Originally Posted by B1MAXX
Put it at 106, check the clearance, then measure/figure in the deflection. twocents

That’s what I do on the ones where the measured clearance when using checking springs is close/marginal.

Since the spring pressure hasn’t gotten real high with the lifts you see when the V/P clearance is closest, there usually isn’t all the much deflection at that point.
I checked some HS “1.6’s”, and they were 1.67 with a checking spring......and still 1.63 with 700lbs open load at .700-ish lift.

I’d say, if everything was as it should be, and you come up with “zero” V/P intake clearance with a checking spring, and you already have the exhaust clearance near the min....... you’re not going to be able to get to what most would consider “adequate” intake clearance(for me that’s about .050” min) by changing the RR by .1, and moving the cam 2*.
Plus, whatever you gain on the intake side by moving the cam...... you’ll lose a similar amount on the exhaust.

Off the top of my head I’d say moving the cam 2* will give you about .016”, and dropping the RR by .1 you’d get another .020” or so.
You’d go from zero with the checking spring to .036”. You’d need another .015” deflection at that lift point to get it to .050”(and then there’s the question of if you’re comfortable with .050 on the intake, and whatever you lost on the exhaust by moving the cam).

68 Satellite, 383 with stock 906’s, 3550lbs, 11.18@123
Dealer for Comp Cams/Indy Heads