Originally Posted by GomangoCuda
Originally Posted by Luvcars69
I live in Monroe, NC 3 miles from the SC line, been here since 2014. ... Be prepared to pay property taxes on all registered vehicles, motor cycles, boats, trailers, planes & campers. They value your vehicles! They suck about $3500 yr out of me 14 Charger Pursuit, 16 Ram, 19 Scat Pack & 2 Harleys....
I haven't register my 69 Bee nor my 78 Magnum as they have Pennsylvania classic plates on them, if I get stopped I just say I'm a dual resident & give my address here. I'd hate to see what they would value them at.

Yep, when I was looking for a retirement state I checked s.w. Virginia and North Carolina first and found out about that personal property tax. They could have clobbered me with 2 late model daily drivers, 2 classic cars and a motorhome. Like Luvcars69 said above the state sets the value of your vehicles. My luck the guy that sets the value on my 70 Barracuda probably watches Barret Jackson every time it's on and thinks that's reality. In Tennessee it costs me about 5 bucks a vehicle.

I agree personal property tax (cars, trucks, trailers... ) needs to be considered. But IMO, it isn't too bad, depending on what you own.
In 2018 they valued my 1973 Barracuda at $5,000 and the tax each year was $45 and the registration was $36.
In 2020 they tried to tell me the value was now $23,900. (site unseen). I appealed and got it reduced back to $5,000. It is not a showroom collector car (440 in a 318 car).
The personal property tax rate varies with the county/city you live in. Same rate as your home property tax. So outside "city" limits is about half the rate.
BTW, my trailers are registered in Maine as "interstate", so multi-year plates and no tax.

1993 Daytona, 5.50 at 130mph (1/8) 1.19 sixty ft (PG). Link to 572 B1 - Part 1