so I was thinking today and I remembered awhile back a few months ago I was sitting in neutral and held the throttle at 2500 rpm where the missing starts and I remember my crane ignition box was getting pretty warm to the touch.
And the red light on the box was flickering rapidly at 2500 rpm.
I also know that I have gone through an un-usual amount of pick up coils with this crane ignition box.
Before I purchased this firecore distributor I was running a Mopar unit that was customized and set up by Don at fbo systems.
I went through 2 or 3 pick up coils on the distributor from don.
They would last like 6-9 months and then all a sudden they would just die.
Then another time a couple years ago I had a Premium borg Warner distributor cap on my distributor from don and the coil button on the inside of the distributor cap melted away completely.
That crane box is the only thing I haven’t tried replacing.
It just never occurred to me that it could be causing this issue but now I’m kind of wondering if I got a bad box.
I bought it from a whole saler on eBay and they said it was brand new and it was still packaged Ike it was brand new when I got it, and I got a really good price on it.
Is there any tests I can do to determine if the box is the cause of this missfire?
I don’t have the factory ignition module and wiring anymore otherwise I’d just wire that back up and see what it did.
I’ve triple checked the polarity of the pick up coil wiring I know that’s correct.
I’ve ohmed the new plug wires they all check out at 50 ohms per foot.
I’ve ohmed the coil out it checks out.
Pick up coil checks out on the ohm test.
That basically leaves that crane ignition box.
I’m going to try the timing light on the other cylinders while bringing up the rpm to see if the miss fire shows up on other cylinders or if it’s just strictly cylinder 8.
I got off work an hour and a half late and it’s already too late to be outside reving the engine and testing the other cylinders with the light.
That might have to wait till this weekend.
But if I can get off work at a decent time before the weekend I’m going to try it out and see what happens.
The only thing that’s throwing me off is how number 8s plug always looks like it’s struggling to fire compared to the others, of it was the ignition box you’d think it wouldn’t be affecting just one cylinder.
But we’ll find out when I get the light on the other 7 cylinders and bring the rpm up to where it starts missing