Quote:

The issue may be worn parts, but consider this - the O/D trans drops the engine RPM around 1000 more on the 1-2 shift than a Hemi box. That means the syncros/blockers have to slow the countershaft, input shaft, and now 2 clutch discs that much more to match the output shafts speed to make the 1-2 shift. I would think the extra load on the syncros and blocker rings would result in both a slower shift and more wear and tear on the parts.

Those things were a pain to shift fast even when they were new.

The only way we could get the one in my buddy's 76 R/T to shift was to adjust the clutch so it had barely any free play. This gave the clutch maximum disengagement so the synchro could do its thing. The trans didn't crash, it just flat would not go past neutral on a power shift and it would hang just shifting fast if you didn't smash the clutch right into the rug.

Are you running 90wt or ATF in it? I would try ATF if it doesn't already have it in there. Also don't use synthetic oil in it. Synchros need metal to metal contact to work and there is nothing better than synthetic oil to prevent this.

Kevin