Last story and I'll shut up. 1972 in South San Francisco at Champion Dragstrip. That was an 1/8 mile track right smack in the Bay area. I was racing my 61 Lancer wagon. Beat out a guy in a Chevelle who was so upset at losing that he kept going through the lights, passed me in the shut down area, got in front of me and jumped on his brakes. I managed not to rear end him but ended up following him down the return road to the time slip shack.

He pulled up to the shack, got his slip and sat there waiting for me to pull up behind him. When I did, he unloaded his car, throwing gravel and crap all over the front of my car. I remember rocks bouncing off my windshied. I lost my composure at that point. I followed him to where he parked. He was sitting in his car laughing with a couple buddies standing by the door. I got out of my car, walked over to his door and literally dragged him out the window of his car. yelling at him the whole time about what he'd done to my car.

I then realized I'd gotten myself into a 3 on 1 situation. The 3 of them were preparing to pound me good. As I stood there, 2 guys I'd never seen before in my life stepped up next to me and said "this should even things out". Before it got any worse, the track officials showed up, threw the guy and his car out of the track and apologized to me for the trouble. By the time I turned to say thanks to my two guardian angels they'd already gone back to watching the racing.

Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way