Moparts

Do I have enough carb for my motor?

Posted By: 71valiant

Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/16/11 03:56 PM

1971 Valiant
Stock block 360 480/480lift292/292 duration cam
headers/ edelbrock rpm airgap intake, etc

I have a 625cfm Carter AFB now. I borrowed a Holley 750 double pumper and it went from low 14's to low 13's. It pulled alot harder on the big end of the track. I was playing with the holley jets. I just wish the Carter was as easy to tune. I think the AFB should be enough carb, but the time increase says something else.
Posted By: feets

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/16/11 04:09 PM

The AFB is a little small for that combo.
However, the AFB is MUCH easier for me to tune. I can have the jests and rods swapped out in just a few minutes and never spill any fuel.

I'll take the better street manners and economy of the AFB and give up the .000000001 second at the track you get with the Holley.

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/16/11 04:19 PM

Quote:

The AFB is a little small for that combo.
However, the AFB is MUCH easier for me to tune. I can have the jests and rods swapped out in just a few minutes and never spill any fuel.

I'll take the better street manners and economy of the AFB and give up the .000000001 second at the track you get with the Holley.

Yeah, I hear ya. The AFB does run really well, idles great, starts easy.. I just could'nt believe the time difference. I guess I better get a metering rod and jet kit for the AFB. I have a race in a few months with a guy from work with a turbo honda at the Tulsa track. I need to get her running as well as she can!
Posted By: feets

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/16/11 04:46 PM

A larger AFB will make you happier on the street than a large Holley.
If you're concerned about this one race, borrow the Holley again.
If it's a quick turbo Honda, even the Holley won't help you. Some of those things are in the 11s.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/16/11 06:18 PM

Quote:

I guess I better get a metering rod and jet kit for the AFB. I have a race in a few months

Check what size rods/jets your AFB has & order an eddy strip kit w sizes a slight bit richer than current. Can lighten the counterweight so the secs will come in sooner and can remove the boosters and narrow the horizontle leg part and can narrow the throttle shafts/screws if you want to experiment w what you have & yes the AFB's (& clones) have better street manners but I would borrow the Holley again when the time comes to kick his tail (& take his money)
Posted By: Cudajon

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/16/11 06:31 PM

You really need to find an LM1 or some O2 sensor to put in there to check it out. Just richening it up may hurt performance. The 625 tuned correctly ought to be plenty for that combo. But you're asking a lot against a turbo, i've seen some of those guys at Tulsa and it will be tough no matter what you breath through.

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/16/11 11:58 PM

Just some kid at work. It's a stock civic with a a turbo. We've been talking [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] for about 2 years waiting for him to get it together. It's finally done. It's a friendly kind of thing, but I still wanna win. With a good carb and If I hook good I can get into the 12's I think. I've got close before. It should be a good race.

Quote:

You really need to find an LM1 or some O2 sensor to put in there to check it out. Just richening it up may hurt performance. The 625 tuned correctly ought to be plenty for that combo. But you're asking a lot against a turbo, i've seen some of those guys at Tulsa and it will be tough no matter what you breath through.

Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/17/11 12:34 AM

I always wanted to try out a holley carb with the adjust-a-jet metering blocks. Seems like that would make tuning so nice. No jets or rods to dink around with. Probably not worth the $ but a nice tuning toy.
Posted By: joedust451

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/17/11 12:37 AM

The 625 is on the small side, & the 750dp is too much for a mild 360, a 650dp will work a whole lot better for your set-up, i took a basic stock (high mileaged) 360 with just bolt-ons in my 71 dart to 12.5 consistantly, it was so mild it would only pull to 5100 RPMs, now this was a magnum engine, if this honda is basically stock (with a turbo) you "should" take em, i won't say much more other then be awhare of these cars, they can go in the 11s quit easy & you won't see it coming till mid track .
Posted By: ohiodemon

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/17/11 01:28 AM

get a holley 700dp perfect.

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/17/11 01:58 AM

Yeah my only hope is to get a good jump off the line and hope he blows the tires off of it. If it's close by half track im gonna be seeing his tail lights I'm sure. He had this new computer installed and they dyno'd it at 300hp. I'm hoping my 4:30 gears, suregrip and 10.5 inch micky slicks will work together that night!

Quote:

The 625 is on the small side, & the 750dp is too much for a mild 360, a 650dp will work a whole lot better for your set-up, i took a basic stock (high mileaged) 360 with just bolt-ons in my 71 dart to 12.5 consistantly, it was so mild it would only pull to 5100 RPMs, now this was a magnum engine, if this honda is basically stock (with a turbo) you "should" take em, i won't say much more other then be awhare of these cars, they can go in the 11s quit easy & you won't see it coming till mid track .

Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/17/11 02:00 AM

Might have to hide a bottle of NOS

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/17/11 02:41 AM

Quote:

Might have to hide a bottle of NOS

That was my next suggestion , never hurts.
Posted By: greenpigs

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/17/11 07:13 AM

300 HP at the wheels in a civic is going to be hard to beat if he hooks up.

One of those weigh...2500 lbs or so & figure 2700 "race" weight unless he gutted it.

So that is a LOW 12 sec ride if he has all his ducks in a row.

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/17/11 04:32 PM

Quote:

One of those weigh...2500 lbs or so & figure 2700 "race" weight unless he gutted it.

Those civics are lighter then 2500 lbs. i'll garuantee you, they are light, even if its not 300 to the wheels, if its pushing 300 FWHP it'll run hard, i ran 12.5s with 280-290 RWHP at 3200 lbs., that civic is a good 800-900+ lbs. lighter then my 71 dart, so your looking at an 11 second car if he can leave good on the boost & hook up, basically a clean run.

Here at our local track there were 2 civics running 1 night, both local guys, I saw 1 run on 3 weekends, the 1 was a plain jane no thrills, his best time was 11.5 @ 117 & none were clean runs, the other was a little "monster", it was in a sence "no thrills" looking, i know the guy personally, he has a local car lot, Its a single turbo, He could never get off a clean run, he mowed down just about everything at the track 1 night LOL, car only made 10.4s best ET, but the MPH was 138-142 , this car was tagged too.
Posted By: Paul_Fancsali

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/17/11 05:37 PM

Get the Honda guy to do a bunch of dry burnouts that will FIX the transaxle and axle's By the way the Holleys will be faster then the Carter period when done right I used to be a total carter guy with several modified Carters to boot still, but its hard to argue with et difference between the two carbs The secret to Holley is not to over jet them as often done by so called tuners
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/17/11 06:11 PM

Nope.... 750DP w/ 28 squirtters, 72-78's and It'll get it done.

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/17/11 06:39 PM

Quote:

I disagree, not for any mild 360, its just too much carb
Posted By: Paul_Fancsali

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/17/11 06:51 PM

Ran my fastest times with mild 360 and heavy body 750dp jetted similar to above a 650 gives me more 60ft 1/8 mile time
Posted By: west

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/17/11 08:35 PM

I run a holly 700 on my similar 360.

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/17/11 11:58 PM

Quote:

I doubt it. We shall see. My prediction is I beat him by half a second. I have doubts just putting a turbo on a honda civic makes a low 12s car. He's got alot more things that have to go right than I do. My car runs good and is consistant. He's still working the bugs out of his and he has to drive a stick shift and he better get it right out of the hole and not miss a shift!
Posted By: BSB67

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/18/11 12:13 AM

Have a friend that had a 13.0 sec. 340 E Body. Best et and mph was with a 750 DP on a LD340 intake.

That said, there is probably something else amiss for the AFB to be a full second slower than the 750 IMO.

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/18/11 12:43 AM

Quote:

Have a friend that had a 13.0 sec. 340 E Body. Best et and mph was with a 750 DP on a LD340 intake.

That said, there is probably something else amiss for the AFB to be a full second slower than the 750 IMO.

Yeah I agree, but it runs, starts , idles and pulls normal. No surging like it's lean or anything of that nature. I just doubt that the motor is starving that bad on a 625cfm carb. Gota be something to it.

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/18/11 12:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

My mild 340 swinger had one of those Carter 625 comp carbs on it. ran fine. I had a 750HP on the shelf. Drop it on w/ 28's and light jetting and it ran killer. went form 14.20 to 13.80 and had zero effect on mpg or drivability. Holley 750's are VERY easy to tune and work on almosty every application. He has more cubes more cam and btter heads. A 750D tuned will work great. Now a 70 will too but you can't swing a dead cat at a swap met and not hit a 750 for sale.
Posted By: MY340

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/18/11 12:59 AM

750cfm is perfect for your combo as you found out in your ET comparisons.

Ma Mopar used the large 1-1/2" primary bore big block 850cfm TQ's on their 74 360hp motors in A,B & E bodies.
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/18/11 01:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I doubt it. We shall see. My prediction is I beat him by half a second. I have doubts just putting a turbo on a honda civic makes a low 12s car. He's got alot more things that have to go right than I do. My car runs good and is consistant. He's still working the bugs out of his and he has to drive a stick shift and he better get it right out of the hole and not miss a shift!

If its a stock engine internally enough boost to make any power will turn it into a grenade.
Posted By: Chilort

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/18/11 02:56 AM

I have this same question but don't want to hijack the post. ... but might try anyway....

440, 9.2:1 compression, Eddy heads, Performer RPM, Lunati 60303 cam, full length headers w/ full 2.5" exhaust.

I bought a Holley 750 (80508S) when I had a stock 440.

Now I think I need an 850.

But it is street driven and I've always been under the assumption that the smaller carb helps street manners.

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/18/11 03:05 AM

Smaller carbs have better throttle response. Most daily driving is done with part throttle. So yeah they would be better for that.

Quote:

I have this same question but don't want to hijack the post. ... but might try anyway....

440, 9.2:1 compression, Eddy heads, Performer RPM, Lunati 60303 cam, full length headers w/ full 2.5" exhaust.

But it is street driven and I've always been under the assumption that the smaller carb helps street manners.

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/18/11 03:32 AM

I sized my carb based on Holley's website. But, IIRC (it has been about 5 years ago) it was based only on engine displacement.

A Quickfuel 830 is starting to look nice ... even if it shouldn't.

And I do have to say that I do like my 80508S. It was cheap and you can get Holley parts even at the local parts store. It has a metering block on the secondaries but Quickfuel makes a metering block that will take jets on the secondary side. So it can be made into quite the adjustable carb.
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/18/11 03:47 AM

Quote:

Smaller carbs have better throttle response. Most daily driving is done with part throttle. So yeah they would be better for that.

And what is the BESTest ferr dat ? ... the Plastic-Fantastic ...

DON'T be a Berry-Bum ... join the ThermoSquad !

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/18/11 03:54 AM

I have actually thought about that. I have one sitting on an old 77 dodge dually. Never messed with one though. A friend of mine messed with all different types of carbs over the years on his 426 and he said the thermo got the best mileage and was'nt bad on performance either.

Quote:

Quote:

And what is the BESTest ferr dat ? ... the Plastic-Fantastic ...

DON'T be a Berry-Bum ... join the ThermoSquad !

Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/18/11 03:59 AM

i have a friend who has gone 10.79 @ 120+ with a 68 Barracuda 340 with the Carter AVS and stock cast iron intake.
Posted By: mickm

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/18/11 04:24 AM

Quote:

Yeah I agree, but it runs, starts , idles and pulls normal. No surging like it's lean or anything of that nature. I just doubt that the motor is starving that bad on a 625cfm carb. Gota be something to it.

you can be right on for idle and cruise, and completely off for power on these carbs. it isn't tuned correctly, and needs to be if you decide not to switch to a holley. there are at least 1000 different opinions on these carbs, but my experience has shown me that a really good carter tuner can make the car run just as well as really good holley tuner.

now whether the car wants more that 625 cfm, that's another issue.

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/18/11 07:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My mild 340 swinger had one of those Carter 625 comp carbs on it. ran fine. I had a 750HP on the shelf. Drop it on w/ 28's and light jetting and it ran killer. went form 14.20 to 13.80 and had zero effect on mpg or drivability. Holley 750's are VERY easy to tune and work on almosty every application. He has more cubes more cam and btter heads. A 750D tuned will work great. Now a 70 will too but you can't swing a dead cat at a swap met and not hit a 750 for sale.

13.80s is all you got out of that Swinger, Any holley DPer is easy to tune, that has nothing to do with it, If your happy running high 13s with your 750dp in your Swinger thats cool, i'll take running 12.5s with a 650dp on a mild 360 in my Swinger .

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/18/11 07:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Good luck either way, but if this guy does his homework & makes a clean pass you'll have a race on your hands, I hope you win, just don't under estimate these Civics, I know the mild ones around at our track will eat you for lunch, especially if you don't run faster then a 13.0

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/18/11 08:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If its a stock engine internally enough boost to make any power will turn it into a grenade.

Not neccessarily. They don't need much to make them move, good clutch set-up & axles/sticky tires/exhaust ect. & they can run 12s all day on a small boost. Heres a link, notice how fast the Neon runs with stock internals, & the weight too, they weigh about like a civic.

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2884128

NOW, look at the HP & weight of this civic, its not insane by any means, look at the ET & MPH, not trying to burst bubbles here, just proving a point on reality, i've aslso includeing a Neon, yeah & thats a Mopar.

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2871521

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/18/11 08:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Not neccessarily. They don't need much to make them move, good clutch set-up & axles/sticky tires/exhaust ect. & they can run 12s all day on a small boost. Heres a link, notice how fast the Neon runs with stock internals, & the weight too, they weigh about like a civic.

Yeah but thats an SRT-4 engine, which came with a turbo. I dont know what a civic has for a compression ratio but i'm sure its at least 9.5:1. We'll say that maybe it will take 7 lbs of boost safely, that might make 275 to the crank as a best cast scenario, depending on what engine they started with, so we're talking more like 225 to the wheels, not 300.

Civics are not only the butt end of our jokes, they are the butt end of jokes from the tuner crowd too, and for good reason. You can not make them fast and hold up without spending insane amounts of money. I know guys who spent 8K on an engine to run 13.50s in a 2600 lb car. Can you make them fast? Yes. But you will spend way more than you would to make a better car as fast.

The guys dropping 8K on an engine to run 13.50s could easily have bought an LT1 or LS1 GM product and done a gear swap and run faster, with more potential to improve. They also could have bought a car that came with a turbo, like a WRX, and just done bolt ons and cranked up the boost. I know the tuner cars are very capable from working on them. You can make them VERY fast. Hondas are not tuner cars though, they are just cars. With the cost involved with making them run and hold up its like guys are removing the valve cover and literally pouring money into the engines. And lets not forget, to make them really run you have to get an engine all built up to take the boost, then spend a few thousand to turbo it.

Back on topic do whatever makes it fastest. If you can't tune the Carter to come close to the times the Holley makes it run then the answer is no you don't.
Posted By: greenpigs

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/18/11 09:23 AM

Quote:

Yeah my only hope is to get a good jump off the line and hope he blows the tires off of it. If it's close by half track im gonna be seeing his tail lights I'm sure. He had this new computer installed and they dyno'd it at 300hp. I'm hoping my 4:30 gears, suregrip and 10.5 inch micky slicks will work together that night!

I'm just going off what he said the car was making, it could be less as only the kid REALY knows.
Don't take my posts as suport for the ricer. I just don't think it is a good idea to blow the car off as a missmatch of parts & a easy win.

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/18/11 02:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah but thats an SRT-4 engine, which came with a turbo. I dont know what a civic has for a compression ratio but i'm sure its at least 9.5:1. We'll say that maybe it will take 7 lbs of boost safely, that might make 275 to the crank as a best cast scenario, depending on what engine they started with, so we're talking more like 225 to the wheels, not 300.

Civics are not only the butt end of our jokes, they are the butt end of jokes from the tuner crowd too, and for good reason. You can not make them fast and hold up without spending insane amounts of money. I know guys who spent 8K on an engine to run 13.50s in a 2600 lb car. Can you make them fast? Yes. But you will spend way more than you would to make a better car as fast.

The guys dropping 8K on an engine to run 13.50s could easily have bought an LT1 or LS1 GM product and done a gear swap and run faster, with more potential to improve. They also could have bought a car that came with a turbo, like a WRX, and just done bolt ons and cranked up the boost. I know the tuner cars are very capable from working on them. You can make them VERY fast. Hondas are not tuner cars though, they are just cars. With the cost involved with making them run and hold up its like guys are removing the valve cover and literally pouring money into the engines. And lets not forget, to make them really run you have to get an engine all built up to take the boost, then spend a few thousand to turbo it.

Back on topic do whatever makes it fastest. If you can't tune the Carter to come close to the times the Holley makes it run then the answer is no you don't.

Who are your kidden, they don't sink any more into there cars then we do, but obviously you must be an exspert on imports ..

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/18/11 03:07 PM

Quote:

??? I ran a Proformed 750 on a bossted 440. and it was plenty. Fatten it up and you'll be fine.

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/18/11 09:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Who are your kidden, they don't sink any more into there cars then we do, but obviously you must be an exspert on imports ..

I never claimed to be an expert, and the same could be said about you as you seem to be some sort of expert. The bottom line is that Hondas are no cars to try to make run. These guys sink over 10K into an engine that they then have to turbocharge to get a super light and gutted car to run. After thats all said and done, you have a transmission and axles that dont even stand a chance holding up to the power without tons of money spent and the car is still a front wheel drive turd thats not going to hook. As I said there are import cars that are worth working on because you can make them run cheap, but Hondas aren't one of them. I know alot of guys with older cars think that Honda's are the majority import tuner cars. The race the little Civics and smoke them and think "I don't get these kids their cars are slow as could be." The Civics, for the most part, are not fast in anyway.

Im not ignoring your point so there is no need to give me a rolling eyes smiley because I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just pointing out the fact that it costs way more to make those turds run than a car that was designed to be a performance car. Can you make them run? Yes. Do many of them run hard? Absolutely not, no one wants to drop 20-30K into a Civic to run 11s.

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/18/11 10:56 PM

If your NOT disagreeing with me then what is your point , i'm not getting it, your saying it takes TONs of $$$ to make them run 11s (thats BS), you say they are turds in a sence (thats total BS), i personally hang with some of these guys at my local track, i know whats in there cars for the most part. Do they have $$ in them, yes to a point they do, some more then others, you need to realize these cars are VERY light, & taking weight off of them is free (just like any other car), & it doesn't take much HP to make 2000 lbs. run fast.

My whole point behind my reply was don't under estimate these civics. If you think there so slow, bring your whatever down here & i'll get a guy to run you at the track.

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/18/11 11:14 PM

Quote:

If your NOT disagreeing with me then what is your point , i'm not getting it, your saying it takes TONs of $$$ to make them run 11s (thats BS), you say they are turds in a sence (thats total BS), i personally hang with some of these guys at my local track, i know whats in there cars for the most part. Do they have $$ in them, yes to a point they do, some more then others, you need to realize these cars are VERY light, & taking weight off of them is free (just like any other car), & it doesn't take much HP to make 2000 lbs. run fast.

My whole point behind my reply was don't under estimate these civics. If you think there so slow, bring your whatever down here & i'll get a guy to run you at the track.

2000 lbs sounds like a very gutted, race only car. You are correct in that they can be underestimated, but not many are actually fast because the cars are not designed for performance, they are cheap economy cars, and the engines are pretty efficient to begin with so there isn't much power left to unlock. Maybe the guys you know are aware of something that no one I know is aware of, but all of the cars I know of that actually can move have alot of money in them and they dont hold up very long when they're taching 9000+ rpm.

MY point is that every Civic with a fart can isn't capable of what you're talking about. I know that YOU know that, I'm just making the point for the guys on the forum who are unfamiliar with them so that they don't get the wrong idea about what you're saying.

In the last few years I've gotten to quite a few cruise nights to hear my Mopar buddies talking about blowing the doors off of some ricer car, but they have no idea what it was. It really makes a difference. They could have raced some fart can Civic that runs 17s, they could have race one of your buddy's gutted Civics that run high 11s, they could have raced a Subaru with a turbo back and a tune that runs high 12s. They don't know the difference, to them they are all ricer cars, and I'm trying to give the guys who don't know a better understanding of whats going on. I know that you're trying to do the same but to me you're making it sound like every fart can Civic runs 11s, even though I'm sure that's not your intention.

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/19/11 12:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

2000 lbs sounds like a very gutted, race only car. You are correct in that they can be underestimated, but not many are actually fast because the cars are not designed for performance, they are cheap economy cars, and the engines are pretty efficient to begin with so there isn't much power left to unlock. Maybe the guys you know are aware of something that no one I know is aware of, but all of the cars I know of that actually can move have alot of money in them and they dont hold up very long when they're taching 9000+ rpm.

MY point is that every Civic with a fart can isn't capable of what you're talking about. I know that YOU know that, I'm just making the point for the guys on the forum who are unfamiliar with them so that they don't get the wrong idea about what you're saying.

In the last few years I've gotten to quite a few cruise nights to hear my Mopar buddies talking about blowing the doors off of some ricer car, but they have no idea what it was. It really makes a difference. They could have raced some fart can Civic that runs 17s, they could have race one of your buddy's gutted Civics that run high 11s, they could have raced a Subaru with a turbo back and a tune that runs high 12s. They don't know the difference, to them they are all ricer cars, and I'm trying to give the guys who don't know a better understanding of whats going on. I know that you're trying to do the same but to me you're making it sound like every fart can Civic runs 11s, even though I'm sure that's not your intention.

That was not my intention, i was only going off of what i've seen, just like ANY hot rod, there are boneheads who don't need a wrench in there hand, OR they have a very low budget (but knowledge) OR they have tons of $$ & no brains, but thats with ANY hot rod, now as i was saying, i was mainly going off his/there claim of 300 HP, sure that sounds like a low figure, which it is when trying to pull 32-3300 lbs., not 2200, & i will garuantee you thats about where these civics are in weight from the factory, Alot of these ricers that the muscle car guys are beating for the most part aren't that fast, & last but not least, if you read my earlier reply on page 1, I mentioned of my friends Civic that pulls off mid-high 10s @ 140+ WITH issues on every pass, its a 9 second car, but the track prep won't hold it on friday nights at our track, he runs stock trannys (thats the weak link), but tares them up from time to time, He did tell me there wasn't a ton of money in the car, he ran the ricer curcuit last year, he is a really cool guy, he loved my Dart, he too loves American muscle, he's thinking of building a Mopar, just doesn't know what. He helped a friend slap together a Junker Civic with spare parts & it runs in the 11s @ 115+ & the block is stock, that i do know. It is a slap together to say the least, so it can be done IF you know these cars.
Posted By: HYPER8oSoNic

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/19/11 04:38 AM

Hondas' are like the smallblock Chevy of imports.
Doesn't take much to make em' run!!

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/19/11 05:52 AM

Quote:

Or too much to beat the snot out of them and then laugh a lot. Silly Honda or Chevy.

Too bad this thread got out of hand. It started good.
Posted By: Damned67

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 01/19/11 12:16 PM

Back to the carb question:
The debate on here regarding AFB v Holley will never end. Indeed, two of the members whose opinions I regard highly (Feets and Mr yuck) have differing opinions for you.
I went through a few Holleys before switching to an AFB. The AFB trumped the Holleys, but for one simple reason: I bought a strip/'calibration' kit and learned to tune it. I never did anything to the Holleys other than twist the idle screws.
That said, I've since put a 1050 dominator on my 505". Bought the Quickfuel metering blocks and spent a little time tuning it up. It's now awesome on the street.
While dropping the 750 on for the race day might be the simplest/best short term solution, buy a tuning kit for the AFB and go nuts...
It's all to common on here to read about someone who's new carb is 'junk' out of the box (goes for both brands/styles), all because they never spent any time tuning it.
Got a buddy how used to have an Aussie 6-pack hemi. That guy would literally spend hours tuning those carbs, at idle, with fancy mercury filled tubes. That thing was always a rich running pig at anything off idle. Could never get through to him that he needed to play with the jets, or whatever those weber carbs had.
Anyway, enough of my rambling, tune that sucker before shelving it.
Posted By: HYPER8oSoNic

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 02/15/11 02:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Or too much to beat the snot out of them and then laugh a lot. Silly Honda or Chevy.

Too bad this thread got out of hand. It started good.

Back to the issue at hand!

Posted By: MY340

Re: Do I have enough carb for my motor? - 02/16/11 07:15 AM

Quote:

1971 Valiant
Stock block 360 480/480lift292/292 duration cam
headers/ edelbrock rpm airgap intake, etc

I have a 625cfm Carter AFB now. I borrowed a Holley 750 double pumper and it went from low 14's to low 13's. It pulled alot harder on the big end of the track. I was playing with the holley jets. I just wish the Carter was as easy to tune. I think the AFB should be enough carb, but the time increase says something else.

I have a similiar 360 build in my Duster and prefer the 750cfm plus range carbs. I'm very happy with the 1407 Edelbrock Im using.

I ran a 625cfm Carter and a 850TQ on my old Duster340-4spd-4.10 with MP508 cam. The 850TQ was much better in the mid & top rpm performance. The 625cfm 9636S Carter was still a good carb though and especially with the electric choke feature.
© 2024 Moparts Forums