One of the problems with being a block "manufacturer" is that they are not really manufacturers. They depend on a foundry which might be far behind or might have a job that pays more per piece and puts them farther back in line. There aren't many places to get a good casting done any more. So all the places that DO make good castings are working overtime.
HPP blocks are cast at Buddy Bar in California, I bet the KB blocks come from the same place.
As I said, there aren't a lot of places that make good castings, at least in the US. It's hot, dirty dangerous work and there is bound to be trouble with the EPA and OSHA every once in a while. Most places have folded up their tent and gone home.

20 years ago I was specing a new Diesel engine for a large pump in the Mississippi valley. We opened the bids and were very pleased to see that it was a Cummins V12. Wow, a really good engine! Installed the beast and while we were firing it up and testing it, I noticed the little tag on the side of the block. "Made in Poona, India"I did some checking and it was the same foundry issue. A large pump manufacturer whose plant I visited told me that all their pump castings came from overseas because they couldn't get quality cast iron poured in the US.

So rag on Ken Black or World or Indy all you want. It won't make things any better for you or for them. The world we live in has changed and it's surprising to many of us, me included.

The idea that forged rods, pistons and crankshafts are growing on trees, while one can't get a decent block in which to install them, has me reeling.

R.