Originally Posted by furious70
Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel
Originally Posted by furious70
almost a shame to do rt 66 because there are lots of little things to stop at depending on which stretch and you wouldn't be able to because you're trying to complete the drive.
A few of us C body guys did Chicago to St. Louis and even after I did hours and hours of planning we still ran way behind and didn't see everything and had to run I-55 a lot more than I wanted.

Good point on the never enuff time during an event,

Since the route is not a loop, some of us from the north will be backtracking home. That would provide an opportunity to more closely check out things that we had to breeze by during the event.

If anyone does that rt 66 race and wanted to extend themselves back into IL I have routes and research I'd be happy to share. There are some original chunks of 1926 alignment out there that we ran on that give quite the perspective of what was considered a highway 100 years ago. The oldest stuff is south of Springfield so you don't have to go forever into IL.

Also, depending on the route in MO there's cool stuff including some original alignment at Devil's Elbow Bridge (you exit the old 4 lane 66 to get on the original 66)
https://maps.app.goo.gl/5MyF5VSd4EkeojP87

Remember Joel I live in Springfield, Il. I can take you to a brick potion of the original route 66 about 10 miles from me not to mention we also have Santa Anna's wooden leg!