I'll add some more thoughts.

One thing I've learned over time is that a lot of this is personality dependent. Some people get stuck easier than other people. Like Clint said, a man has to know his limitations. If you are a really picky person who wants everything to be perfect then don't try to build a show winning car in a one car garage with no tools. Ain't going to happen.

If you are a super picky person then learn to hack your way thru problems. If you want to get the project done then get it done. If you want it to be perfect then buy all the tools and do it perfect. If you can't afford the tools and the time to make it perfect but won't work on it if it isn't perfect then go find a different hobby.

I'm the type of person who wants everything perfect but I learned a long time ago that I do not have the time or the money to get perfect results. I have more time and money than some people so I can get pretty good results, but I can't get perfect. So I do what I can with the tools I have and the time I have. I hack what I need to hack just to keep the ball rolling. Sometimes I come back later and fix it and sometimes I don't. I build enough cool stuff to keep myself motivated but I don't allow the perfect to become the enemy of good enough.

Having said all of that, I do try to push myself in a few areas on each project. The Duster project is a push for me in some areas. I'm fabbing up some stuff that in the past I would not have taken on. It isn't a hand built tube chassis car or anything like that but I'm trying to take on some stuff where previously I would've just used bolt on parts. Only note of caution I'd make is that you have to remember what Clint said. Don't take on more than a stretch goal. If you decide you are going to build your own billet block using a chunk of iron and a butter knife then you won't get there. You have to at least give yourself a fighting chance.