Back in the mid 80's, just before the curse of the rear-engine dragster, 1/8th mile racing, and buybacks ruined bracket racing, I had a brand "C" car that ran 11.60's and did pretty well in Super Pro.

When I would run a "fast" car, usually a mid-9 second S/G car that came out to run brackets, I would dial down .01 from what I thought that I could run, go thru the traps without lifting, and take my chances. This worked real well back then, before they gave you 60 ft. or 1/8th mile times.

One Saturday night I made it to the final, slated to run one of the track's top drivers in a mid-9 car. I leave the line and look in my rear-view mirror as I pull second gear, he has redlighted and I'm a winner.

Fast forward to '94, I am running a local super class race in S/ST in my Duster. I make it to the final, and what do you know, I'm going to run that same guy from 10 years ago! He has a state-of-the-art car with electronics that runs 147 MPH, I'm driving off the foot and letting off in high gear to run 10.90 at 116. I tell the guys about the last time I ran this dude, one of them goes over and reminds him that he red-lit against me the last time out together. The guy says, "this time it will be different."

We stage up for the final, the .500 pro tree flashes, and I am on my way. I look up and my win light is on...he has done it again...redlight!

I have to go over to his pit area and bring him a beer, he meets me half way to bring me one.