Quote:

What is everybodys thought on 650 hp in a street car that will see a few trips to the strip? I have a 73 cuda that Im looking at getting a 472 hemi for. I want a fast street car that can put down good times at the track also, but not something that won't be any fun without running slicks all the time to get it to hook. Car is a 4 speed and currently 3.23 sure-grip 8 3/4 but will upgrade gears later. I plan on running 275/50 drag radials and either super stock springs or caltracs. What are your guys thoughts?

I use to race a 1970 Hemi 4 speed Cuda(not and originial )Have you weighed your car front to rear bias yet? If not do so soon Mine had 2168 lbs on the front tires with out me in it at the track scales and 1280 lbs. on the rear (or so, I can't remember the exact numbers now, but these #s are close)I took that car home after that race and sold it I have had numerous NHRA leagl Mopar drag race cars and street and strip car since then,A and B bodys with wedges and SB.One of my current street and strip car is a 1971 Duster with a Dana 60 (I twisted the 8 3/4 housing up real bad before it broke the ladder bar brackets off of the housing, it wasn't back braced  ) and a 727 with several different pump gas BB combination motors in it, the car has ran a best of 10.34 at 128.6 MPH on pump gas, motor only, with the air cleaner and muffs on It puts a big grin on my face every time I drive it I had a lot of work done to the car while building it, I don't do chassis or paint and body work, to make it work like it does, I have broke a lot of parts with it also Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go  (and can you afford ) A 4 speed with a hemi and a 8 3/4 rear end with good hooking tires will not live together very long Trust me on that There is a old adage about 4 speed cars that get raced,it goes "You have to feed the beast, you can feed it tires, clutches, transmissions, U joints, drive shafts or what ever you want to find that fails, but you have to feed it" It is true I built my current Duster with a cut down 8 3/4 out of full size 1964 Dodge B body narrowed with later model axle ends, Strange Engr. 35 spline race axles and spool, Mark Williams steel caps and a 742 case, A set of 1/4 Max ladder bars and single adjustable coil over rear shocks with a diagonal link I use M/T ET Street abd M/T ET Street Radials on it I still broke several ring and pinions, a new forged pinion yoke, trans yoke and finally twisted the housing up bad enough to break the ladder bar brackets off Luckily the brackets broke off on the starting line instead of down the track further at a higher speed I'm assuming your trans is a later model 833 with the small 23 spline input shaft with later gear ratios, 2.47 1st gear instead of the 2.66 or 2.65 1 st gear ratio early trans., if it 9not a 18 spline Hemi trans) is you will break it eventually if you hook the car up constitentily I'm not trying to talk you out of doing what you want to do, I am trying to provide you some insight on some of what has happen to me pursuing the need for speed. Be safe and have fun Don't cry to hard when it breaks Because it will Enjoy

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)