Originally Posted By moparmitch
The newer VVT engines are not as desirable as you have to deal with the cam phasing garb and related camshaft. In production form they seem to make good power for what they are, but they would not be a first choice for a traditional power build up to swap parts on to.

I need a motor for my ride and I'm stuck between a 440 based setup or possibly a G3 based platform. I've considered a 6.4 Apache motor, but to run a simple carb and MSD box, would require the goofy cam phaser "locking" (and still using stock timing set) along with a manifold swap. And then there's the MDS junk and the MDS lifters which would need to go. Along with that, then new valve springs and pushrods would be the right thing to do...this adds up quick, not to mention all the time involved. You would have to get a really good deal on a VVT motor to cover all the band-aid fixes to make it barely reasonable for a high performance N/A breather. Of course, this doesn't really matter for an EFI forced induction.

It seems as though the greatly demonstrated pre VVT block buildups are still the way to go for a G3 performance motor. Just look at Dustin's build to see the successful and well proven approach.

Notice the the engine masters stroker buildups all use non VVT based motors.

I also agree with the statement that a G3 vs BB build will cost similar for a 600-700HP build. I've run the numbers too and its about a wash with all things considered.

I'm still very intrigued by the G3 and would like to move to this platform...we'll see

my two cents...

VVT is soooo easy to delete, remove 4 screws on the phaser and stick something, almost anything, in the oil chamber to prevent it from moving and bolt it back together. With very little ingenuity you can even use it as an easy advance retard mechanisim instead of buying a very expensive adjustable timing set, just shim the cam forward and backward in the same oil chamber to set it where you want it.

If MDS bothers you gen a manual trans engine. If you find a screamin deal on a used one with MDS and you want to ditch it, well MDS is easy peasy also, just leave the solenoids in and don't plug em in and wa la, no MDS. You do not need to buy new lifters to delete MDS.

Neither one costs any money to eliminate.

Plus if you are planning to go the "don't touch the long block" method you get a slightly better rod (a little more meat where the 08 back would snap)and piston (lower ring friction due to thinner rings and the top ring is a little farther down) in the 09+ engines.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!