Quote:

I am trying to help him. There is no easy cheap way to EFI an old mopar. If you grabbed everything for the host vehicle, that'd be the best way to go. If you have added any perfromace upgrades it will not work so you have to start chopping and piecing things together, that get's expesive and tricky as you go.

It’s getting cheaper and easier as the years go by because 1: more EFI cars are in the junkyards, and 2: more people attempt and discuss how to retrofit it. The reason I jumped on you was you basically just said 'don't do it' but didn’t offer an alternative solution. Nobody here said it had to be cheap or easy. You have a SC on one of your cars, right? That’s not cheap or easy – imagine if there was somebody who always tried to stop you from doing that – you would not have achieved it.

Quote:

Most of us do not have the skills to set up and computerize EFI set-up. If a person can't tune a carb how the heck is he/she going to fab up a EFI system???

True, lots of folks don't have the skills, but please identify who those people in this thread are. Maybe I’m one of them, I always thought I was OK with carbs, then I got a wideband and realized how bad my AF was on a carb that ‘felt’ like it drove well. I’ve got a buddy that’s ‘good with carbs’, his run fine when they’re cold with no choke, and he thinks that’s fine simply because it runs smooth. He wastes fuel – but not enough to blacken the plugs, so it’s OK for him. I think there are a lot of people out there like that. The performance and economy of their cars is less than it could be but they don’t know any different.
Quote:

There is zero need for an EFI set-up on most of these muscle cars. Any benfit in mpg's or "drivablity" is crushed by the cost of the EFI system.

You are correct, there is no ‘need’ for most people, it’s a ‘want’ -- just like other things. Drum brakes and points ignitions and single-field alternators are quite functional, yet people install discs and halogen headlights and MSD boxes and other stuff. Because we want to.

As another example:
All of my cars have at least 100K on the engines, and they really respond to more ignition timing when they are cold. They don’t need it when they are warmed up, and they sure don’t need it on a hot re-start. So as a ‘tuner’, I installed an MSD6 and an adjustable timing module, and it worked great. But I have to turn the knob by hand to advance/retard it, and I sure need to remember to retard it when it’s warmed up, which is a PITA for forgetting. An EFI system can do all that automatically.

Now, back to the discussion…