So, I somehow ended up with a '96 5.9l block in my shed, and a Ford harness in a box

After looking at everything for a while, I had one revelation:

The plastic bushing that holds the Mag TBI wheel to the shaft can have its 4 plastic plugs drilled out removing the metal wheel from it. The bushing can then go upside down on the shaft, and the Ford key (with a larger hole) can fit on top and bolt to it. Things I still need figure out include the final installed height of the plastic bushing, and if I can use the roll pin hole where it is, or if it needs to go up or down.

My second revelation:
The Ford & Dodge hall sensors look just about identical. I have the pinout of the Ford one, so I wonder if the Dodge one matches, just lining up the wires coming out of the sensor

To make a short story even shorter, the Dodge hall sensor has the same pinout as the Ford, and it works just fine at 15v!* Now I need to find a dodge wheel with 8 teeth.

Fury Fan, do the 8 tooth wheels you have, have the same angle between all the teeth (except for #1 on the Ford of course)? It would be awesome if we could use otherwise 'off the shelf' parts, rather than needing to hack on another sensor if we need to install a new one. Make an adapter to go from the remote mount Ford TFI to the Dodge hall sensor. Everything just 'plugs in'

As for alignment of the rotor to the wheel, see the attached picture. This is a ford distributor. You can see how the rotor is indexed by that hole in the wheel. So, all we need to do is make that hole line up with the rotor in the dodge housing, and everything should be fine.

*I've used Hall sensors for other projects, and every one I've seen has a ridiculously huge supply voltage range. ie, 4v to 30v.

6248791-fordalignment.JPG (143 downloads)
Last edited by hooziewhatsit; 10/13/10 05:36 PM.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.