enough !
Herbjr, Feel free to call me at: 308-380-8630.
Thank you, Reed in Neb.

Post deleted by Defbob - 05/16/09 07:40 AM

Posted By: MoparMichael

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/16/09 09:23 AM

have arrow on jig. let me know for sure about this class want to build clone of leals arrow. was going to stretch wheel base to 104 and run top sportsman but would rather do this deal. let me know on trans. also. thanks.maybe this deal will come thur.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/16/09 12:05 PM

Quote:

the fans don't know a trans brake leave from a stick.

That has to the the stupidest thing I've ever seen posted on a message board.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/16/09 04:06 PM

fans love ford chevy mopar matches just look at nascar.this is going to be great. will talk to some old timers down here in the south and let them know its a go.been waiting a long time fo something like this. thanks

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/16/09 04:24 PM

"What more cooler than a 283 manually shifted 4 speed wagon NOT A JERICO SISSY MATIC."

Well, I saw Jack Mullin's 421 SD Wagon (SS/O?) circa 1975 run in a Division 2 race at Bradenton. That was a fun car to watch as Jack banged the gears in that big ol' wagon. That Chevy wagon sounds like one of the Jr. Stockers from the late 1960s. There is a guy that runs in Division 4 with a 55-57 Chevy (not a wagon) that runs a 4-speed in SS. I think the little engines are fun to watch since they buzz the heck out of them.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/16/09 04:36 PM

One aspect of the Auto vs. Stick debate here is the sticks were quicker in 1970. If they had the torque converters and a Proflite tranny available back then, how many guys would have run one of those? OK, we know Ronnie, Donnie and Herb still would have run the sticks, but I would guess some of the lesser masters of the 4-speed might have switched. Not all of us are that good.

On the other hand, the 4-speed still sounds better and reflects the era better. I'm for keeping it period correct, but the automatics were legal at the time. I don't think the Clutchflite was reliable. SS/AH is still exciting even though most have the auto. I think the manual still has a HP/weight break over the auto in that class.
Posted By: theclutcher

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/16/09 04:41 PM

Some will take offense but hopefully appreciate my .02 cents.
I know for a fact, the people do know the difference between a manual and an automatic.
In staging lanes see v-gate and look twice.
on track complete different attitude of car motion.
There is know way a 2 speed slush box is representitive of a nostalgic pro stocker.
A lenco is even pushing the limit but is more acceptable than a converter.
Dont insult the people that lived and achieved all they did with a compromise because of convenience.
To earn respect of them, keep it correct in spite of difficulties, just as it was done back then.
Sure there are costs, what doesnt.
What is factual?
Posted By: drag318

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/16/09 10:45 PM

Mopar + powerglide =

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/17/09 12:43 AM

Quote:

Mopar + powerglide =

I agree. Just because one CAN run a PG, doesn't mean one SHOULD. Now I understand conveinience, consisitency, etc. but remember the purpose of the class is to re-anct & honor those drivers & cars that got many of us so excited about hot rods in the first place. Maybe the unknowing can't tell an auto vs. stick launch but I believe myself & many others can, and besides, who wouldn't want to get back to bangin' gears like the old days? The high-end guys can cetainly afford to convert & the low-buck guys (like myself) would look at it as finally "stepping up" to ProStock and racing like we always wanted to. This is a class that could be as successful as CIFCA is out West. Anyone that sees a CIFCA event isn't expecting 4 or 5 second times--- they want to see something different or perhaps an old favorite running again & that's it. The posters here crying over stick-vs.- automatic are, IMO taking it all too seriously which IS how this whole thing will get killed.Instead the veteran & high-dollar guys should be encouraging everyone to step into the arena instead of bickering amongst themselves over a simple trans swap. Again, remember the purpose of the class, for now, is to have fun.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/17/09 01:38 AM

well said. lets just get it going. and dont forget the grills and beer.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/17/09 03:17 AM

UMMMMMm

I found something. In the 70's if you had an automatic you had to run a coorporate transmission.

All I'm saying is keep them period correct. There were no tranny brakes back then.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/17/09 03:22 AM

Quote:

have arrow on jig. let me know for sure about this class want to build clone of leals arrow. was going to stretch wheel base to 104 and run top sportsman but would rather do this deal. let me know on trans. also. thanks.maybe this deal will come thur.

Like this? BTW I currently own the truck in the background!

Herb Jr. ... I'll post rules on Monday. I hope they'll answer all of your questions and I look forward to your input!

Attached picture 5234384-4819225-ButchLealArrow.jpg

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/17/09 07:41 AM

yep thats the one that does it for me.somebody start a post for mini prostock cars.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/17/09 01:41 PM

Herbs car at the Hemi reunion was absolutely beautiful, what a ride.
833 no pg.

yep arrows and colts, smallblock and manual trans.
---Yummy---

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/17/09 02:24 PM

I drove that car about 100 feet and in the trailer one time, my dad 72 demon I'm talking about. To look at the carb linkage with 1 to 1 on 8 barrels and just think about putting it at 7500 and dumping the clutch is .........well you cant put it in to words. To think his job everyday was to get PAID to match race that car 3 to 4 days a week is hard to imagine.

At the bank:

So what do you do for a living?

"Well I drive a hemi with 2 fours 4 speed with a dana 4 days a week." The banker says, "No not for fun for money."

Haha

Racers today have no idea what is was like back then. They loved what they did and got paid for it. No 500K + rigs, no stringers the racers would talk to you on request, (or at least Herb would).

Have a good day.

Herb McCandless Jr

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/17/09 03:58 PM

yep. after burnout a couple of dry hops WOW better than sex. p.s. would like to send best whishes to dan dvorak after losing his leg.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/17/09 04:54 PM

Some ride for sure, no comparison to an auto.
My last ride was more than I could handle.
Got away from me into 2nd gear, put it ino the opposing lane concrete wall.
Now its sitting waiting funds.
Would I trade it for an auto???
I'd rather walk...
Found issue with brake system that didnt help entire situation.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/17/09 06:49 PM

Quote:

I drove that car about 100 feet and in the trailer one time, my dad 72 demon I'm talking about. To look at the carb linkage with 1 to 1 on 8 barrels and just think about putting it at 7500 and dumping the clutch is .........well you cant put it in to words. To think his job everyday was to get PAID to match race that car 3 to 4 days a week is hard to imagine.

AND that's what I'm talking about. We've gotten so lazy thhat we forget this whole race "thing is a demonstration of skill. Oh definitely reaction times are a essential, but once you leave the line, c'mon, GET BACK TO WORK! My Altered is a kick,& about 3 sec. quicker than my old SBC-powered Pinto that had been an old P/S ateempt years ago ---wish I had it back. WHy? I HAD TO SHIFT IT! So the speed isn't the only thing here, it's the work,& skill involved intrying to get this type of cars down the track. It WOULD be interesting to see an automatic P/S car but more for "freak" value than anything else. Put an auto ina P/S car and all you have (really) is a S/C car that everyone else has................

Racers today have no idea what is was like back then.

Herb McCandless Jr

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/18/09 12:37 PM

Ok, here’s the PRELIMINARY rules. To summarize, this is a nostalgia footbrake class. The intent is to put on a show, for fun, which participants can compete in affordably. Hemi, Big Block and Small Block engines (with a weight reduction) are eligible to compete. No trans brakes or 2 steps. Automatics allowed, though not encouraged in new builds. Let the shredding begin…

Nostalgia Pro Stock

1. Classes:
Footbrake class open to vehicles formerly used in Pro Stock competition. Vehicles need not be authentic former Pro Stock cars. Clone cars acceptable. Tribute (period correct) cars acceptable. The following vehicles are eligible to compete:
Class I: 1969-70 AMC AMX, 1971-74 AMC Javelin, 1971-77 AMC Hornet, 1969-73 Chevrolet Camaro, 1969-74 Chevrolet Nova, 1970-74 Dodge Challenger, 1971-72 Dodge Demon, 1973-76 Dodge Dart Sport 1970-77 Ford Maverick, 1969-70 Mercury Cougar, 1971-77 Mercury Comet, 1969-73 Ford Mustang, 1969-74 Plymouth Barracuda, 1970-76 Plymouth Duster, 1969-73 Pontiac Firebird.
Class II: 1970-78 AMC Gremlin, 1971-77 Chevrolet Vega, 1974-81 Chevrolet Camaro, 1971-78 Dodge Colt, 1976-80 Dodge Aspen, 1978-83 Dodge Challenger, 1978-83 Dodge Omni 024/Charger, 1971-79 Ford Pinto, 1974-81 Ford Mustang II, 1971-73 Plymouth Cricket, 1976-80 Plymouth Volare, 1976-80 Plymouth Arrow, 1978-83 Plymouth Horizon TC3/Turismo, 1974-81 Pontiac Firebird.
All vehicles must dial at an established class index during eliminations: (8.00, 8.50, 9.00, 9.50, 10.00). Contestants will qualify based on running closest to their index without running quicker, during time trials. Vehicles may not run quicker than their index during eliminations. Cars will be laddered beginning with the first round of eliminations.

2. Ballast:
Removable ballast limited to 250 pounds. Weight must be installed in acceptable weight box, installed in trunk and attached to the frame or cross member. No liquid or loose ballast permitted.

3: Body:
a. Class I: Minimum wheelbase 100 inches. Original steel body shell must be retained. Bodies in white acceptable. Alterations permitted if retaining an overall stock appearance. Excessive weight reduction must not be visible. Fiberglass or other lightweight body panels are allowed for front fenders, hood, doors, bumpers, splash panels, valance panels and deck lid.
Class II: Minimum wheelbase 92 inches. Original steel body shell required. Alterations permitted if retaining an overall stock appearance. Fiberglass or other lightweight body panels are allowed for front fenders, hood, doors, bumpers, splash panels, valance panels and deck lid.
b. Fender Splash Pans: Full inner panels are not required.
c. Firewall: Firewall may be moved rearward from stock location for engine installation. May be replaced with .028 inch steel or .040 inch aluminum.
d. Floors: May be replaced with .028 inch steel or .040 inch aluminum.
e. Frame: Class I: Must use stock frame for car body used. Properly reinforced stepped frames permitted. Cross members may only be altered or relocated for engine or transmission clearance. Additional members may be added for roll cage installation. Class II: Any properly reinforced frame (tube chassis) permitted. Additional members may be added for roll cage installation.
f. Grille: Must be full production for make, model and year claimed. Covering in front of grille prohibited. Vehicle must retain stock head lamps, tail lamps and turn signals.
g. Hood/Scoop: Hood required in all classes. Hood may be modified to clear intake manifold. Era-correct (snorkel, lump) hood scoop required. No “aero” scoops permitted.
h. Interior: Upholstered aftermarket front bucket type seats permitted (two required). Rear seat may be removed. Aftermarket dashboard with aftermarket gauges allowed.
i. Spoilers: OEM spoilers allowed. All rear spoilers other than those originally factory installed must not be more than four inches high and must be mounted behind the rear axle. Any rear spoiler must be integrated into the overall body design and be painted to match. No air dams.
j. Windows: Windshield and windows must be of safety glass, Lexan, Plexiglass, or other shatter-proof material. Windows not required to be operative.
k. Wheel Tubs: Wheel tubs of any size are allowed if legal wheels and tires are positioned in stock location relative to exterior body lines.

4. Brakes:
Brakes required on all four wheels. Aftermarket units allowed. Line-locks permitted.

5. Chassis:
Sub frames may be joined. Rear frame may be moved in or reconstructed for rear tire and wheel tub clearance. Roll cage required in all vehicles per NHRA General Regulation 4:11. Vehicles must have current NHRA chassis inspection sticker.

6. Drivetrain:
a. Any transmission with a maximum of five forward speeds and reverse allowed. Clutchless units accepted. Must remain in conventional location determined by engine used.
b. Rear End: Any rear end allowed, provided it was original equipment in an American production car. Aftermarket housings and axles, along with any gear ratio, are allowed.
c. Driveshaft Loop: Required.

7. Electrical:
Battery may be relocated. Electrically driven fans and water pumps permitted. Charging system not required.

8. Electronics:
a. The following electronics are not permitted; timed ignition interruption devices (stutter boxes), delay boxes, air and mechanical throttle stops, trans brakes, air shifters, dual line locks.
b. Computers and Data Recorders are allowed as long as they do not activate any function of the vehicle. Playback tachometers are allowed. No front wheel, hub or drive shaft pickups.
c. Electronic ignition components are permitted. Rpm limiters may be used for burnout and high side only, not as a launch device. 2 and 3 Step Module Selectors not permitted.

9. Engine:
a. Block: Restricted to original assembly line block or aftermarket replacement block. Must be same make as body used. Aluminum blocks allowed. Any displacement and internal modifications are allowed.
b. Carburetion: Limited to two four-barrel American automotive carburetors.
c. Cylinder Heads: Aluminum aftermarket heads allowed. Must retain original external overall appearance. Any internal modifications allowed.
d. Intake Manifold: Any dual four intake manifold permitted.
e. Oiling System: Dry sump systems permitted.

10. Exhaust:
Open headers allowed.

11. Fuel:
Only gasoline fuel is permitted. Aftermarket fuel cells, electric fuel pumps and regulators allowed. No nitrous oxide.

12. Ignition:
Any aftermarket ignition systems, wiring and electronic conversion kits are allowed. See “General Racing Rules” for electronics restrictions.

13. Radiator:
Any size radiator in stock location allowed. 16 oz. catch can required.

14. Safety:
a. Helmets: Must meet SNELL or SFI 31.2A or 41.2A specifications. All helmets must have the appropriate certification sticker affixed inside the helmet.
b. Protective Clothing: Jacket and pants must meet SFI Spec 3.2A/5.
c. Seat Belts: Required in all vehicles. Three inch safety harness must meet SFI Spec 16.1 and be less than two years old.

15. Steering:
Stock type steering in conventional location required. Rack and pinion steering permitted.

16. Suspension:
Aftermarket front suspension permitted. Front suspension limiters permitted. Sway bar optional. Solid bushings in rear suspension allowed. Leaf springs may be moved inboard for tire clearance. Ladder bars or four-link rear suspensions allowed. Wheelie bars allowed.

17. Tires:
Front tires must have a minimum tread width of 4.5 inches. Rear slicks are permitted and are limited to a maximum side wall designation of 14.5 inches of width by 33 inches of diameter. Tire tread may not extend outside of fender. Maximum clearance between sidewall and body is 3 inches.

18. Weight:
Class I: Minimum weight 2400 pounds. Vehicle with 366 cubic inch engine or less may weigh 2100 pounds.
Class II: Minimum weight 2100 pounds.

19. Wheelbase:
Modifications permitted, +/- 1 inch. Alterations may not exceed 2%. Wink, wink.

20. Wheels:
Minimum 3.5 inches width required on the front. Any rear width is allowed as long as it fits under the stock wheel well opening.

21. Rule Discrepancy: In the event of a rule discrepancy or if a subject is not covered herein, defer to the current NHRA rule book based on vehicle Elapsed Time.

22. Technical Inspection: The guidelines set within, and the safety rules set forth by NHRA are intended solely as the minimum acceptable standards. Safety is the responsibility of the participant. Prior to competition, all vehicles and drivers must pass the host facility’s tech inspection. NHRA safety regulations supersede any and all other regulations. The final interpretation of any and all rules concerning safety is solely at the discretion of the host facility’s Tech Director. NNPSA makes no representations, warranties, or assurances that a technical inspection will: detect every problem with a vehicle or a driver’s personal equipment or clothing; detect every problem with rules compliance, or prevent injury, death or property damage. All materials copyright 2009 Jeff Johnson and the National Nostalgic Pro Stock Association.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/18/09 12:59 PM

You could see a McCandless running this possibly. It wont be Herb Sr. But Myself and Mike may.

Herb Jr

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/18/09 01:54 PM

Thanks Herb. Tell the "old man" I said hi.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/18/09 03:01 PM

I'll give it a try.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/18/09 03:29 PM

Jeff,
Have you talked with John Troxel and Scott Gardner, promoters of the "Midwest Nostalgia Pro Stock Series" ??
Their rules are similar and I think you have a better chance of having new cars built if there are a couple of venues at which the racers can participate using the same rules. I'm, of course, partial to their rules as they specify 4 speed only transmissions. It will be interesting as to which series will become more popular. I have a hunch. Heres a link to a Drag Racing Online article covering their series:
http://www.dragracingonline.com/agent1320/2009/1320-xi_1-13.html

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/18/09 05:15 PM

Hmmm Nostalgia Footbrake.
Gonna pass on that.

Thanks all the same.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/18/09 06:53 PM

From what I read, they are only considering a series. With those limited rules and the fact that most owners of original cars will not race theirs, where are they getting their car count? Having done this before, 8 cars is a stretch. 16 cars? No way. Especially with the auto/trans brake/2-step debate. Our series is a done deal. We just need to compromise on the final rules. Please keep the input coming! BTW: your Duster... das what I'm talkin' 'bout!

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/18/09 06:56 PM

Quote:

Gonna pass on that.

Thanks all the same.

How about Nostalgia Delay Box?

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/18/09 07:55 PM

They do have 3 races booked- St. Louis. Kansas City and Cordova.
Posted By: mopacltd

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/18/09 08:31 PM

Looks like my '74 Colt will not fit the Class II body requirements.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/18/09 08:59 PM

Quote:

Looks like my '74 Colt will not fit the Class II body requirements.

Why is that?

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/18/09 09:29 PM

I can remove the cover over the grille, but I do not have the factory head lights(decal now) and the front turn signals have been removed and filled in.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/18/09 11:16 PM

Chucko, you can pretty easily find those parts---I'll happily pit for you!
!!
Posted By: 1moparcrazy

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/19/09 12:16 PM

Our deal is a done deal. The class & rules as listed on Drag Racing Online will be contested at the Muscle Car Reunion & Nostalgia Drags May 29-31, Gateway International Raceway; Nostalgia Fest, Cordova Raceway June 26-27; Muscle Car Reunion & Nostalgia Drags, September 11-13, Kansas City Internationa Raceway. I won't have time to debate this class here as we are getting ready for our event in St. Louis, so, if you have questions call us directly. Our event phone is 573-644-3272. Our events are 1974 and back, the rules are simple. We don't want another class that takes a specialized team of tech guys to tech the cars. If you want to run, be there. If no one shows this year, it's simple, the class goes away. We are not interested in running the class above with those rules. Not one person is pre registered for the class and pre registration is closed with over 200 cars entered for St Louis. We expect close to 500 cars, 400 competed last year. If no one supports the class our events continue on, but, we would like to have another heads up class other than the alcohol & nitro classes.
John Troxel
www.musclecarreunion.com

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/19/09 01:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Gonna pass on that.

Thanks all the same.

How about Nostalgia Delay Box?

Those rules put a manual trans at a disadvantage right off the get go.

The stall of the converter is basically a low side rpm limiter.
A manual trans is less consistant at launch without a low side chip.
Allow a 2 step with the manuals and maybe you would encourage their usage.
The playing field would be equal then.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/19/09 01:38 PM

Quote:

Scott is right about that. There is no reason not to allow two steps on a stick car.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/19/09 02:56 PM

Sorry John. I had no idea you were that far along. I meant no disrespect. My friend Jeff Martin at KCIR tells me your events are fantastic. We'll talk when things slow down.

Also here's a pic I took of Jim Thompson's 340 Pro Stock - B/A Colt at the 1976 Springs.

Attached picture 5239229-scan0003.jpg

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/19/09 03:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Scott is right about that. There is no reason not to allow two steps on a stick car.

I agree. I'm been PM'd by others. Consider 2-Steps allowed with a stick.

Here's Kevin's Missle in 1978.

Attached picture 5239245-ttown2.jpg

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/19/09 03:37 PM

Quote:

I agree. I'm been PM'd by others. Consider 2-Steps allowed with a stick.

Thanks Jeff !

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/19/09 05:54 PM

That would change things from my perspective also.
Did enough of "no 2 step" vs footbrake to know about it.
Thanks.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/19/09 07:30 PM

If you think a footbrake automatic has an advantage on a PRO Tree over a Stick what the hell are you drinking. This is a Pro Tree class isnt it? If so there is NO way you can leave footbraking with a stick. If you think you can lets go grudge race somewhere just bring lots of $$$$$$$$.

Herb Jr

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/19/09 08:29 PM

Quote:

If you think a footbrake automatic has an advantage on a PRO Tree over a Stick what the hell are you drinking. This is a Pro Tree class isnt it? If so there is NO way you can leave footbraking with a stick. If you think you can lets go grudge race somewhere just bring lots of $$$$$$$$.

Herb Jr

Regardless of tree a clutch without a two step is not as consistant as a converter and a footbrake, imo.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/19/09 10:44 PM

The early days of Super Gas where you had no Electronics Herb McCandless won ever local race for 3 years, 2 nhra points races he only went to 3 and an IHRA race. This was early 80's. Ill take my 3rd pedal against any footbrake automatic on a 400 pro tree. But you can run what you want. I ran a lenco bracket racing in the late 80's with no 2 step on the low side, never broke anything. Believe it or not but DRIVERS USE TO HAVE TO DRIVE. Thats what seperated the men from the ......ones trying to be men.

Herb McCandless Jr

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/19/09 11:37 PM

If this is to be a "Pro" class, then there should be some "pro" driving. With all due respect to guys out there that are better than me (and there are ALOT out there) I don't need to see a glorified bracket race with guys using high-dollar, historical vehicles (or copies) that are nursing them along with modern-day electronics & gadgetry --- it's too easy. Now if, in your view, using your car means it may get damaged, or whatever, fine --don't run the series. Guys like me can respect you & your car for what it was and let's everyone be happy. But for the serious admirer of good 'ol P/S-match racing this is where the series can shine & the teams can get a loyal, active following, just like the old days.If I could ever get rid of this Altered I'd seriously look at building a car for this despite living a thousand miles away--- come to think of it, I may build one anyway . Any how, th epoint is, as I said before some guys are forgetting the purpose of the series and what it represents. Look at the original ideas, think it over & if you like it, run it. This trying to make exceptions/excuses for cars seems to me, as a racer & a potential spectator is BS-----just my
Posted By: SCDaytona

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/20/09 12:22 AM

Sorry, but I got to go with keeping the cars as they were originally run . With a stick! Plus allowing Data recorders? No such device in the 70's. I loved watching the old Pro Stocks and have a few pictures of those cars in the 70's when I visisted Englishtown back then. Every year we have 2 nostaligia days at LVD and my favorite cars are always the stick shifted cars. To those that can't tell the difference of a 4 speed vs. glide, just look at the shifter!

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/20/09 12:32 AM

Well your right Joe, at least with a STICK you dont have to put it in Park.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/20/09 12:45 AM

I don't recall the Pro tree being around in the early 1970s. Didn't they run off the old five yellow tree back then?

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/20/09 09:52 PM

Sort of off topic... I've come to the realization that time constraints and family will not allow me to complete my own Nostalgia Pro Stock project. Ergo, I offer my 73 Duster, rust free TX car with a brand new 9" and 4 link. Thought I'd throw it out here before I put it on eBay next week. $7500. PM if interested. Thanks.

Attached picture 5242319-scan.jpg

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/20/09 10:55 PM

Quote:

I don't recall the Pro tree being around in the early 1970s. Didn't they run off the old five yellow tree back then?

1971 Was pro tree, we are checking on 70.

Post deleted by Defbob - 05/21/09 12:04 AM

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/21/09 02:57 PM

Well, I DO have a spare set... Will these work Fred?

Attached picture 5243659-Flys.jpg

Post deleted by Defbob - 05/21/09 03:30 PM

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/21/09 04:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Sort of off topic... I've come to the realization that time constraints and family will not allow me to complete my own Nostalgia Pro Stock project. Ergo, I offer my 73 Duster, rust free TX car with a brand new 9" and 4 link. Thought I'd throw it out here before I put it on eBay next week. $7500. PM if interested. Thanks.

the wheels are incorrect

A guy with an automatic in his car is going to talk about another guys wheels.

Lets see if he has a picture of a LENCO.
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/21/09 05:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

the wheels are incorrect

A guy with an automatic in his car is going to talk about another guys wheels.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/21/09 06:00 PM

Attached picture 5243995-trans.jpg

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/22/09 02:05 PM

Forget Roy Hill. Check out the Shelby Mustang Pro Stocker parked next to him. National Trail 1975.

Attached picture 5245730-scan0005.jpg

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/22/09 03:33 PM

Quote:

Forget Roy Hill. Check out the Shelby Mustang Pro Stocker parked next to him. National Trail 1975.

\

OMG how could you forget Roy Hill, you must have never met him!!!! He is one wide open person. If you ever see him shake his hand he will talk to you.

HErb Jr

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/22/09 07:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

\

OMG how could you forget Roy Hill, you must have never met him!!!! He is one wide open person. If you ever see him shake his hand he will talk to you.

HErb Jr

I've had the pleasure on more than one occasion. What a character! Of all the old heads I've talked to, Hill and Herb Sr. are the only ones who remember the cars like it was yesterday. I love the fact that he used to be in "collections."
Here's Roy in 1978 (I think).

Attached picture 5246296-scan.jpg

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/23/09 06:45 PM

how about ride height ? building the arrow count me in

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/23/09 07:45 PM

I've never met Roy Hill personally, but I've seen him on TV and he reminds me of a drill sargeant in basic training. I suppose in some way that is what he is at driving school, but I think I'd try Frank Hawley first. Hopefully Roy doesn't make you do 100 pushups if you screw up?

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/24/09 02:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

\

HErb Jr

I've had the pleasure on more than one occasion. What a character! Of all the old heads I've talked to, Hill and Herb Sr. are the only ones who remember the cars like it was yesterday. I love the fact that he used to be in "collections."
Here's Roy in 1978 (I think).

Thats because Roy and Herb built their cars they raced. When you put your heart and soul into what you do you never forget. I have worked with Roy the last few years on some stuff. He is one character and will talk to anyone, especially if you have DD's.

Herb Jr

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/24/09 04:03 AM

So when & where is the first race? And what kind of car count do you have so far?
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/24/09 05:10 AM

Quote:

the most important fan friendly thing to create and build an interest would more than likely be the eras correct appearance regarding wheels , paint schemes and hood scoops that would set them apart from other cars at the track that day.

yep

the cars will have updated safety stuff, would we want to go backwards on that front as well.

new trans setups will help keep up the car count
Posted By: Frito

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/24/09 11:41 AM

Quote:

Well, I DO have a spare set... Will these work Fred?

Motor wheel Flys??? I bought the x Flack & Comstock car in the early 80s, Sold the Flys and put on super tricks. Regreted it from day one!!!

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/26/09 02:10 PM

Quote:

So when & where is the first race? And what kind of car count do you have so far?

OK here's the latest update on the NNPSA. I've spoken to the higher ups at Goodguys' Vintage Racing Association and we've decided to open with a bang rather than a wimper. Our first event will be at the Nostalgia Nationals at Beech Bend in Bowling Green, KY, October 16-18, followed by Z-Max Raceway in Charlotte, October 30. We'll postpone Columbus and Norwalk, OH until next year.

I propose we make this a true National event and honor our friend Kev 73 Missle, dubbing this the Kevin Christner Pro Stock Reunion. We're looking at two 8 car fields (early and late) along with a host of original Pro Stockers for display. Are you listening, Todd? We'll have major magazine coverage, so you guys have all summer to get to the paint shop!

For 2010 we'll have a full program at Indy, Columbus, Norwalk, Rt 66, Bowling Green and Charlotte. We'll also be adding a Nostalgia Super Stock/Max Wedge program, but we're not ready to talk about that just yet.

Revised rules will be posted by the end of this week. Next week we'll take a poll on who's going to be ready to race!

Attached picture 5253020-S&Mjeffjohnson.jpg

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/28/09 12:34 PM

Here are the updated rules.

2009 Nostalgia Pro Stock Rules

1. Classes:
Open to vehicles formerly used in Pro Stock competition. Vehicles need not be authentic former Pro Stock cars. Clone cars acceptable. Tribute (period correct) cars acceptable. The following vehicles are eligible to compete:
Class I: 1969-70 AMC AMX, 1971-74 AMC Javelin, 1971-77 AMC Hornet, 1969-73 Chevrolet Camaro, 1969-74 Chevrolet Nova, 1970-74 Dodge Challenger, 1970-71 Dodge Dart, 1971-72 Dodge Demon, 1973-76 Dodge Dart Sport 1970-77 Ford Maverick, 1969-70 Mercury Cougar, 1971-77 Mercury Comet, 1969-73 Ford Mustang, 1969-74 Plymouth Barracuda, 1970-76 Plymouth Duster, 1969-73 Pontiac Firebird.
All vehicles must dial at an established class index during eliminations: (8.50, 9.00, 9.50, 10.00). Contestants will qualify based on running closest to their index without running quicker, during time trials. Vehicles may not run quicker than their index during eliminations. Cars will be laddered beginning with the first round of eliminations.

2. Ballast:
Removable ballast limited to 250 pounds. Weight must be installed in acceptable weight box, installed in trunk and attached to the frame or cross member. No liquid or loose ballast permitted.

a. Class I: Minimum wheelbase 100 inches. Original steel body shell must be retained. Bodies in white acceptable. Alterations permitted if retaining an overall stock appearance. Excessive weight reduction must not be visible. Fiberglass or other lightweight body panels are allowed for front fenders, hood, doors, bumpers, splash panels, valance panels and deck lid.
Class II: Minimum wheelbase 92 inches. Original steel body shell required. Alterations permitted if retaining an overall stock appearance. Fiberglass or other lightweight body panels are allowed for front fenders, hood, doors, bumpers, splash panels, valance panels and deck lid.
c. Firewall: Firewall may be moved rearward from stock location for engine installation. May be replaced with .028 inch steel or .040 inch aluminum.
e. Frame: Class I: Back-halved cars only. Must use stock frame for car body used. Properly reinforced stepped frames permitted. Cross members may only be altered or relocated for engine or transmission clearance. Class II: Back halved or tube chassis cars. Any properly reinforced frame permitted.
f. Grille: Must be full production for make, model and year claimed. Covering in front of grille prohibited. Vehicle must retain stock head lamps, tail lamps and turn signals.
g. Hood/Scoop: Hood required in all classes. Hood may be modified to clear intake manifold. Era-correct (snorkel, lump) hood scoop required. No “aero” scoops permitted.
h. Interior: Aftermarket front bucket type seats permitted. Rear seat may be removed. Aftermarket replacement dashboard with aftermarket gauges allowed.
i. Paint: Era-correct paint, lettering and decals are encouraged.
j. Spoilers: OEM spoilers allowed. All rear spoilers other than those originally factory installed must not be more than four inches high and must be mounted behind the rear axle. Any rear spoiler must be integrated into the overall body design and be painted to match. No air dams.
k. Windows: Windshield and windows must be of safety glass, Lexan, Plexiglass, or other shatter-proof material. Operative windows not required. “Pro” lettering must be on windows, with no bracket or other class designations.
l. Wheel Tubs: Wheel tubs of any size are allowed if legal wheels and tires are positioned in stock location relative to exterior body lines.

4. Brakes:
Brakes required on all four wheels. Aftermarket units allowed. Line-locks permitted.

5. Chassis:
Sub frames may be joined. Rear frame may be moved in or reconstructed for rear tire and wheel tub clearance. Roll cage required in all vehicles per NHRA General Regulation 4:11. Vehicles must have current NHRA chassis inspection sticker.

6. Drivetrain:
a. Any transmission with a maximum of four forward speeds and reverse allowed. Trans brake permitted with automatic transmission. Clutchless units accepted. Must remain in conventional location determined by engine used.
b. Rear End: Any rear end allowed, provided it was original equipment in an American production car. Aftermarket housings and axles, along with any gear ratio, are allowed.

7. Electrical:
Battery may be relocated. Electrically driven fans and water pumps permitted. Charging system not required.

8. Electronics:
a. The following electronics are not permitted; timed ignition interruption devices (stutter boxes), delay boxes, air and mechanical throttle stops, air shifters, dual line locks.
b. Electronic ignition components are permitted. 2 Step Module Selectors permitted with manual transmission only.

9. Engine:
a. Block: Restricted to original assembly line block or aftermarket replacement block. Must be same make as body used. Aluminum blocks allowed. Any displacement and internal modifications are allowed.
c. Cylinder Heads: Aluminum aftermarket heads allowed. Must retain original external overall appearance. Any internal modifications allowed.
d. Intake Manifold: In-line dual four intake manifold required. Class I: cast only, Class II: sheet metal permitted.
f. No power adders permitted.

10. Exhaust:
Open headers allowed.

11. Fuel:
Only gasoline fuel is permitted. Aftermarket fuel cells, electric fuel pumps and regulators allowed. No nitrous oxide.

12. Ignition:
Any aftermarket ignition systems, wiring and electronic conversion kits are allowed. See “Electronics” restrictions above..

13. Radiator:

14. Safety:
a. Helmets: Must meet SNELL or SFI 31.2A or 41.2A specifications. All helmets must have the appropriate certification sticker affixed inside the helmet.
c. Seat Belts: Required in all vehicles. Three inch safety harness must meet SFI Spec 16.1 and be less than two years old.

15. Steering:
Stock type steering in conventional location required. Rack and pinion steering permitted.

16. Suspension:
Aftermarket front suspension permitted. Front suspension limiters permitted. Solid bushings in rear suspension allowed. Leaf springs may be moved inboard for tire clearance. Ladder bars or four-link rear suspensions allowed. Wheelie bars allowed.

17. Tires:
Front tires must have a minimum tread width of 4.5 inches. Rear slicks are permitted and are limited to a maximum side wall designation of 14.5 inches of width by 33 inches of diameter. Tire tread may not extend outside of fender. Maximum clearance between sidewall and body is 3 inches.

18. Wheelbase:
Modifications and alterations of the era permitted. Vehicle must appear stock to the casual observer.

19. Wheels:
Minimum 3.5 inches width required on the front. Any rear width is allowed as long as it fits under the stock wheel well opening. Era-correct wheels are encouraged.

20. Rule Discrepancy: In the event of a rule discrepancy or if a subject is not covered herein, defer to the current NHRA rule book based on vehicle Elapsed Time. Rule adjustments subject to "spirit of the class" by NNPSA.

21. Technical Inspection: The guidelines set within, and the safety rules set forth by NHRA are intended solely as the minimum acceptable standards. Safety is the responsibility of the participant. Prior to competition, all vehicles and drivers must pass the host facility’s tech inspection. NHRA safety regulations supersede any and all other regulations. The final interpretation of any and all rules concerning safety is solely at the discretion of the host facility’s Tech Director. NNPSA makes no representations, warranties, or assurances that a technical inspection will: detect every problem with a vehicle or a driver’s personal equipment or clothing; detect every problem with rules compliance, or prevent injury, death or property damage. All materials copyright 2009 Jeff Johnson and the National Nostalgic Pro Stock Association.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/28/09 07:35 PM

I'm jazzed about these rules! This is almost exactly the way I envisioned this class should be 3 years ago. I think most folks will be able to do this, without too much trouble. If ya afford to build this type/fast of car, I think this is a worthwhile goal to work towards. Let's face it, nothing looked cooler than the first 2 generations of prostock cars. I guess I'll have to get my butt in gear, and do the last few things to the barndoor..........

Attached File
5258278-postAspen-JoelatSalem  (228 downloads)

Post deleted by Defbob - 05/28/09 07:42 PM

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/29/09 04:37 PM

Looks good to me - remember, you can't please everyone. -- Reed in Neb.
Posted By: LSP

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/30/09 03:28 PM

Why the no tube car rule for class I? The tube chassis cars started coming out in 1972. You are eliminating a bunch of ERA correct cars, for example, the Roy Hill (ex Butch Leal) Duster you have pictured would not be allowed to compete.

We have the John Hagen Pro Stock Duster, the car is being restored right now out west to be identical as it was run in the mid 70's Lenco and all, and I am putting together an ERA correct destroked 396 Pro Stock Hemi to the core, right down to those ungodly heavy steel rods.

Need to say that the McCandless Demon is as correct as I've seen a Mopar Pro Stock resto, job well done.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/31/09 01:22 AM

What about '70-'72 Darts? I know there were a few in P/S during that time.

Also, Wedges are allowed correct? Whether it be big or small block?

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/31/09 04:04 AM

Quote:

Why the no tube car rule for class I? The tube chassis cars started coming out in 1972. You are eliminating a bunch of ERA correct cars, for example, the Roy Hill (ex Butch Leal) Duster you have pictured would not be allowed to compete.

We have the John Hagen Pro Stock Duster, the car is being restored right now out west to be identical as it was run in the mid 70's Lenco and all, and I am putting together an ERA correct destroked 396 Pro Stock Hemi to the core, right down to those ungodly heavy steel rods.

Need to say that the McCandless Demon is as correct as I've seen a Mopar Pro Stock resto, job well done.

You can easily run in Class II. Only the sub compact cars used tube chassis early on. The Hill Duster is from 1975. Bring your car. Let's race!

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/31/09 04:07 AM

Quote:

Wedges are welcome, no problem. Dart Swingers? Give us some examples, please.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/31/09 11:52 AM

Quote:

Only the sub compact cars used tube chassis early on. The Hill Duster is from 1975.
Quote:

Not sure where you got that info from, after Pomona in 1972, most, if not all of the serious pro stock cars were started as tube cars. I'd call class I stock frame regardless of year, and class II tube cars regardless of year, because you could have had it either way back then. The picture may be from 1975, but the Leal/Hill car pictured was started at Butler's late 1972. Our car is still in process, might be able to make a late October race.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/31/09 12:00 PM

I thought the Jenkins 73 Vega, was the first tube-chassis prostock car.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/31/09 12:19 PM

I never looked under the car myself, but I had thought the Jenkins 1972 Vega run at Pomona that year was the very first tube car. Jenkins is also credited with the first dry sump/strut in pro stock, but we have a dry sump system the was on one of the early Missle cars, just not sure which one? Our car was the very first out of the Don Ness Racecraft shop, and had/has a strut front end also.

The point is, there are many late 1972 to 1976 tube cars (Dusters/Darts) that are excluded in the rules as they are written, would be good to add the early tube cars to the Class II section as well.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/31/09 03:00 PM

As I recall, Jenkins '73 car would be considered a back-halved car in modern parlance, in that the front subframe was still there & converted to struts. Which leads to a question---- can such a car run N/PS and if so, is it a class I or II car?

BTW--ANYONE looking for a retiree (54 yrs young) to sign on as a crewmen? PM me PLEASE if you are.
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/31/09 03:53 PM

I believe Jenkins 74 "Shovel nose" vega was his first McPhereson strut car, prior to that they were the conventional Back halved w conventional front UCA/LCA spring cars, I'm sure the original 72 car was (which I believe was the same car he ran in 73), 72 was all white and in 73 he added the candy red. 74 was the 'all new' car but by then the Gapp & Roush, Nicholson and Glidden 351C cars were already starting to become dominant in the Class.

IIRC the 73 weight breaks were 7 lb/ci Hemi, 6.5 Lb/CI Wedge and 6.75/ lb/ci for the Canted valve motors like the BBC and the 351C....Jekins saw he could get the rear weight distribution better with the strut suspension and when Mopar went to a destroked 396 and 366 Hemis the tube frame was really the only way to ge the weight down to competitive numbers. A little later they went to the over under 105" WB break which was aimed at making the Big Blocks more competitive again but unexpectedly brought in the G&R Maverick Taxi and later the 70 Mustangs of Nicholson and Glidden.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/31/09 04:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Only the sub compact cars used tube chassis early on. The Hill Duster is from 1975.
Quote:

Not sure where you got that info from, after Pomona in 1972, most, if not all of the serious pro stock cars were started as tube cars. I'd call class I stock frame regardless of year, and class II tube cars regardless of year, because you could have had it either way back then. The picture may be from 1975, but the Leal/Hill car pictured was started at Butler's late 1972. Our car is still in process, might be able to make a late October race.

Listen to these other guys. Jenkins Vega was NOT a tube chassis, it was back halved. In fact, custom or aftermarket chassis were not even legal until 1974 or 75. Highly modified back halved cars were. The "tube chassis" did not come out until years later. It's what's popular in modern Super Gas/Comp cars, which of course you realize. Carlton's Wire Car, the most expensive and highly engineered car at the time (1975) was not even a tube chassis. Don't let the semantics fool you. A tissue is not a Kleenex, but a Kleenes is a tissue. No era correct car will be denied. FYI, despite the Jenkins claims which I've read about for years, Paul Frost developed the first drag racing dry sump on Billy Stepp's '71 Challenger.

Post deleted by Defbob - 05/31/09 05:23 PM

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/31/09 07:19 PM

Quote:

here's how it was:
The Jenkins 72 Vega was the first tube frame car.
the 74 Vega was the one to first use struts and a dry sump.

I'm not questioning the dry-sump thing. What I'm wondering is, if a car has ANY of its stock frame in it yet the rest of the car is a fabbed chassis, WHAT class does it run? I can see an argument for both sides yet a definite advantage for a tubed frame car. This IS important as the guys not wanting to run the series merely for fun could find themselves protested & possibly found illegal or find themselves at a huge disadvantage.
The PSCA series had a class requiring stock framerails---- guys used the front sub-frame ONLY then abbed up a high-end CM frame beyond that, that TECHNICALLY fit the requirement. I'd hate to see guys gettin' by with that sort of rule-bending.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/31/09 07:23 PM

Quote:

here's how it was:
The Jenkins 72 Vega was the first tube frame car.
the 74 Vega was the one to first use struts and a dry sump.

That's how I understand it to be.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/31/09 07:36 PM

Quote:

Listen to these other guys. Jenkins Vega was NOT a tube chassis, it was back halved. In fact, custom or aftermarket chassis were not even legal until 1974 or 75. Highly modified back halved cars were. The "tube chassis" did not come out until years later.

Click on the following link and start reading about half way down.

http://www.prostockhemi.com/articles/article.php?id=0008

Post deleted by Defbob - 05/31/09 07:45 PM

Post deleted by Defbob - 05/31/09 07:52 PM

Post deleted by Defbob - 05/31/09 07:59 PM

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 06/01/09 12:05 AM

Man, I like the Grotheer livery a bunch better.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 06/01/09 12:49 AM

Despite "no factory participation" there were ALOT of factory cars--Landy, Grotheer, Rod Shop, even Ford Had its "Ford of Canada" drag team, impressive sitting in the pits, but for me the personification & epitome' of professionalism was S&M. My big dream growing up was to work for them- -- too bad I was about 6-8 years too young!

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 06/01/09 06:19 PM

A picture is worth a thousand words, so here's one of a modern tube chassis. This is what we're referring to when we say "tube chassis". Jenkins' car was a back halved car with tubular components, but is was based upon a stock frame. I seriously doubt Roy Hill took Leal's antiquated Duster, stripped off all the body panels and remounted them on a tube chassis. A 12 point cage and a strut front end does not constitute a tube chassis. With due respect to the authors, don't quote an internet article that was written after the fact, or something you see in MCG. Articles are informative and entertaining, but unless it's a technical reference or comes diredtly from the source, it's not gospel. That being said, here's the bottom line: if you show up with a chassis, like what is shown in the attached drawing, with Duster body panels fastened to it, you'll be sent packing immediately. Era correct cars and era correct updates are what we're lookin for. Keep in mind, if you've ever seen Kev's '73 Missle, you know the car was cut hard, but it's still legal because it's not a tube chassis.

OK, time to man up. Who's going to race with us this year? Attach a photo of your car, whether it's finished or not.

Peace.

Attached picture 5265912-CHASAVENGR.jpg

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 06/01/09 06:40 PM

We're gonna try to have one of the Colts ready - Reed in Neb.

Post deleted by Defbob - 06/01/09 08:20 PM

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 06/01/09 08:42 PM

http://forums.carcraft.com/70/662051/gen...tyle/index.html

http://www.butchleal.com/history4.html - scroll about halfway down.

Lots of stock frame in this one - http://www.draglist.com/stories/SOD%20Dec%202000/SOD-120800.htm

Attached picture 5266163-Jenkins72Vega.jpg

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 06/02/09 01:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Wedges are welcome, no problem. Dart Swingers? Give us some examples, please.

Attached picture 5266889-l22.sized.jpg

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 06/02/09 01:20 AM

another

Attached picture 5266894-dart37.jpg

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 06/02/09 01:21 AM

Larry Griffith

Attached picture 5266903-LarryGriffith-2.jpg

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 06/02/09 01:22 AM

And an unknown '71-2 for good measure, lol.

Attached picture 5266907-0GreenEdge-vi.jpg

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 06/02/09 01:23 AM

Winner's Circle

Attached picture 5266909-2208588-1_16BFTP_lambeck_bigger.jpg

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 06/02/09 01:31 AM

Fred, You sure your ready for Z-Max ??? It's 4 lane's wide and all 4 are as sticky at the tree as they are @ the bottom end ( first hand experince) in good weather (and October in Charlotte will be perfect) everyone is usely .1 to.2 better than anywhere else. !!!

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 06/02/09 03:18 AM

Quote:

Winner's Circle

Fair enough. Bring one!

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 06/10/09 03:51 PM

It's funny how this thread just died after I asked for commitments from racers...

Attached picture 5283871-rollovercolor5.jpg

Post deleted by Defbob - 06/10/09 06:19 PM

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 06/10/09 07:29 PM

Oh, I don't think it died---rather guys are assessing their combo, perhaps the value of their cars & how race-worthy their equipment is. also you have guys in the West & Mid-West that simply find an Easctcoast inaugural race too far to tow to. Perhaps I'm being too kind but withthe economy the way it is, I can see towing being an issue & for the guys with genuine old P/S --remember alot of these guys buy 'em for museums or as investments & they're not gonna risk their investment (especially now) for anything.
If my chassis guy had gotten his a$$ in gear I'd have aDart to use in Cat.I.........buuuut

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 06/10/09 08:58 PM

Well, I have two cars to finish and sort out. The easier, will be the WO car. If one of you rich guys wants to help out, I'll get them both done for nostalgia racing, asap.

Post deleted by Defbob - 06/10/09 10:11 PM

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 06/21/09 12:15 AM

A little bit of a bump...

Attached picture 5305322-001.JPG

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 06/21/09 01:13 AM

that never stopped me

And it's appreciated, believe me! But alot of guys , unfortunatly just ain't gonna run a 100-350k car, 30-40 year old car like they were meant to. My guess is you'll see alot of reproductions (not a bad thing) once the class gets going and if they run too quick due to todays technology then you'll have the issue of the guy possibly having to be upgraded and therefore losing it's originality and/or value.
Don't get me wrong---I still LOVE the idea, want to build a car for it ( I love Bobby Yowell's cars) and run in "class I" . But I think that as the class progresses some guys are gonna drop out or sandbag making it kinda tough for the hardcore racers to have a good, fun, competitive field.
Posted By: chryco

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 06/21/09 01:36 AM

Yeah ! What about 68 / 69 Darts ? Lots of ex S/S cars turned Pro back then .

Attached picture 5305420-untitled.1.jpg

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 06/21/09 11:54 AM

My understanding is the '68 cars ARE eligible. It's the early 70s A-bodies that some were unsure about . By then the Dusters & E-bodies were proven combos & some foresaw the smaller bodies coming so why build a Valiant/Scamp? I'm still hoping my altered sells so I can build a car for the class as I already have the driveline
Posted By: chryco

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 06/21/09 12:22 PM

I hope you`re right mine looks great for that class . It`s actually the "early pro stocks " that I modeled my build after .
Chryco

Attached picture 5305965-Picture51.jpg

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 06/21/09 11:38 PM

Looking at the rules (pg. 3 here), it looks like the cut-off for Category I is 1970, however the original rules accepted the '68 cars & there's more than enough proof of them running in P/S, so like the 71-72 Valiants I'm sure they'll be accepted. Btw I was just looking at an old book on P/S & it mentions the first Mopar Missile ran a clutchflite which should stir up more debate as to what trans are legal for the class.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 06/22/09 12:14 AM

Clutchflites were discussed IIRC.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 09/21/09 08:59 PM

I've had a busy summer, but the Nostalgia Pro Stocks are still a go. The program will debut at the Goodguys Rod and Custom Association Nostalgia Nationals, October 16-18, at Beech Bend Park in Bowling Green, Kentucky. On October 30th it will be a Friday only program at zMax Raceway for the Goodguys Southeastern Nationals in Charlotte, NC. Saturday the 31st, the cars will be in a static display inside the Lowes Motor Speedway. Entrants will receive free car and driver entry, free entry for 2 crew members, a $100 appearance fee, as well as color vehicle coverage in the Goodguys magazine and at www.good-guys.com. Bronze miniature Hemi trophies will be awarded as well. Authentic display-only vehicles will receive free entry and coverage. HemiFred has committed to zMax, as has the original Jenkins match race Monza. I've also spoken to several others of you who have expressed an interest in attending. Now is the time to commit! PM me if you're coming. Thanks!

Attached picture 5496686-GG_RedLogo.jpg

Post deleted by Defbob - 09/21/09 10:02 PM

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 09/22/09 01:30 PM

OK, here's the final rules. We've opened it up so that Nostalgia Hemi SS/AA cars can compete without changing their grille and tail panel. Keep in mind, these rules are mainly a reminder of NHRA safety requirements. The other guidelines are to prevent this from becoming a class of bracket bombers (no offense to grass roots bracket racers ).

Nostalgia Pro Stock

1. Classes:
Open to vehicles formerly used in Pro Stock competition. Vehicles need not be authentic former Pro Stock cars. Clone cars acceptable. Tribute (period correct) cars acceptable. The following vehicles are eligible to compete:
Class I: 1968-70 AMC AMX, 1968-70 AMC Javelin, 1971-77 AMC Hornet, 1968-73 Chevrolet Camaro, 1968-74 Chevrolet Nova, 1968-72 Dodge Dart, 1970-74 Dodge Challenger, 1971-72 Dodge Demon, 1973-76 Dodge Dart Sport, 1970-77 Ford Maverick, 1968-70 Mercury Cougar, 1971-77 Mercury Comet, 1969-73 Ford Mustang, 1968-74 Plymouth Barracuda, 1970-76 Plymouth Duster, 1968-73 Pontiac Firebird.
Class II: 1970-78 AMC Gremlin, 1971-77 Chevrolet Vega, 1974-81 Chevrolet Camaro, 1975-80 Monza, 1971-78 Dodge Colt, 1976-80 Dodge Aspen, 1978-83 Dodge Challenger, 1978-83 Dodge Omni 024/Charger, 1971-79 Ford Pinto, 1974-81 Ford Mustang II, 1971-73 Plymouth Cricket, 1976-80 Plymouth Volare, 1976-80 Plymouth Arrow, 1978-83 Plymouth Horizon TC3/Turismo, 1974-81 Pontiac Firebird.
All vehicles must dial at an established class index during eliminations: (8.00, 8.50, 9.00, 9.50, 10.00). Contestants will qualify based on running closest to their index without running quicker, during time trials. Vehicles may not run quicker than their index during eliminations. Cars will be laddered beginning with the first round of eliminations.

2. Ballast:
Weight must be installed in acceptable weight box, installed in trunk and attached to the frame or cross member. No liquid or loose ballast permitted.

e. Frame: Class I: Back-halved cars only. Must use stock frame for car body used. Properly reinforced stepped frames permitted. Cross members may only be altered or relocated for engine or transmission clearance. Additional members may be added for roll cage installation. Class II: Back halved or tube chassis cars. Any properly reinforced frame permitted. Additional members may be added for roll cage installation.
f. Grille: Must be full production for make, model and year claimed. Covering in front of grille prohibited. Vehicle must retain stock head lamps, tail lamps and turn signals. Lights need not be operational.
h. Interior: Upholstered aftermarket front bucket type seats permitted (two required). Rear seat may be removed. Aftermarket replacement dashboard with aftermarket gauges allowed.
i. Paint: All cars must be painted in a style that reflects the era and paint colors available at the time. No primered vehicles. Decals and lettering must appear to be vintage. Contingency decals must represent products that are era correct.
j. Spoilers: OEM spoilers allowed. All rear spoilers other than those originally factory installed must not be more than four inches high and must be mounted behind the rear axle. Any rear spoiler must be integrated into the overall body design and be painted to match. No air dams.
k. Windows: Windshield and windows must be of safety glass, Lexan, Plexiglass, or other shatter-proof material. Windows not required to be operative.
l. Wheel Tubs: Wheel tubs of any size are allowed if legal wheels and tires are positioned in stock location relative to exterior body lines.

4. Brakes:

5. Chassis:

6. Drivetrain:
a. Any transmission with a maximum of four forward speeds and reverse allowed. Trans brake permitted with automatic transmission. Clutchless units accepted. Must remain in conventional location determined by engine used.

7. Electrical:

8. Electronics:
a. The following electronics are not permitted; timed ignition interruption devices (stutter boxes), delay boxes, air and mechanical throttle stops, air shifters, dual line locks.
b. Computers and Data Recorders are allowed as long as they do not activate any function of the vehicle. Playback tachometers are allowed. No front wheel, hub or drive shaft pickups.
c. Electronic ignition components are permitted. Rpm limiters may be used for burnout and high side only, not as a launch device. 2 Step Module Selectors permitted with manual transmission only.

9. Engine:
d. Intake Manifold: Cast in-line dual four intake manifold required.
f. No power adders permitted.

10. Exhaust:
Open headers allowed.

11. Fuel:

12. Ignition:
Any aftermarket ignition systems, wiring and electronic conversion kits are allowed. See “Electronics” for additional restrictions.

13. Radiator:

14. Safety:

15. Steering:

16. Suspension:
Aftermarket front suspension permitted. Front suspension limiters permitted. Sway bar optional. Solid bushings in rear suspension allowed. Leaf springs may be moved inboard for tire clearance. Ladder bars or four-link rear suspensions allowed. Wheelie bars allowed.

17. Tires:

18. Weight:
Class I: Minimum weight 2400 pounds. Vehicle with 366 cubic inch engine or less may weigh 2100 pounds.
Class II: Minimum weight 2100 pounds.

19. Wheelbase:
Era-accepted modifications permitted.

20. Wheels:
Minimum 3.5 inches width required on the front. Any rear width is allowed as long as it fits under the stock wheel well opening.

21. Rule Discrepancy: In the event of a rule discrepancy or if a subject is not covered herein, defer to the current NHRA rule book based on vehicle Elapsed Time.

22. Technical Inspection: The guidelines set within, and the safety rules set forth by NHRA are intended solely as the minimum acceptable standards. Safety is the responsibility of the participant. Prior to competition, all vehicles and drivers must pass the host facility’s tech inspection. NHRA safety regulations supersede any and all other regulations. The final interpretation of any and all rules concerning safety is solely at the discretion of the host facility’s Tech Director. NNPSA makes no representations, warranties, or assurances that a technical inspection will: detect every problem with a vehicle or a driver’s personal equipment or clothing; detect every problem with rules compliance, or prevent injury, death or property damage. Non-safety related guidelines are set to ensure that vehicles represent the spirit of the class, not as a means of disqualification. All materials copyright 2009 Jeff Johnson and the National Nostalgic Pro Stock Association.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 09/22/09 05:09 PM

Jeff,

I have a couple questions about this. I sold my Dart, but am not out yet, still have my '82 Horizon. Are two front seats required in Class II also?

About the electronics, I have no problem with taking my delay box out, but a question about my three step. Can I just remove the launch rpm chip and leave the other two alone, or must it be a two step only?

Thanks,
Steve.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 09/22/09 08:30 PM

Steve, we're not going to give people a hard time on the rules (at least not at first). The purpose is to have fun and put on a show that folks don't see everyday. Add the seat when you get the time and $. The 3-step will probably be ok, but if anyone catches you using it, you're out. Let's follow the spirit of the rules, slap on some vintage decals and enjoy ourselves.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 09/22/09 08:56 PM

I have no intentions on using the 3 step, I really don't even need the high side, just the burnout. I just didn't want to have to cut a bunch of wires and so on.

The car will be lettered by next year. I will not be able to make the two events this year, just hoping to have something going by next year.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 09/23/09 12:27 AM

Fred the only one coming ?????

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 09/23/09 01:22 PM

Check out the Press Release on Comp Plus! I've gotten over 40 responses in the last day! http://www.competitionplus.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11832&Itemid=6

Attached picture 5500422-95ProStock2.jpg
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 09/23/09 11:14 PM

Quote:

Clutchflites were discussed IIRC.

as well as on board computers for tuning purposes.

my not have a car ready..but iam gonnna try to high tail it out there for spectator purposes..
anyone want to carpool out of Atlanta let me know.
cheapst

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 09/28/09 02:23 PM

Inquiries I've received fall into one of the four following categories:
A. I have an eligible car, ready to race or show, and plan on attending either Bowling Green or Charlotte.
B. I have a car which I will modify with the intention of being ready to race in 2010.
C. I intend to build a car for future competition.
D. I’m a fan and would love to see more of these cars.
If you wish to be a part of this program please PM me with your Postal mailing address, email address, photo of your car, or plans for a future vehicle.
http://www.good-guys.com/news/newsStory.aspx?newsid=1379

Post deleted by Defbob - 10/06/09 01:29 AM

Posted By: toddd

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 10/06/09 02:01 AM

I hope someone takes video of this class.

How far west are they planning take this ???.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 10/06/09 01:03 PM

For now it's Ohio, Indy, Bowling Green, Charlotte and Chicago. We may go to Washington state and SoCal in 2011.

BTW for those of you who asked, E85 is permitted.

If anyone is interested in Bowling Green, you have to pre-register with me asap if you want to get paid and get free entry. I've got Chevies coming but, so far, no Mopars.

Attached picture 5528112-5356418-OldNTRPICS038.jpg

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 10/06/09 03:31 PM

Quote:

last week I made a check out pass at Atco and the car is ready for road trips.
First one is Oct 16,17 for the East Coast Drag Times Hall of Fame event In Hendersen NC. then to Zmax Oct 30

Too bad I dosen't look like we're going to have a place to run on Thursday night @ Henderson

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 10/14/09 12:46 PM

Well the motor home is loaded and I'm getting ready to head to Beech Bend. I'll post a report next week.

Attached picture 5544342-JJmonza1977.jpg

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 10/14/09 05:02 PM

It looks like the Class 2 cars have quite an advantage in lower weight and still can run a big engine. It looks like the Class 1 cars have to run smaller than 366 CID to run at 2100#, but the Class 2 cars run at 2100# with no restriction on engine size. Maybe I'm not reading it right, or something is missing from the rules.
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 10/15/09 01:21 AM

Going to have to call JC Childress about this one. He has been looking for a reason to get this going again..

This is Kowalsky Racing Engines employee JC Childress' NHRA Super Stock Plymouth Duster ( 360 Mopar power ) Going to have to "Hemify it"

Attached picture 5545748-JCs_car.jpg

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 10/20/09 01:10 PM

Quote:

It looks like the Class 2 cars have quite an advantage in lower weight and still can run a big engine. It looks like the Class 1 cars have to run smaller than 366 CID to run at 2100#, but the Class 2 cars run at 2100# with no restriction on engine size. Maybe I'm not reading it right, or something is missing from the rules.

Maybe it doesn't matter. The cars are run on an index of the driver's choosing. Where's the advantage? The Class 2 rules are based on NHRA Outlaw Pro Stocks of the mid seventies. The Class 1 cars were never run in an "outlaw" configuration, because they were already "outlaw" Super Stocks.

Attached picture 5556185-GATORNATSSOX.jpg

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 10/20/09 03:52 PM

Yep, I don't see how anyone can have an advantage index racing.

Nice shot of the Stepp Arrow. I know the current owner has been collecting pieces to redo the car.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 10/20/09 04:01 PM

OK, what happened to the great unvailing at Bowling Green? I never even heard a class call for Nostalgia Pro Stock. Did the mist on Thursday and Friday scare them away? The altered ran it's best times this year last weekend, also ran it's quickest 60 ft. times. With the Nostalgia Funny Cars in the 5's, you can't say the track wasn't there!

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 10/23/09 02:32 PM

Well the weather really blew at Bowling Green. Drizzle all day Thursday and Friday, the temp never got much above 50 degrees. Sat am it was 38 degrees. Got all of the racing in and Sunny was beautiful. No P/S cars though, but plenty of drivers and owners stopped by to chat. Everyone is excited about next year. Congrats to HemiFred and Tom Bryant for getting the ball rolling at zMax next week!

Attached picture 5562039-PaulGjeffjohnson.jpg

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 10/27/09 01:30 PM

zMax is this Friday. Anyone besides Fred going? Free entry and $100.00 tow money for Nostalgia Pro Stock...

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! ***FYI*** - 10/28/09 12:32 PM

*** Any one planning on attending who's traveling to NC from the west beware I-40 is closed between mile marker 2 and 8 for a massive rock slide over the weekend. The detour takes you about an hour north to Johnson City TN then back down. Heres a DOT link for the detour.
http://www.ncdot.org/traffictravel/TIMS_Incidents/I-40_Slides_Map_2009.pdf

Good Luck to all who are attending
Posted By: moparjimbo60

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 10/28/09 01:20 PM

Quote:

OK, what happened to the great unvailing at Bowling Green? I never even heard a class call for Nostalgia Pro Stock. Did the mist on Thursday and Friday scare them away? The altered ran it's best times this year last weekend, also ran it's quickest 60 ft. times. With the Nostalgia Funny Cars in the 5's, you can't say the track wasn't there!

i agree drove from Ga just to see pro stock was very disappointed that they were a no show, but really had a good time the altereds and funnycars were awesome guess i will wait for next year and try it again.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 10/28/09 04:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe it doesn't matter. The cars are run on an index of the driver's choosing. Where's the advantage? The Class 2 rules are based on NHRA Outlaw Pro Stocks of the mid seventies. The Class 1 cars were never run in an "outlaw" configuration, because they were already "outlaw" Super Stocks.

I missed the index "bracket" racing part. I thought they would be heads-up racing. Somewhat disappointed with that approach.

Post deleted by Defbob - 10/28/09 05:10 PM

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 10/29/09 12:37 AM

there's no other way to keep it from becoming a big money class. it all for fun right now

This from a guy that's having a 604 Hemi being built. Fred, that would work to your advantage. I think the spectators would like to see some heads-up racing.

The best racing is all heads-up that I can see - Hemi Shootouts, Pro Mod, T/S, etc. Not cheap classes at all though. There is always someone with too much money, like 700 CID Super Gas cars with Pro Stock chassis, etc. If I can't win in this class, I'll drop down until I can kick everyone's butt.
Posted By: JC Childress

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 10/29/09 01:52 AM

I would love to make my car like the one Herb Sr drove for Sox & Martin to victory at the 1970 US Nationals. It has a full moly cage that will cert to 8.50, dana 60 with 40 spline gun drilled Mark Williams axles. All the work was done by Wisecarver race cars. Its first class. I built the car for IHRA Top Stock and just havent finished it. It could easily be made to run like a 1970 Pro Stock Duster. I could paint it that way, add a six pack hood like there's had,and add Keystones . I just cant afford the Hemi. Anyone wanna be a partner ?

Call me at (434) 665 9541

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 03/20/11 07:32 PM

Been almost two years since the last post. How is the association progressing?
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 03/20/11 10:28 PM

I haven't heard anything about Jeff's race but I seems like there is a bunch of the old guys that were involved with the CCs and other events starting some new Mopar events.
Posted By: RBDuster

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 03/20/11 10:58 PM

http://www.jeffjohnsonmotorsports.com/drag_racing.php

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 03/21/11 06:20 PM

We've been sending out monthly email updates to NNPSA members. If you have an eligible car, running or not, you can join the association for free. Visit www.nostalgiaprostock.com. We have over 50 members, with 16 cars in the midwest, on the ground and ready to race!

Attached picture 6541708-CCad3sm.jpg

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 03/21/11 07:52 PM

We'll definitely be there !

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 06/08/11 03:15 PM

This picture isn't from the seventies. It's from last week at Union Grove, WI! I know, they're Chevs, but we also have a bunch of Mopars now too. 16 cars will be at Marion County International Raceway (Ohio) next month!

Attached picture 6672580-UnionGroveMay20110001[1]small.jpg

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 06/08/11 05:24 PM

Any of them going to be at Cordova, IL this weekend for the Nitro Fest and Jet Warz? I know with the Goodguys quitting the drag racing program, a lot of things just fell apart in the midwest.
Posted By: cudaboy

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 06/09/11 12:46 AM

Interesting thread, I don't know how I missed it from two years ago, but I just read it all today.

One question: Whose posts are from Anonymous? I have an idea, but not sure.

Dennis
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 06/09/11 02:08 AM

Quote:

Interesting thread, I don't know how I missed it from two years ago, but I just read it all today.

One question: Whose posts are from Anonymous? I have an idea, but not sure.

Dennis

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 06/16/11 03:32 PM

We debuted Bill Jenkins '81 Camaro at the NHRA Route 66 Nationals last weekend!

We'll be racing 4 cars at the Goodguys Nationals at National Trail, July 8.
16 cars at the Chrysler Challenge, Marion County, July 22-23.
4 cars at the Lucas Oil Series, National Trail, July 24.
8 cars at the Funny Car Nationals, Marion County, August 6.
8 cars at the Time Machine Nationals, Union Grove, September 2-3.

Watch for the debut of Butch Leal's '72 Colt at these events! Of course, the Pain Killer, the Macomb Missle, and the Marfizo & Furmanchik Duster will be on hand also!

www.nostalgiaprostock.com

Attached picture 6685491-securedownload3.jpg

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 06/17/11 10:29 PM

Also, check out Bob Mayerle's Rod Shop Colt tribute, courtesy of John and Ben Holt. Bob is the owner of Pro Glass windows in the Chi-town area. He's rumored to be testing at The 'Grove this weekend!

Attached picture 6687453-72IMG_5543.jpg

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 06/21/11 03:01 PM

Any more Mopars under construction? Any more Mopars that are ready? Who's coming to Marion County, July 22-23? To race or to watch?

Attached picture 6693196-NNPSAshield2.jpg
Posted By: 360904

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 06/21/11 05:37 PM

I'll be there

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 06/28/11 03:34 PM

The Colt lives! 8.32 at 165 mph!

Attached picture 6703815-pts6-26-11sun094.jpg
Posted By: RoadRnnr69

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 06/28/11 03:54 PM

Quote:

This picture isn't from the seventies. It's from last week at Union Grove, WI! I know, they're Chevs, but we also have a bunch of Mopars now too. 16 cars will be at Marion County International Raceway (Ohio) next month!

Looks like my buddy Bill Neri's Camaro in the foreground, that thing is bad azz!! Bill was big in Pro Mod a few years back with the Executioner '66 Nova.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 07/11/11 10:31 PM

Marion County International Raceway, 2303 Richwood Larue rd, Larue, OH 43332.

Friday and Saturday July 22-23.

Moore & Moore 68 Barracuda vs. Bill Jenkins 68 Camaro.
Butch Leal 72 Colt vs Pain Killer 71 Duster.
Don Carlton 74 Colt vs. Warren Johnson 74 Camaro.
Bill Jenkins 75 Monza vs. Marfizo 73 Duster.
Wally Booth 79 Concord vs Don Carlton 77 Aspen.
Lee Shepherd 81 Camaro vs Bill Jenkins 81 Camaro.

Plus...Four others to be announced!

Attached picture 6724506-CCad3sm.jpg
Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 07/11/11 11:42 PM

If you guys make it out to the West coast I would change my combo to run on gas as long as a 1972 Duster can have a full tube chassis. The Class 1 or Class 2 should be Class 2 full chassis and Class 1 back-halfed only.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 07/13/11 05:23 PM

HQ Hotel:
Comfort Inn
16420 Allenby Dr
Marysville, OH 43040
937-644-0400
Mention The Chrysler Challenge.
$79.00 per night

Attached picture 6727649-Web1976.jpg

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/04/12 01:39 PM

Here's the 2012 Nostalgia Pro Stock Schedule. Check it out at Milan next week. We'll have the Pain Killer Duster, Butch Leal's Colt, WJs Camaro, Al Gary's Vega, Don Carlton's Aspen, Tom Strayer's Vega,and Shadowwood's Arrow.

May 19, 2012 Milan Dragway, Milan, MI.
May 26, 2012 Skyview Drags, Tioga Center, NY.
May 26-27, 2012 Great Lakes Dragaway, Union Grove, WI
July 6, 2012 National Trail Raceway, Columbus, OH
July 28-29, 2012 Marion County International Raceway, Larue, OH
August 25-26, 2012 Tri-State Dragway, Hamilton, OH
September 1-2, 2012 Great Lakes Dragaway, Union Grove, WI
September 29, 2012 Milan Dragway, Milan, MI.
October 20-21, 2012 Brown County Dragway, Nashville, IN

Attached picture 7191944-NostalgiaProStock1977.jpg
Posted By: Hurst390

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/05/12 08:40 PM

My Pro Stock engine is about done and will try and make the brown county race . That is where my Gremlin used to run at!
Posted By: racer_amx

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/06/12 01:42 PM

Quote:

My Pro Stock engine is about done and will try and make the brown county race . That is where my Gremlin used to run at!

You should post pics of your gremlin sometime.
Posted By: Hurst390

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/06/12 04:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You should post pics of your gremlin sometime.

Thanks for asking..Here is a brief history of the car..It was Gunderman speed shops car out of Indy.They never did complete it with an engine. Huston Wesley bought and raced it with an AMC engine at Brown County and he then sold it to a buddy of mine which in turn sold it to me in the mid 90's. I raced it for a year and it ended up being a casualty of the new Gateway back when it was eating many cars up on it's new slick surface...That and the fact I could not fit and drive the car comfortably it ended up on it's roof...I rebuilt it in the late 90's(so I can fit) with the current AMC Pro Stock paint scheme and never did put an engine in it as I started running street car events in my Green Spirit.
Now I have Barry Allen finishing up a Pro Stock engine for it very soon..Wally Booth top end with Pro Stock trapazoid heads and 2x4 intake Barry bought back when Wally got out of the AMC biz...Barry is loaning me his dominators and he says it should make 850hp! I will have to share the jerico 4 speed out of the Green car until I get a clutchless Jerico for the Gremlin..I have to make headers still and install wiring and buy tires but for the most part the car has been sitting ready for over 10 years!..lol
The only time it's been out since rebuilding it i took it to kenosha for the 100 year anniv. of Rambler and met wally Booth. He came down and checked it out and signed the dash..I thought that was nice of him...
I do have to buy an old scoop for another hood I have to make it period correct...I might just make it because I think Wally made his for his Gremlin..
before and now pics..

Posted By: robnbird

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/06/12 05:47 PM

Quote:

For now it's Ohio, Indy, Bowling Green, Charlotte and Chicago. We may go to Washington state and SoCal in 2011.

BTW for those of you who asked, E85 is permitted.

If anyone is interested in Bowling Green, you have to pre-register with me asap if you want to get paid and get free entry. I've got Chevies coming but, so far, no Mopars.

what about a 71 hemi challenge with 4 link back half 727 W/Brake, if so count me in.
Posted By: robnbird

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/07/12 02:04 AM

Im working on it

Attached picture 7195145-hemibuild.jpg
Posted By: jimmyg

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/09/12 12:04 AM

Pretty cool!

Attached picture 7197676-576517_3057543201918_1363524361_2223026_1458769071_n[1].jpg

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/21/12 04:37 PM

Quote:

Pretty cool!

Did anyone wonder where all the Mopars were last weekend? They were at Milan! Here's Lonnie Smith going for the fastest ride of his life in Mike Rickett's Pro Stock Hemi!

Attached picture 7215014-Detroitdragway-15-19-12166_edited-1.jpg
Posted By: produster

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/21/12 10:03 PM

Enough said....
Posted By: WayneM

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/22/12 02:15 PM

I see on the schedule this weekend there will be an event at Skyview drag way in ny. I'd really like to come out and see you guys. Can we have a roll call? On the track website, it's billed as a old drag event. No mention of this group. I'm trying to fold this event into a Hershey visit.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/22/12 05:05 PM

Skyview is this Saturday. It will pit Bill Jenkins' Grumpy's Toy XII Monza vs. Bill Jenkins' Grumpy's Toy XIV Monza. Mopars on the way too.

Attached picture 7216705-NostalgiaProStock1975(3).jpg
Posted By: GRAYBO

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/24/12 03:12 AM

I have a 1980 Plymouth "Don Hardy" pro stock Volare. It has a modern aero hood scoop, runs on alcohol fuel, has a delay box with 2 step and electric shifter. All these things listed will keep me from being allowed to race in the nostalgia class..Right??? I'm not sure of the rules or where to find them. Thanks in advance.

Attached picture 7219013-1126-04092.JPG
Posted By: plasticfantastic

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/24/12 04:52 AM

Quote:

I have a 1980 Plymouth "Don Hardy" pro stock Volare. It has a modern aero hood scoop, runs on alcohol fuel, has a delay box with 2 step and electric shifter. All these things listed will keep me from being allowed to race in the nostalgia class..Right??? I'm not sure of the rules or where to find them. Thanks in advance.

Info sent... http://jeffjohnsonmotorsports.com/drag_racing.php
Posted By: GRAYBO

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 05/24/12 05:10 AM

Thanks for the link. If I want to run this old girl..I best get rid of the modern bracket electronics... Very good. Thanks for the info. Looks like a great race.

Attached picture 7219216-pitt34.jpg

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 07/26/12 03:29 PM

We're running all-Mopar Nostalgia Pro Stock this weekend, July 27-29, at the MCIR Chrysler Power Classic!

Marion County International Raceway, 2303 Richwood LaRue Rd. (Rt 37), LaRue, OH 43332.

Check out Chrysler Power Classic on Facebook!

Attached picture 7308531-36630_1.jpg

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 03/27/13 03:00 PM

Don't miss the Nostalgia Pro Stock season opener! Saturday, April 6, Sikeston Dragway, Sikeston, MO! Join our Facebook group "Nostalgia Pro Stock Association" for weekly updates.
https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/122637731229951/?bookmark_t=group

Attached picture 7642861-pts6-26-11sun094.jpg
Posted By: mokid

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 03/27/13 06:47 PM

What ever happen to Bob Gliddens Pro Stock Arrow that just ruled in the day.

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 04/01/13 04:53 PM

Quote:

What ever happen to Bob Gliddens Pro Stock Arrow that just ruled in the day.

It's still around. A clone of it is being built and should be racing later this year!

Attached picture 7649996-7232140-6298913-1.jpg

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 04/01/13 09:08 PM

Looks like the Nostalgia Pro Stock class is starting to really pick up some steam. Thanks for keeping this class alive Jeff !

Posted By: Labratt

Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock Association is here! - 04/10/13 08:37 PM

VERY fond memories of watching Landy..S&M..Jenkins..Booth&Aaron's..Glidden&Allen..Dyno Don Nicholson, and other Pro Stockers @ Detroit Dragway back in the day!!!.....I''ll have to tag along with Mr. Ricketts a few times this season! BTW...the Macomb Missile Aspen is even nicer in person! Mike did a GREAT job restoring it!!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums