Originally Posted By BSB67
Originally Posted By davenc
Originally Posted By ZIPPY
collecting info.

Biggest detail is 1 and 3/16 stick out.
I'd like to create a little bit more space between the oil and the rods sticking out. With this pan and a 6qt fill, the oil seems a little too close to the rods for a windage tray/screen to even have much effect.

Zippy,

I had commented on someone else's build that from their pics the windage tray itself was going to be sitting at the oil level....then some other poster pointed out that the oil will not be at that level while the motor is running. I understand deep pans help, but it is worth considering that you may have more separation than you are thinking.

Dave

FWIW, I like to consider that too (i.e. the level will be lower when the motor is running), and that it is not sitting level either. I figure that if the oil is at the crank at the back of the motor when stationary and not running, and if the tray is up close to the crank, it'll all be good. No proof though.

I will say that with full time unrestricted oiling to the valve gear, loose bearing clearances and 0W-30W oil, I've never had a problem with oil pressure up to 6800 rpm.

Yes to all, agree with the thought process and was headed down that road. It's pretty well known folks have overfilled for many years with no adverse effects. I do like to know where I'm starting from.

Since I probably won't engine dyno it, the logical thing to do is put a sight tube on it and put a camera under the car on chassis dyno to really know where the oil level is.

I admit the hardest thing for me to consider is the vehicle moving/dynamic environment. It's easier to imagine it sitting static.

Will play around with a few ideas and figure something out, I have an idea which combination(s) to look at next.

Thanks for the encouraging comments!

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri