Quote:

The first time I met Ronnie Sox I was excited like a little kid at Christmas. What surprised me the most about the man was how truly friendly and sincere he was when he talked to you. Ronnie would put as much attention into a conversation with a 14 year old kid talking about the car of his dreams that he would one day build as in talking with Bill Jenkins or Don Gartlis. When I got to know him over the years one comment I would always make about him was " sometimes I think he doesn't know he's Ronnie Sox". Of course that was said because he was so down to earth and far from what people expect from a true legend

That was my impression of him........nicest guy you'd care to meet.
And I also met Warren Johnson that same week end for the first time.
Not the nicest guy you'd ever care to meet.
Being it was in Minnesota and Warren hailed from Fridley , Mn. and cut his teeth on local tracks , I guess I thought he'd be a nice guy.
I still have pics from the event.......Warren was driving for Jerome Bradford , who also came off like a real dink , so maybe it was contagious.
I think I have come to understand Warren a bit since then ( 1983 or so ), and he will never be what I expected , but that is O.K.
Ronnie was pedaling a Dean Thompson sponsored Mustang back then and he was a driver I idolized since my early exposure to drag racing.
It was such a thrill to meet him , and that he was so considerate and friendly to me left an indelible mark on me.
The pits are filled with both types of personalities , and you know who I will be rooting for come elimination time.
Bigger dink than Warren ?
Joe Amato.........followed closely by Shirley Muldowney.
They may both be wonderful people , but when you approach them with children who think they are the greatest........my 12 yr. old nephew in Joe's case and my 5 yr. old Daughter in Shirley's , and they totally snub them , that impression sticks.
But it was such a thrill to meet Ronnie that the rest of the week end was just window dressing.