So I did some more testing tonight and I found out that this missfire that occurs around 2000-2500 rpm is not just limited to one cylinder.
It’s happening on all 8 cylinders.
I hooked the timing light up to every cylinder and brought the rpms up to 2500 rpm and I could see the break in the light on every cylinder at 2500 rpm.
I checked the timing at 2500 rpm with vacuum advance and it’s at 43 degrees at 2500 with vacuum advance.
Without vacuum advance it’s at 33 degrees at 2500 rpm.
So based on what I found tonight my current thought is the crane ignition box has something wrong with it internally.
I talked to a tech tonight about this issue and he agreed that since the miss is showing up on all 8 cylinders it sounds like the ignition box or the pick up coil in the distributor.
I explained to him that this issue was present with my previous distributor and that o bought a brand new firecore distributor and the issue is still there.
He said based on the fact that you have replaced everything else in the ignition system it sounds like the box.
Cause I told him the coil is brand new and that made no difference, the plug wires are brand new that didn’t make a difference, plugs are brand new.
And cap and rotor are also brand new a lot with distributor.
Vacuum stays steady at 20hg while idling, when I hold throttle at 2500 the vacuum gauge kind of oscillates a little bit but not by much maybe 1/2 an hg.
I’m not seeing anything on the vacuum gauge to indicate major problems and compression test revealed 155psi on all 8 cylinders while warm.
He asked if I have noticed anything strange with the crane box now or ever since I got it and I told him how it’s always made a pretty loud buzzing sound.
He said Heaney heard some boxes that are quiet and some that buzz so he doesn’t know if that is something to consider or not.
Since there is no way of testing a cd ignition box that I am aware of I was thinking about pulling the box out and taking it apart and seeing if I can see anything un-usual with the wiring and transistors.
Any burned wires or burned area’s.