Quote:

Quote:

That's not me and I won't wear that shoe.

Here's my suggestion for new Hotchkis parts- make a correct wheel rate front sway bar for the 73+ A body K member. I doubt the market is large enough to warrant a full R&D on a 73-76 k member, but at the very least you can use the R&D from the early K member and get the wheel rate right on the 73-76 K.

Fair enough.

As to the 73-76 A bodies, what is the difference you are referring to? Just overall vehicle weight, or something I'm missing? I wasn't aware of any difference other than engine mounting style.

Hotchkis 67-72 A body front sway bar: 1.5" hollow
Hotchkis 73-76 A Body front sway bar: 1.25" hollow (with a lower motion ratio on top)

The root of the issue is the motion ratios for the front sway bar mounts on the LCA's between the 67-72 and 73-76 are different (73-76 is lower), and the 73-76 sway bar goes through the K member (limiting diameter and bends).

When Hotchkis first released the 73-76 A Body sway bars, they were listed as 1.5" hollow. I called and spoke with one of the Hotchkis guys, who confirmed it was a 1.5" bar and gave me the listed wheel rates. When it arrived at my house, it was a 1.25" bar. We're talking a significant difference in wheel rate, like 700 lb vs 385 lb wheel rate. When I called to discuss with Hotchkis, I explained the issue with the motion ratio. I was told it was 'good enough', and that's all that would fit through the k member anyway. I was also told that the R&D had been done on the 67-72 K member only. I asked about bending a one off bar in 1.5" diameter hollow or doing something to get a custom bar for the 73-76 at the same wheel rate as the 67-72 chassis, and the answer was a resounding no. Needless to say, I returned it, and called Hellwig to get a custom bar bent. That's why I praise Dave at Hellwig every chance I get for helping me.

Full disclosure: I had to grind on the k member in a couple places to get my current custom Hellwig front bar to go through. A splined bar would be the perfect 'fix' to get room for a larger front sway bar.

-'02 Dodge Viper Ex-World Challenge racecar
-'73 Duster, 6.1 based 392 hilborn hemi, tko600, full floater rear 9", Hellwig custom bars, viper brakes, built for road course