Quote:

Quote:

If its a stock engine internally enough boost to make any power will turn it into a grenade.

Not neccessarily. They don't need much to make them move, good clutch set-up & axles/sticky tires/exhaust ect. & they can run 12s all day on a small boost. Heres a link, notice how fast the Neon runs with stock internals, & the weight too, they weigh about like a civic.

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2884128

Yeah but thats an SRT-4 engine, which came with a turbo. I dont know what a civic has for a compression ratio but i'm sure its at least 9.5:1. We'll say that maybe it will take 7 lbs of boost safely, that might make 275 to the crank as a best cast scenario, depending on what engine they started with, so we're talking more like 225 to the wheels, not 300.

Civics are not only the butt end of our jokes, they are the butt end of jokes from the tuner crowd too, and for good reason. You can not make them fast and hold up without spending insane amounts of money. I know guys who spent 8K on an engine to run 13.50s in a 2600 lb car. Can you make them fast? Yes. But you will spend way more than you would to make a better car as fast.

The guys dropping 8K on an engine to run 13.50s could easily have bought an LT1 or LS1 GM product and done a gear swap and run faster, with more potential to improve. They also could have bought a car that came with a turbo, like a WRX, and just done bolt ons and cranked up the boost. I know the tuner cars are very capable from working on them. You can make them VERY fast. Hondas are not tuner cars though, they are just cars. With the cost involved with making them run and hold up its like guys are removing the valve cover and literally pouring money into the engines. And lets not forget, to make them really run you have to get an engine all built up to take the boost, then spend a few thousand to turbo it.

Back on topic do whatever makes it fastest. If you can't tune the Carter to come close to the times the Holley makes it run then the answer is no you don't.

Last edited by GTX MATT; 01/18/11 04:45 AM.