Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda
Originally Posted by B1MAXX
Originally Posted by AndyF
Originally Posted by B1MAXX
Has anyone back to backed a 2000$ intake port job ? I don't think it would be cost effective.

Somewhere in the 25 to 30 hp range. And lots of racers will pay $2000 if it means they win the round rather than loading on the trailer. Bracket guys don't care so much, but heads up guys spend more than that to pick up less.

Another point is that a Wilson intake is always worth money. You can race with a Wilson intake for years and then turn around and sell it for close to what you paid since the Wilson brand is so strong. If you pay a local guy $500 for port work you might get 1/3 of that back when you go to sell, If the porter doesn't have a reputation then people won't pay much for it.

I guess there is a time and place for porting, but thinking in terms of the op, 2000 on intake porting a M1 for maybe a tenth is not worth it. I can't see more than that in a gasket matched M1. Just my opinion. The m1 is a pretty good intake in my opinion.

iagree If I have to spend over $2k in a cast manifold, I'm going to be looking into a custom sheet metal piece. Unless I'm rules limited to a cast manifold only.
For the OP, I'd just buy a better manifold at this point. Later on maybe have someone do a 400-500 port job on it.
At the end of the day, a $2k ported M1 is still just an M1. Seems to me that anyone willing to spend 2k on a cast manifold is gonna be wanting something a lot more serious than an M1. twocents

The thing is custom sheet metal manifolds sometimes come in second to properly ported cast manifolds. I have a friend with an NHRA Super Stocker that took off a name brand fabricated intake manifold and replaced it with an heavily modified cast manifold and lowered ETs.

Of course there are many stories of the opposite being true. The very best cars spend a lot of money on good stuff that does not work with their combination.

Bill