Bill Tanner's SS/DA Challenger R/T at the 1970 Chicago Auto Show

When's the last time you've seen a Sox & Martin 1970 'Cuda with its factory Shaker hood? That only sez SS/D to me. However, there is no record of the team campaigning a 1970 Hemi 'Cuda in that class. Still, cool-looking and RARE!

'Little' Richard

Centolanza Bros. and Clayton B. Wright pitted together at some race at Cecil County Dragway (or Drag-o-Way) sometime in 1971.

And last, but not least, my ex-SS/DA (street) car before it was converted back to street use sans any decals, race Hemi, fiberglass T/A hood, Super Trick wheels, etc., when previous owner George Duane campaigned it. I was told by one longtime drag racer that George had purchased a class legal $6,000.00 Dick Landy-built Hemi for the car; needless to say, that was mucho bucks back in the mid-1970s even to a service station owner.

I purchased the car back in Nov. 1977 for the 'grand' sum of $1200.00! The race engine, drivetrain and other racing equipment was pulled and removed by George and the body sold (for $500.00) to a guy named Rich Mastrianno. In its place, at Rich's request, he installed a 1968 Street Hemi with matching 4-speed trans and Dana 60 rear pulled from his (Rich's) original 1968 4-speed Hemi Charger R/T whose interior caught fire and written off as totaled by the insurance company--argh!! What a loss! But that was the mindset back then.

Car was originally Ice Blue Metallic, black interior, 4-speed, 383 cu.in. non-Shaker hood car. IF it were an original Hemicar, I'd still own it today for I was well aware of how to read the VIN tag unlike many back then. Still, it sounded, felt and performed just like a bona fide Hemicar.

Last edited by Qwik426; 05/19/12 04:35 PM.