Quote:

Tech, Sorry I was away from this post for a while. As I recall it was predominently silver, and is size from something like .015 accross to graphite looking film. I would accept off colr because it means little. But when there's gunk bigger than a fuel filter will catch, that to me spells trouble with small air bleeds and passages to get thru.

Out of curiousity... What excatly is the wet flow testing process? What fluid is run? Why would there be any solids in it? What determines what passes and what doesnt? It seems with the repeated processes to find issues you guys should have warehouses full of product to fix BEFORE shipping. Or is this a 5% testing type situation where not every part is tested?

The fluid has the same properties as fuel but it not flammable and every carburetor is ran through the process at least once. Idle fuel percentages and wot percentages are checked as well as setting float levels,mixture screws , initial butterfly settings and checking for leaks. If an issue is found it is then sent back ,corrected and then re-flowed before leaving.

In regards to the rate with issues we actually have less then 1% of warranty returns which is good for this kind of industry. I think part of the problem you hear about us more then our competitors is the fact we are on the boards trying to help out whereas the other are not. I can search though and find lots of threads about rporblems with their products but since they are not posting you don't get the "pile on " effect.
Even with less then 1% you still have the human factor involved which is why we constantly monitor what is going on as well as implementind new qc procedures.

In the carburetors I have had apart I have not seen the silver that you talk about but have seen a little of the gold as mentioned. There should not be any solids in it but back a couple of years ago when we had the shavings issues we did see some of this from the filters getting clogged on the bench and bypassing them. We have not seen that though since making the changes but will keep an eye out for it.

Technical Support Barry Grant, Inc. www.barrygrant.com