I started gathering parts for my build -

The block is at the machine shop getting ready...
It's a late 70's X block that i've been hanging on to for several years.

After speaking with Rod Bloomer I decided to go with one of his BPE 4.125" cranks. I'm planning on updating this post when it gets to the machine shop as they can check for stroke, taper and out of round for me.

The crank I got with the X block was a BRC 3.75" stroke - with radius journals on the rods, but not on the mains, the BPE has full radius rod and main journals.

The old crank had more then 6 slugs in it along with some extra welds on the counterweight to balance it for rods and pistons I never got with the deal to I was always leary of the crank and what it would take to balance it correctly the next time.

After speaking with Rod and RyanJ they made the decision easy to go with the Compstar rods - 6.200 and the 2" journal makes them nice and light - they come in at 595 grams on my scale. A K-1 in the same size weighs around 627 grams!

I got the pistons from Rod on Saturday. BPE's stocking these now with a -17cc dish that will give me 10.25:1 with a fel pro .039 gasket and eddy head. I believe a flat top is also available but you can call Rod for more info. They weigh 468 grams on my scale.

So it looks like I have a nice light assembly that should utilize that X block I have laying around. If there is interest I'll keep the updates coming.