Originally Posted By Neil
Motor mounts - I'd replace them if they look bad, but other than that I'd just get them lined back up. I have a set of small block mounts and they have a little bump on the mount that rides in a hole drilled into the motor mount brackets to keep everything pointed in the right direction. You may have the same thing as I do only yours got tightened down with the nubs out of the holes which is how yours went sideways.

Your car has a manual transmission so you'll want a torque strap or something to help secure the drive's side as that's where the action is. You can buy one, make, one, or overhaul your rubber driver's side mount and convert it to a solid mount with some steel and welding.

I would get the mounts straightened out one side at a time and work with shims and see what happens there first before messing with denting the header right away. If you do have to dimple the header tube you'll want to dust some silver header paint over the spot to keep it from rusting. In my mind having a header tube just barely touching the steering box is not the source of your drone sound. I think that is coming from the mufflers on back and is magnified by having an empty trunk compartment.

If you want to switch to side exit exhaust then look at the Dr Gas NASCAR style mufflers/exhaust tips. I think they would be fairly loud compared to rear exiting, but they may not drone. They are pricey, but offer the best look for that type of exhaust setup. Having a round pipe sticking out in front of the rear tire doesn't look very cool in my book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jucWtepx6PU

Alright, I can deal with that. So, as far as the mounts go, look for cracking in the rubber?

Thank you for the tips on repositioning the engine and possibly denting the headers.

I wasn't planning on doing a side exit exhaust in front of the rear tires. If moving the engine away from the PS box does not help, the plan was going to add resonators to the tailpipes. My problem is that I only have 11" between the exhaust hangers and the bumpers while the smallest resonators I could find are 14" long (10" long case). There are smaller "race" mufflers I can add that are 12" long (8" long case), but that's going to cost me a lot more per muffler than the resonators were. So, I was thinking about cutting the tailpipes off after the exhaust hanger, band clamping some 60 degree tubing, then adding (band clamps again) resonators so I'll have enough room to fit it all under the back of the car. The exhaust will still exit the rear at the bumper, but at a 60 degree angle pointing out. Or, I could do the same with 90 degree tubing and end at the back of the quarter panel. It may look a little funny though, but it will be different.