Originally Posted By parksr5
I'm very analytical and some of these posts tie into my situation. I have a running, driving cruiser that is nice but, I'd like to restore the car some day.

I always struggle with the thought of the car being down for years while the restoration is occurring. I often wonder if I'm willing to accept that. I’ve also thought about addressing certain areas of the car but, in some situations, it would be like putting lipstick on a pig or a waste of money given I’d have to undo things I’ve already done if I did ever fully restore it.

There is some heavier metal work that I'm not willing to tackle so; it will go somewhere to have at least some of the metal work done. Then I think about the inefficiency of having a shop doing a portion of the metal work, just to bring it home to finish the remaining items. It almost makes sense just to have a shop deliver me a rolling painted car for me to reassemble. Then I struggle with the fact that I’ll look at the car for years and not have the satisfaction of having done the body work myself; especially since I did it for a living for several years and can do it. Maybe the shop doing the work won’t do it to my liking either.

I just finished all the metal and body work for my Father in Law’s 55 Ford f100. I worked on it for the past 3 Winters. My car will need more than his truck so; how long would all of this take if I did it myself? Knowing me, I’ll work on my own stuff for longer hours as I just want things done; doing this may result in not having a father in law any longer too.

Money, locating parts and all the other things also come into play.

Man, I’m getting overwhelmed just thinking about it.

Seems to me you have enough data to make a decision! You've done similar projects so now you know how much time it takes and whether or not you can do it.