Quote:

Quote:

I can't imagine ever going back to tuning without one...... The "look" of the plugs only tells you so much.......just like that number the O2 spits out only tells you so much....It shows lean and rich stumbles and you INSTANTLY know it's a lean OR rich stumble, instead of guessing and spending DAYS trying to dial it in....I just thought I had some of my cars dialed in, until I hooked my LM1 up!! lol

You can turn just ONE of the six idle mixuture screws on a Six Pack and SEE it on the O2 that's in just one pipe.........There's NO WAY reading plugs will tell you that.....

You can also see when your PV opens up........you can watch the motor get leaner as you tip in, then watch it get instantly rich......Plugs won't tell you that and the ass-dyno isn't that accurate........

If it's a race only car that has to only idle and go WOT, you don't really need it (but it can help)........but for anything street driven, IMHO, it's a must-have......

while i agree with everything your saying, it still does not makes things perfect

example, NASCAR says the reason they are going to FI is because the motor needs to be jetted much richer then it actually needs to be because G forces will make the whole left bank lean. what good would a LM1 plugged into the rght bank of a fast roundy round car do? melt and detonate the whole left bank

if I was to tune my engine on a chassis dyno, it would be completely different than my car going down the track. my front carbs are jettd 6 sizes larger than the rear. how many guys here would do that?

PPMracing that is building Mr Sixpack's new engine has said the same thing about what i'm saying.

the only real tool that would really work is having EGTs in each cylinder.

and BTW, and Dram can back this up because i called him immediately, I was so pissed when i put my LM1 on my car because it said i was spot on everywhere from tuning at the track and looking at plugs.

I agree too that it doesn't make it perfect.... neither does reading plugs when you're trying to tune the driveability of a motor.....

OK......I wasn't talking NASCAR ......I'm talking getting a car tuned to where it's as driveable as possible.......Have the NASCAR guys run an O2 in every header tube?? I'm assuming they have??? That would be MUCH better than EGT's IMHO........

I can take a car that's got a brand new combo and tune it to be very close to ideal just by knowing what numbers to shoot for from past experience with similar combos.......then I go to the track and jet the end carbs for max ET and trap speed.....

The real question is; How much ET and trap speed did you pick up by jetting your motor 6 numbers richer in the front versus where you'd jetted it with the O2? Point being that 98% of the guys I build motors for, that drive fairly regularly on the street, would never see that difference or feel it in the ass-dyno, since 99% of the time the car is moving it's seeing less than 1.2 G's .......but I have taken a LOT of cars and made them feel like they have fuel injection while driving around because of how smooth they transition......and that's what I use it for....

Something else that's great about O2's (and this is for you too, Quicktree ) Once you dial your car in......and you see what A/F your motor likes, when you go to really bad or really good air, you can shoot for that number to get you into the ballpark really quick.......same goes for nitrous.......when you hit the button, you can shoot for that same number where it was running it's best trap speeds naturally aspirated (or even leaner sometimes because of less fuel fallout since the motor revs faster)........it makes getting there a lot faster.......

Quote:

how have you applied this to bracket racing? I guess I am one of those guys that don't give a flip whats going on as long as the car repeats lap after lap. that's what wins races/money not having a perfect tune. I could care less about being politically correct. I give mine what it wants to make it run the number. but I would like to know what the LM1 says just from curiosity. bring your dang gizmo down and spend a day at the track

Like I mentioned, there really isn't going to be a huge gain for most drag race only cars if the guy has an idea how to tune......

I like my motors to run as cleanly as possible....most guys have no idea how rich or lean their motors are while running down the track......How many times have you heard a guy say their "motor was running great all year and all of a sudden it torched a head gasket" or whatever??.......

I know that most bracket racers don't tune their stuff (they bolt the carb on, set the idle mixture to where it idles it's best and run it).....they're just like most street rod guys........as long as their car fires up and makes it to the local cruise in/car show without leaving them stranded on the road, they're happy with how it runs.....

Like already mentioned.....I also use it as a safety/alert device ......It tells me instantly if the A/F is still where it needs to be or if something else is going on......

Something else about O2's......It's fairly common knowledge that as the motor goes up through the rpm range, you don't need as much fuel since there's less fuel fallout with that extra air speed, so you can watch the fuel curve and tune a curve into your motor with air bleeds that gets anywhere from .5 to 1 full point leaner as it goes up.....

If you can't handle the truth, you're living a lie.......