Originally Posted by Andrewh
you might pull the carb off the car and leave the top off, hook up the fuel line and crank on the car to force fuel all the way through.
that way you don't put more into the oil, unless you didn't change it yet.
and can catch any more stuff that comes in.

since you have a rubber line, cut it at the middle and toss a filter in there. nothing says you can't.
you might eventually go find some pipe adapters to make a place you can add a filter at the inlet of the carb.

Ok, if I pull the carb off and I'm relying on the starter motor to run the pump I can only create so much pressure through the line and why have it hooked up to the carb if the debris is coming from the line before the pump? Having the line hooked up to the carb is only gonna send debris into the carb again. The carb is clean and I already ran fuel through the line using that method by cranking it with the line detached and it was running clean! The only way to increase the pressure through the line to dislodge stuck debris is to have it all hooked up completely to rev the engine and increase the pump cycles. The higher rpm's is what dislodged that last little piece.... I really don't understand why I'd take the carb off..... Besides, doing that will most likely destroy the gasket between the intake and carb! I don't see the point in that and not gonna risk it!

The filter needs to be after the pump not before the pump, which is where the section of rubber line is. Throwing a filter in there won't filter out the debris that's already made it into the pump... The filter needs to go between the pump and the carb which is one solid metal line!

I'm a little skeptical now of cutting the metal line and installing the filter because non of the ends that I cut will have flared ends and even though I planned on double clamping the hose I'm worried the pressure will force the connections apart. I'm not sure how much pressure this fuel pump makes but I also run the same risk with the filter because the only filter I have is a small plastic one that also doesn't have flared/barbed ends... I feel like this fuel system won't create enough pressure to separate the connections that don't have flared ends but I'm not sure so this plan will be last resort!

No matter if I find some barbed connectors to allow a rubber line I still have a crappy little plastic filter without flared/barbed ends and still run the risk of pressure separating it! i also don't have enough fuel hose to run it from the pump to the carb so really my only option with that is to cut the metal line and use that as my connections...

Since the carb diagram shows there's a space for a small filter in the inlet fitting what I'm gonna do is look for a small screen and install it in the fitting! That will keep the issue from happening and will be easy enough to take apart and clean out if it gets clogged!