Moparts

Hotrod Drag Week 2023......is Over...

Posted By: Dragula

Hotrod Drag Week 2023......is Over... - 09/11/23 11:22 AM

Who is in, who is going, who is not in, but going?

One of these years, I will not have to live thru you guys, and just live it myself.

Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/11/23 01:44 PM

I haven’t followed much since the greatest Drag Week promoter/cheerleader passed……. Except the year the team Bowers/Miller/Shellhamer threw together a N/A smallblock combo and won. I’d have my laptop on my tool box at work and would monitor the action via wireless ear buds.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/11/23 02:04 PM

My Dad and I will be there racing. Hoping to be a little faster this year, I found some of the ET I lost with the cam change I made last year.

I don't remember what class I signed up for, but I will likely run Street Machine Eliminator. Its really my only hope at a podium finish. I just hope my overweight car with an 8 year old powerplant can run fast enough to qualify for the quick 32 and cover the tenth they knock off of your assigned dial.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/11/23 02:35 PM

Most dragweekers are probably just now blowing their cars apart to get ready, lol.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/11/23 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda
Most dragweekers are probably just now blowing their cars apart to get ready, lol.

I was thinking the same thing but wanted to be nice. Lol 😂

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/11/23 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Bad340fish
My Dad and I will be there racing. Hoping to be a little faster this year, I found some of the ET I lost with the cam change I made last year.

I don't remember what class I signed up for, but I will likely run Street Machine Eliminator. Its really my only hope at a podium finish. I just hope my overweight car with an 8 year old powerplant can run fast enough to qualify for the quick 32 and cover the tenth they knock off of your assigned dial.

What color is yours? I will keep an eye out for it.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/11/23 03:18 PM

I found some of the ET I lost with the cam change I made last year.

What did you find?

I’m looking forward to watching the live feeds!!
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/11/23 04:33 PM

HEMI Joel and I, will not be going to Drag Week this year. I had to bow out early from Trunk Monkey duty, as a good racing buddies daughter is getting married on the 23rd. I'm not missing that. Joel has had to wait for parts for the Coupe's 392 heads, and while he did get the parts, he's made the decision to freshen up the short block now, and he and his son have been focusing on their Land Speed car. We hope to be back in 2024.

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/11/23 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by fast68plymouth
I found some of the ET I lost with the cam change I made last year.

What did you find?

When I changed the cam I also changed the lifters to ones the feed the roller pressurized oil. It killed way more oil pressure than I imagined. I moved from 15W40 to 20W50 and had to run an extra 2 quarts to keep the pan full. That ate up way more power than I gave it credit for. After drag week I restricted the oil to the rockers and was able to go back to my old oil and oil level. The car has run within .02 of its best since then.

Attached picture 027-hot-rod-drag-week-2021-day-5-holley.jpg
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/11/23 07:20 PM

Yeh, “extra” oil in the pan is usually a power killer.

If it’s not top secret, what are the lobe numbers on the new cam?

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/11/23 07:23 PM

Super top level secret lol. Just kidding I will post them up later.
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/11/23 11:14 PM

Good luck Clark!!! Will be watching the live feed as much as I can for you.
Posted By: racerx

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/13/23 11:05 AM

Where will it be screaming on? You tube/Motortrend?

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/13/23 11:08 AM

It should be on the motor trend youtube channel.

The live stream sure is nice, sometimes I watch it in the lanes lol.
Posted By: rebel

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/13/23 10:57 PM

I fly out later today from Downunder, my crewman and myself are coming to follow along & soak up the atmosphere. So if you see a tall guy, long hair, dressed in black wearing Fathers Day Drags tee shirts, a different year for every day, that'll be me, the fat grey haired guy who uses the F word alot, that'll be my crewman. We're staying in motels close to every track so if you wanna talk BS over a beer or two at night, we are experts so come join us.

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/14/23 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by rebel
I fly out later today from Downunder, my crewman and myself are coming to follow along & soak up the atmosphere. So if you see a tall guy, long hair, dressed in black wearing Fathers Day Drags tee shirts, a different year for every day, that'll be me, the fat grey haired guy who uses the F word alot, that'll be my crewman. We're staying in motels close to every track so if you wanna talk BS over a beer or two at night, we are experts so come join us.

Finding a fat, grey haired guy, that swears a lot, won't be hard to find at Drag Week. Finding the exact one might be harder to do. LOL.

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/15/23 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by JERICOGTX

Finding a fat, grey haired guy, that swears a lot, won't be hard to find at Drag Week. Finding the exact one might be harder to do. LOL.

The accent will be the giveaway. We're in Charlotte now, when we are out n about talking, people are looking, mind you the amount of F bombs my mate can use in a single sentence could be impressive. 🤣
Posted By: ksj

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/16/23 02:37 AM

The accent will be the giveaway. We're in Charlotte now, when we are out n about talking, people are looking, mind you the amount of F bombs my mate can use in a single sentence could be impressive. 🤣
If this is your first year dont forget rule#1. Newbies buy the beer. 2011 was my sons first DW. I told him do not drink beer with the guys with the funny accent. He didnt listen. LMAO
Posted By: moparx

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/16/23 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by ksj

If this is your first year dont forget rule#1. Newbies buy the beer. 2011 was my sons first DW. I told him do not drink beer with the guys with the funny accent. He didnt listen. LMAO

i made the mistake of drinking beer with "funny accent" guys one time, and they sure "taught" me a lesson ! biggrin
as to the F-bomb word, that guy needs to meet up with a woman i used to work with. it would be a great match up on who could swear the most ! eek boogie panic laugh2
beer

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/17/23 02:30 AM

Well we arrived in Hartsville today & cruised out to the track for a look-see. We buggar me if there's not a Promod meeting going on. So as we do, we just walked in, didn't pay & got to watch some awesome racing. Everytime we opened our yap we were accused of being Aussies. Pfft, clarified that & had a great time. Now as for who buys the beersies, where we come from, the host, ( read: you) buys the beersies & we think you're great guys. Now my crewman will drink any fermented swill you throw at him, but im more cultured, & I drink Jack's, so don't be shy & make sure you bring enough for everyone. See you tommorrow. 😁
Posted By: Skeptic

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/17/23 03:21 AM

Looking forward to the live stream. Hopefully the weather co-operates.

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/18/23 03:45 PM

Anyone see the Blue Dodge Viper in the Unlimited Class? Another Steve Morris Customer..
Posted By: jcc

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/18/23 04:13 PM

On my service it was to be streaming at 8:00am, but was a no show.
Posted By: Schultz62

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/18/23 04:29 PM

Love getting paid to watch this while working grin Real nice looking 68 Dart. Twin turbo, big tire, Maroon paint. Didn't catch the number it ran. Hopefully it comes back and runs again

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/19/23 12:48 AM

So....what fast mopars to be looking for. I mis opening day rolleyes can't seem to find a live stream on it.

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/19/23 01:44 AM

Day 1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwC_bUeVFSA
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/19/23 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Schultz62
Love getting paid to watch this while working grin Real nice looking 68 Dart. Twin turbo, big tire, Maroon paint. Didn't catch the number it ran. Hopefully it comes back and runs again

Chris from S California….. we’ve chatted online, but our paths haven’t crossed yet.

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/19/23 02:04 PM

Clark just went 10.40 on the livestream!

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/19/23 04:50 PM

Viper just went 6.692 at 216.
Other mopars I've seen: Lime green 70 Cuda, a couple 70's superbees, 70's charger, many dusters. Ver nice green duster that is small tire, twin turbo. 69 Dart with a nascar motor. Believe his transmission only had 5th gear yesterday.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/19/23 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Schultz62
Viper just went 6.692 at 216.
Other mopars I've seen: Lime green 70 Cuda, a couple 70's superbees, 70's charger, many dusters. Ver nice green duster that is small tire, twin turbo. 69 Dart with a nascar motor. Believe his transmission only had 5th gear yesterday.

6.62, wow! Is that quick ET of the event so far?

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/19/23 07:58 PM

I believe the pro mod type Camaro went 6.54

The Viper was off and on the throttle 3 times on that 6.6 run

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/19/23 08:18 PM

Yeah- Bailey went 6.54 today. Goldstone’s Javelin was the last car in the 6’s yesterday, lots of 7.0’s though including Matt Frost and Devin Vanderhoof.

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/22/23 12:19 AM

Made it back to the hotel after the final drive. The car has been mostly trouble free all week. Just a fan connector that needed some calibration and a worn extension housing bushing that is good enough to get it down the track tomorrow.

We had some great scenery and awesome drives this year. Lots of steep climbs that really made me glad I wasn't dragging a trailer.

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/22/23 12:29 AM

Bad340....Saw your car on the live feed a couple of times...Looks awesome with wheels up runs.

The Viper blew the intake and hood right off....

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/YmWb1m3FVqw

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/22/23 12:31 AM

Dragula, Thanks!

A few pics from the week

Attached picture 381122086_10210710838645092_315887664450782101_n.jpg
Attached picture 379456009_10210706386813799_3689924574537628608_n.jpg
Attached picture 379294942_10210706386533792_7723280217469793494_n.jpg
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/22/23 01:20 PM

Made it back to the hotel after the final drive. The car has been mostly trouble free all week. Just a fan connector that needed some calibration and a worn extension housing bushing that is good enough to get it down the track tomorrow.

We had some great scenery and awesome drives this year. Lots of steep climbs that really made me glad I wasn't dragging a trailer.

How is that remote water pump working for you??

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/22/23 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by n20mstr

How is that remote water pump working for you??

It is working good but it didn't help my issue. This thing just doesn't like to cool on the highway if any kind of traffic is around. Open Road it runs 180-185 running 60-65@3500RPM. Get in traffic and its 200-212 until the road opens up. It has done this with two engines and several setups. When I slow down and come to a stop or get in slow traffic my fan comes on and brings it right down and keeps it there. Its over 50mph with any kind of traffic that it runs warm. It never runs away hot it sure warms up. I think that center post the 68 Barracuda has does it zero favors for airflow.

The remote pump wasn't a waste though, it will allow me to run a deeper shroud or a different fan setup if I need to. I have this expensive Delta Pag fan because it was the only thing that had big flow and would fit in the gap the engine mounded pump left.

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/22/23 10:28 PM

Back at the hotel after the final day. I was in the quick 32 bracket with my assigned 10.42 dial in. The car ran a 10.46 so I felt good with that. Got a mustang dialed 10.00 in the first round and somehow pulled a .0001 reaction time on a .500 pro tree footbraking. The next round I had a good light but not at good as the first round, I was able to get that win also. The 3rd round they prepped and glued the track right before we ran and when I got it up on the converter it pushed through, I waited for them to send the other guy but they never did, I looked at the starter and he was obviously waiting for me to re stage. I got staged but was flustered and got slaughtered on the tree. I should have lost that round as soon as I pushed through anyways.

I have now raced this thing at 23 tracks and driven in and out of the gate at everyone.

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/23/23 02:33 PM

Clark, congrats on completing drag week, and on finishing in the quick 32! Thanks for keeping us posted.

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/24/23 12:50 AM

Congrats again Clark!! You killed it this year.

I loved following the storyline. Tons of records broken!

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/24/23 06:54 PM

Thanks guys, it was an awesome time with my Dad and all of our Drag Week friends that could make it.

For a small drag week of 288 cars it sure had some good action. Some of the cars on this thing are just Amazing, like Devin Vanderhoofs stock suspension convertible Mustang going 6.8X@200+ on a 275 radial.....crazy stuff. Sooo many cool cars. You gotta take your brand loyalty and set it aside and appreciate the work on some of these cars.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/25/23 01:36 PM

Thanks guys, it was an awesome time with my Dad and all of our Drag Week friends that could make it.

For a small drag week of 288 cars it sure had some good action. Some of the cars on this thing are just Amazing, like Devin Vanderhoofs stock suspension convertible Mustang going 6.8X@200+ on a 275 radial.....crazy stuff. Sooo many cool cars. You gotta take your brand loyalty and set it aside and appreciate the work on some of these cars.

I watched the latest video from Tom Bailey and saw your runs , that car gets down the track nicely . Bucket list for me is to do a Drag week in something.

I saw an earlier video of Tom's and they interviewed one guy that said something I liked ... you should quick your job and do drag and drives ... something to that effect , I think it was the guy with the lime greenish 70/71/72 Monte Carlo ...

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/25/23 02:35 PM

He appeared to be well funded, either quit your job or do whatever he does! That Monte is NICE, $90,000 engine before anything else is done, and every inch of it I saw was perfect. It isn't often I go back several times to look a car over but I did with that one.

https://youtu.be/L2nSzAxKGsk?si=kmZMgpkkPWbPM8NL

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/25/23 02:49 PM

He appeared to be well funded, either quit your job or do whatever he does! That Monte is NICE, $90,000 engine before anything else is done, and every inch of it I saw was perfect. It isn't often I go back several times to look a car over but I did with that one.

How do people keep a garage that clean? They definitely aren't doing fabrication, or body work in there...

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/25/23 04:28 PM

That's Devin's shop - from what I understand he only does plumbing, wiring and tuning for customers. Little to no fabrication on his end.

His Mustang is incredible in person, I saw it at Sick Summer. Everything on it is well thought out and it has lots of unique features, like the quick release air filter, air jacks, plenty of cupholders, etc

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/25/23 04:38 PM

I knew that car was just built.....Super clean, super complicated and super nice...For a $300k build....

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/25/23 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Blusmbl
That's Devin's shop - from what I understand he only does plumbing, wiring and tuning for customers. Little to no fabrication on his end.

His Mustang is incredible in person, I saw it at Sick Summer. Everything on it is well thought out and it has lots of unique features, like the quick release air filter, air jacks, plenty of cupholders, etc

Yeah I think he only does wiring and plumbing. Agreed on his Mustang, its so advanced but its so clean it looks simple. The air jacks are sweet, must be nice to have enough horsepower on tap to not worry about weight for items like that.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/25/23 05:48 PM

the only time my shop is clean is when i need tools or parts, and have to sweep them out from under something. panic laugh2
beer

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/25/23 07:01 PM

I had a great time following along & talking with many racers. Got to meet Dale & some of his family, this was one of the best bucket list things I've done. Would do this every year if I didn't live half a world away.

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/25/23 07:13 PM

must be nice to have enough horsepower on tap to not worry about weight for items like that.

Says the guy with an R block, and iron W2 heads. LOL!!!

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/25/23 07:25 PM

must be nice to have enough horsepower on tap to not worry about weight for items like that.

Says the guy with an R block, and iron W2 heads. LOL!!!

it costs me 50HP just to haul that thing around!

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/25/23 08:55 PM

That's a well thought out car.

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/27/23 05:36 PM

So now that its over, anyone going to plan on going to next years? I would like to think I could have a car ready for next year....maybe. I have always been plagued by reliability issues with BBM's...Mainly G2 Hemi's, but I might be willing to try it if I can get my crap together for next year.

Based on my past experiences, I kinda know what spare parts I will need to bring, but if anything major like the 727 goes completely out, I am not capable of rebuilding that on the side of the road. But my kill list looks a lot like the standard stuff most people kill on DW, rocker arms, push rods, valve springs, fuel pumps...Most of that I can handle if I can find a Hemi on head valve spring compressor.

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/27/23 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dragula
So now that its over, anyone going to plan on going to next years? I would like to think I could have a car ready for next year....maybe. I have always been plagued by reliability issues with BBM's...Mainly G2 Hemi's, but I might be willing to try it if I can get my crap together for next year.

Based on my past experiences, I kinda know what spare parts I will need to bring, but if anything major like the 727 goes completely out, I am not capable of rebuilding that on the side of the road. But my kill list looks a lot like the standard stuff most people kill on DW, rocker arms, push rods, valve springs, fuel pumps...Most of that I can handle if I can find a Hemi on head valve spring compressor.

I'm likely sitting out next year but I think I said that about this year also.

Yes, there is some things I just won't/can't fix on the road. I don't carry enough stuff to pull a transmission. I would have to have 4 regular jack stands, regular jack, etc. My little harbor freight jack and aluminum jack stands won't cut it for that plus I only carry 2 stands. Plus, I don't like the pulling the transmission in my own garage where I can drink beer and take my time. Doing it in a parking lot or pits would really suck!

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/27/23 06:59 PM

That is sad to hear your probably not going...Love your car. If I take mine, I need to rewire it, finish the cage off, put passenger seat in, get a set of rear street tires and rims, collect some spare parts, put a hitch on it, and build a small trailer..

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/27/23 07:24 PM

Totally jinxing myself with this, but I brought a starter, alternator, fuel pump, distributor, a harness to put an old style ignition box on it (couldn't get a spare analog 6AL in time), 2 rockers, 2 pushrods, valvesprings, pinion angle shims, oil, belts, and tons of random gaskets. Ended up not using any of it but will bring it for the next drag and drive for sure.

Plus, I don't like the pulling the transmission in my own garage where I can drink beer and take my time. Doing it in a parking lot or pits would really suck!

laugh2

I am hoping to do either Sick Summer again or try for Drag Week, depending on the tracks. Car won't be any quicker but I should have a quieter exhaust on it and I may put a real fuel pump on the car so I can jet the nitrous kit up, and spray it at each track this time.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/27/23 07:43 PM

Is their any monetary awards for the best two to four winning cars in each of their classes? If not, why not?
I had look into this along time ago when Petersen Publishing first started road trip cruises like this and there were no monetary awards so I didn't enter based on the theory that they, the magazines, were making more money in adverting by featuring these types of events work down twocents
I think if they aren't awarding the top 2 to 4 participants in each class monetary awards they should up twocents work

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/27/23 07:53 PM

I carry along the same things as Blusmbl. Enough rockers and springs and pushrods to do a cylinder, spare rocker shaft, spare fuel pump, spare electric water pump, valve cover gaskets, couple of coils, alternator(forgot this year), and battery(also forgot).

Basicly if I know 100% I can't get it from the Summit Truck or parts store I bring it.

My car with tires, passenger, tools and parts crossed the scales at 4020lbs this year. I had never weighed it before but I did this year after getting lost in the pits and finding the scale in the process lol. The car after a pass weighed 3515.

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/27/23 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Is their any monetary awards for the best two to four winning cars in each of their classes? If not, why not?
I had look into this along time ago when Petersen Publishing first started road trip cruises like this and there were no monetary awards so I didn't enter based on the theory that they, the magazines, were making more money in adverting by featuring these types of events work down twocents
I think if they aren't awarding the top 2 to 4 participants in each class monetary awards they should up twocents work

Nope, class winners get a Jacket, the podium finishers in each class get a Plaque, the Top 3 of the event get a custom Guitar from Gear Vendors.

Rocky Mountain Race Week pays like 10K to the overall winner and 1K per class IIRC. That event draws plenty of cars but they aren't as fast as Drag Week as a whole. That event isn't covered as well as Drag Week or Sick Week and I guess a 10K prize isn't enough to bait the ultra fast unlimited cars.

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/27/23 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge

No money involved with the winners. The event doesn't pay, so it keeps the atmosphere low key. It's hard to explain the gains one gets out of these events. The money would mean nothing, after a short time, but the experience, and friendships gained are priceless, and last a life time. Until you experience it in person, some just don't get it. Maybe never will. Those that have, it becomes an addiction.

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/27/23 08:30 PM

No money involved with the winners. The event doesn't pay, so it keeps the atmosphere low key. It's hard to explain the gains one gets out of these events. The money would mean nothing, after a short time, but the experience, and friendships gained are priceless, and last a life time. Until you experience it in person, some just don't get it. Maybe never will. Those that have, it becomes an addiction.

Exactly. Big payouts would ruin the vibe of the event, same with the original pump gas drags. That being said, I'm sure if you're willing to promote one, money is there to be made on their end. I don't think Tom Bailey would have expanded so quickly if he wasn't making money on the magazine and the initial Sick Week in 2022.

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/28/23 02:44 AM

JMHO. Its great to see so many drag and drive events. There will be only one "DRAG WEEK. That said the others have their merit. Sick Week you have to hope your submission and entry is accepted. Even Tom says its a nice winter time break . Good tracks relatively short drives great DA etc. His Desert drag and drive Im glad its not in the middle of summer. LOL. As for RMRW many Drag Week class winners have gone. Bailey, Larson,Joe Barry Doc McEntire, Mike Crow etc. RMRW has a 3150 WT limit of non nitrous, NA cars. They can be 2650.DragWeek doesnt have a weight rule. I have yet to witness any issues with cash payouts. It still has a low key atmosphere. Jeff ask Joel about his RMRW experience. The mountain drives,checkpoints etc are off the charts.Part of the reason for there not being so many "Fast cars" is who wants to drag and drive in the middle of June when the track DAs are between 4700 ft and 9500 ft. LOL. I know you like new tracks Clark. You should try RMRW next year.You can race at Flying H outside of KC. JMHO.

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/28/23 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by ksj
JMHO. Its great to see so many drag and drive events. There will be only one "DRAG WEEK. That said the others have their merit. Sick Week you have to hope your submission and entry is accepted. Even Tom says its a nice winter time break . Good tracks relatively short drives great DA etc. His Desert drag and drive Im glad its not in the middle of summer. LOL. As for RMRW many Drag Week class winners have gone. Bailey, Larson,Joe Barry Doc McEntire, Mike Crow etc. RMRW has a 3150 WT limit of non nitrous, NA cars. They can be 2650.DragWeek doesnt have a weight rule. I have yet to witness any issues with cash payouts. It still has a low key atmosphere. Jeff ask Joel about his RMRW experience. The mountain drives,checkpoints etc are off the charts.Part of the reason for there not being so many "Fast cars" is who wants to drag and drive in the middle of June when the track DAs are between 4700 ft and 9500 ft. LOL. I know you like new tracks Clark. You should try RMRW next year.You can race at Flying H outside of KC. JMHO.

The class structure doesn't work for my car. I like index racing but I always manage to land in the middle of two indexes and who wants to slow down? I don't go to win anything but I also don't go just to drive around. Some level of competition makes it more fun. The one year(2021) I went on DW just to go and run in the early group I got 3rd in SRSBNA, a happy accident.

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/28/23 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by ksj
Jeff ask Joel about his RMRW experience. The mountain drives,checkpoints etc are off the charts

He hasn't said a word about it to me, and we've talked many times since he's been back. His Coupe does't fit into the rules of a competitive car at RMRW, as the car was built to the early rules of Drag Week. Honestly, I have zero desire to ride with Joel in a "parade car", just to see some nice check points. We like the competition aspect of Drag Week, and having a car that has a chance to win class is where it is at for us. If you've seen us at the track with the Coupe, we are pretty focused at the task at hand, and don't mess around much. I actually like that. We still have fun during the drives, and goof off plenty, but at the track, it's about doing what we need to do. I'd be bored riding around in a parade car again.

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/28/23 05:39 PM

I did Rocky Mountain Race Week this year in my 67 442 convert. It was not competitive, and I knew it wouldn't be. So it was a fun parade lap. RMRW was much less intense than DW, because there was dedicated drive days where you don't race that day. There was definitely a lot of opportunity to get my requisite 8 hours of sleep that DW lacks. It was so hot in Pueblo, and the racing was from 3 - 11, I hung out at the hotel making business calls all afternoon, and didn't go to the track till sun down when it dropped to under 90 degrees. That would never happen at Drag Week.
RMRW seemed to be very well organized. June, who is the lady in charge, really has her ducks in a row. When I showed up at the sign in desk and told her I was new, she very thoroughly and succinctly explained everything I needed to know without me having to ask a bunch of questions. What a nice surprise, vs. wondering around lost and confused for lack of instructions.

A drag and drive is totally different when you are trying to be competitive vs. just having fun. The main reason I decided to go this year was to add Bandimere to my list of tracks raced at before they permanently closed. I was still waiting for parts for the coupe, so I took the Olds. I picked up 3 new tracks. I like testing these different tracks, see how they operate, and I think about the challenges and the struggles that the owners face and am so thankful that they exist.

It was a cool event, and fun, with beautiful drives thru the Rockies and the prairie. There were some crazy pulls up the mountains, 7% grades for miles. I wondered how the cars pulling trailers with 5000 stall converters made it without cooking the trans. With a Doug Nash 5 speed in my Olds, of course that wasn't an issue. The absolute coolest checkpoint ever in drag and drive was the Bishop Castle. Look it up. I climbed to the top of all 4 towers. Some folks where scared to even go in it.
I love the drag and drive stuff. The combination of racing and road tripping suits me perfectly, as I have always relished both. But I am competitive, so I'd rather show up in a car that has a chance than a parade car. I definitely want to do Drag week 2024 in the HemiCoupe.

As far as DW not paying cash prizes, that's fine with me. Racing is a money pit. A $50 prize or a $10,000 prize is a fart in a hurricane, it would barely touch my wallet and then be gone. And racing would still be a money pit. I'd rather win the Drag Week jacket, something I will have and treasure the rest of my life as a reminder of the good times. I still have the trophys I won at NorthStar drag strip in 1978 and '79, and when I look at them on the shelf, it brings back great memories. A $20 prize would have been gone and forgotten. I suppose I'm sentimental about that stuff.

I'm signed up for Death Week, that will be a awesome endurance test, with lots of cool drives. https://www.sickthemagazine.com/death-week

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/28/23 06:03 PM

If some used parts I am looking to buy end up in my possession, I will give this a solid attempt this year.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/28/23 06:32 PM

Do you guys remember when you donated so Eddie could go to Dragweek. Then Elvis turned around and called you guys jerks. That was kinda funny.

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 09/28/23 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

Do you guys remember when you donated so Eddie could go to Dragweek. Then Elvis turned around and called you guys jerks. That was kinda funny.

I vaguely remember that. He generated drama and controversy like the Hoover Dam generates kilowatts. I stayed out of it. I did think it was cool that an Elvis impersonator was racing a 7 second Mopar on Drag Week, but didn't donate.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 10/02/23 12:46 PM

If you need to ask for donations to go race, you should stay home. I didn't donate either.

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 10/02/23 04:22 PM

Its a huge investment for one week in your hot rod.....for sure.

If you guys see next year's tracks announced or posted, please post it up.

And if you guys have leads on a good small trailer send me a link.

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 10/02/23 04:36 PM

If you guys see next year's tracks announced or posted, please post it up.

Tracks are usually announced after the first of the year. Would not surprise me if the tracks were in the Midwest again next year. The new one being built near Kansas City would be cool to go to.

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 10/02/23 04:44 PM

They do move them around a lot....Its gotta be tough scheduling an event like that in the middle of the week at each track...I guess as long as its not too far west, or too far south.

It looks like the parts I wanted might end up in my possession, and then I might have to give this a try if that all works out.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 10/03/23 02:03 PM

If you've ever rebuilt a 727 I think you could do it on the side of the road, there's really only one specialized tool, the front clutch spring compressor, and that can be improvised .

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 10/03/23 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by JohnRR

If you've ever rebuilt a 727 I think you could do it on the side of the road, there's really only one specialized tool, the front clutch spring compressor, and that can be improvised .

In my case I don't use a trailer and don't have the room to carry full a full size jack and 4 full size jack stands that are required to get the trans out. I have accepted that unless in the right place at the right time transmission problems would end the event for me. Same with anything below the cylinder heads. I don't want ever want to bow out but I don't and can't carry the right stuff to do heavy service.

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 10/03/23 03:07 PM

Yeah, I think at some point, you have to trust the parts you have invested in....a few TNT's should be able to allow you to build some trust. Your car seems very reliable and fast enough to be fun. My goal would be to fix what I need to on mine, which is go to a full cage, fix the wiring, and switch to a 315 radial so I can call it a small tire car and pick a class like BB NA or somthing.

My car has been streeted for years, and I think if I fix the wiring, all I have to worry about is the engine. I think a G3 is in my future after this G2....
Posted By: GY3

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 10/03/23 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by JohnRR

The dude with the 4 door Chevelle called "Honk if parts fall off" has rebuilt the trans in the hotel bathtubs many times as I recall. grin

C-clamp vise grips will work in a pinch as a clutch spring compressor.

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......in 7 days! - 10/03/23 03:40 PM

I saw that episode....Stayed in a Holiday Inn and rebuilt it in the bath tub or somthing...That guy is talented.
Posted By: JcodeCharger

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......is Over... - 11/02/23 03:02 AM

I went. Had a great time with my son. I have the 68 Dart. It was good to meet bad340fish and his beautiful Cuda, he graciously offered me a valve cover gasket in my moment of need. I’m sure I spoke to others. It was a long hard week. If you have ever thought about doing DW DO IT!!!!

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......is Over... - 12/02/23 07:07 PM

Still waiting on the Drag Week track announcement, but that's expected, probably at least 2 months out from signup. I just registered for Sick Summer again- a little bummed they didn't change any of the tracks, but also wanted to make sure I did at least one event next year and it's hard to pass up a D&D that goes through GLD. I might try to swing Drag Week next year as well if it's in the midwest and goes to tracks I'm interested in.

Sick 66 looks super cool as well, sounds like 6 total tracks and 9 days, from Missouri to New Mexico. It's all 8th mile. Joel and Jeff, are you gonna attempt that one?

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......is Over... - 12/02/23 07:55 PM

I'm on the wait list for Sick Week in Florida, fixin' to show up and hope and pray I get in. Jeff is busy that week, so I'm going to break in my son Cam as a substitute trunk monkey. That will be fun.

No plan to do Sick Summer. That time will be spent getting the Hemi Coupe dialed in for Drag Week.

I'm going to do everything in my power to be at Drag Week this year, loaded for bear. Jeff will be in the trunk monkey cage. I hope it is in the Midwest. It would be cool if they did something like Brainerd International, Rock Falls, Great Lakes, Cedar Falls, Brainerd.

Sick 66 in October is a possibility, I sent in the expression of interest form. And it includes 6 tracks, 5 of which will be new for me. But it is only half track racing, and I prefer 1/4 mile. One interesting thing is that it is not a loop. It starts in Missouri and ends in New Mexico. That opens up the possibility of wandering further down Rt. 66 if we are so inclined.

I did Death Week in my 67 442, that was an amazing event. The routes and the check points were some of the best ever. On the drive from Wild Horse Pass to California, across the Sonoran Desert, it was 105 Degrees. That separated the true street cars! The whole route was 2000 miles. Checkpoint highlights were the border wall, Pacific coast, Sequoia National Park, crossing Death Valley, and the Grand Canyon. We raced at Phoenix, Barona, Famoso, Phoenix,

I did Rocky Mountain Race Week this summer in the Olds as well since the Coupe was apart. That was Kearney, Bandimere, Pueblo for 2 days, then back to Kearney. It was really nice to get a chance to race at Denver before the track permanently closed.

Of all the events, Drag Week is the most grueling. You race and you drive every single day. The other events have had days where you drive and you race, but also days where you only drive, and some down time to relax and have fun. I Like the other events a lot, but Drag Week is still the king.

Attached picture sick 66.png
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......is Over... - 12/02/23 08:57 PM

Joel,

Thanks for the updates, sounds like you have been having fun.

I agree "Drag Week is still the king"

Bill

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......is Over... - 12/02/23 09:44 PM

Sick Summer and Sick Week both don't have drive only days. Sick Summer is a super short route though, I think it was only a 500 mile D&D total, so you only spent a couple hours on the road each day.

Good luck getting into Sick Week!
Posted By: furious70

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......is Over... - 12/03/23 04:58 AM

almost a shame to do rt 66 because there are lots of little things to stop at depending on which stretch and you wouldn't be able to because you're trying to complete the drive.
A few of us C body guys did Chicago to St. Louis and even after I did hours and hours of planning we still ran way behind and didn't see everything and had to run I-55 a lot more than I wanted.

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......is Over... - 12/03/23 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by furious70
almost a shame to do rt 66 because there are lots of little things to stop at depending on which stretch and you wouldn't be able to because you're trying to complete the drive.
A few of us C body guys did Chicago to St. Louis and even after I did hours and hours of planning we still ran way behind and didn't see everything and had to run I-55 a lot more than I wanted.

Good point on the never enuff time during an event,

Since the route is not a loop, some of us from the north will be backtracking home. That would provide an opportunity to more closely check out things that we had to breeze by during the event.

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......is Over... - 12/04/23 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel

Since the route is not a loop, some of us from the north will be backtracking home. That would provide an opportunity to more closely check out things that we had to breeze by during the event.

If anyone does that rt 66 race and wanted to extend themselves back into IL I have routes and research I'd be happy to share. There are some original chunks of 1926 alignment out there that we ran on that give quite the perspective of what was considered a highway 100 years ago. The oldest stuff is south of Springfield so you don't have to go forever into IL.

Also, depending on the route in MO there's cool stuff including some original alignment at Devil's Elbow Bridge (you exit the old 4 lane 66 to get on the original 66)
https://maps.app.goo.gl/5MyF5VSd4EkeojP87
Posted By: second 70

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......is Over... - 12/04/23 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel

If anyone does that rt 66 race and wanted to extend themselves back into IL I have routes and research I'd be happy to share. There are some original chunks of 1926 alignment out there that we ran on that give quite the perspective of what was considered a highway 100 years ago. The oldest stuff is south of Springfield so you don't have to go forever into IL.

Also, depending on the route in MO there's cool stuff including some original alignment at Devil's Elbow Bridge (you exit the old 4 lane 66 to get on the original 66)
https://maps.app.goo.gl/5MyF5VSd4EkeojP87

Remember Joel I live in Springfield, Il. I can take you to a brick potion of the original route 66 about 10 miles from me not to mention we also have Santa Anna's wooden leg!
Posted By: d4rt

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......is Over... - 12/05/23 02:23 AM

I'm planning on doing Sick 66 in my Dart. Since this will be my first drag and drive event, I decided to opt for one where it's more about the journey and less about the racing. Plus I've always wanted to drive Route 66 in my Dart. Since I'm coming from Arizona, my current plan is to head northwest to Topock, AZ and then take 4-5 days to drive east on Route 66 to at least Springfield, MO. Going to try to see as many of the sites as I can on the drive out.

I'm still a little salty I didn't do Death Week, especially considering Wild Horse is ~15 minutes from my house. The car was no where near ready for a trip like that, unfortunately. Hoping to do one of the larger events (most likely Drag Week) in 2025.

Attached picture Dart_and_American_Flag.jpeg

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......is Over... - 12/05/23 02:50 AM

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=16ZBa30DseShBeLpZN29p1ySKjVt-ChQ&usp=sharing

Take him to the Turkey Tracks as well! The couple longer dog legs of 1926 pavement had my fellow drivers questioning my judgement! But nothing like the dirt and gravel sections out west from what I've read.

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......is Over... - 12/05/23 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by second 70

Remember Joel I live in Springfield, Il. I can take you to a brick potion of the original route 66 about 10 miles from me not to mention we also have Santa Anna's wooden leg!

That sounds like my kind of place!

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......is Over... - 12/05/23 04:12 AM

Attached picture PXL_20230916_223916410.jpg
Attached picture PXL_20230916_182453964.jpg

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......is Over... - 12/11/23 09:09 PM

I can’t wait to see your Fury in person one of these days, Jeremy!

Drag Week update, Martin announced their 2024 schedule today and they have Drag Week listed on September 18th. Definitely upper midwest again!

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......is Over... - 12/11/23 10:27 PM

I am glad that it is in the upper Midwest! I think I'll go ahead and book my room in plainwell for Tuesday night. Cancelable of course.
Posted By: JcodeCharger

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......is Over... - 02/22/24 04:42 PM

The tracks have been announced for DW ‘24.

Hot Rod Drag Week 2024 Schedule
Sunday, September 15- National Trail Raceway (Hebron, Ohio): Registration,Tech Inspection, Test 'n' Tune
Monday, September 16 - National Trail Raceway (Hebron, Ohio): Racing Day 1
Tuesday, September 17 - Lucas Oil Indianapolis Raceway Park (Indianapolis, Indiana): Racing Day 2
Wednesday, September 18 -US 131 Motorsports Park (Martin, Michigan) : Racing Day 3
Thursday, September 19 -Milan Dragway (Milan, Michigan) Racing Day 4
Friday, September 20 - National Trail Raceway (Hebron, Ohio) Final Racing Day 5

Registration is this Saturday the 24th.

Re: Hotrod Drag Week 2023......is Over... - 02/26/24 01:06 AM

Just looking at shortest possible routes.....I do not think I can afford it this year, my truck just gave me bad news. But I might be available as a ride along and help.

Attached picture 2024-HR_Dragweek.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums