Originally Posted by Luvcars69
I live in Monroe, NC 3 miles from the SC line, been here since 2014. Originally from the Pittsburgh area. If I had it to do again I'd go to Rock Hill, Fort Mill or York county. Gas & property taxes are cheaper, less restrictions all around than NC. Be prepared to pay property taxes on all registered vehicles, motor cycles, boats, trailers, planes & campers. They value your vehicles! They suck about $3500 yr out of me 14 Charger Pursuit, 16 Ram, 19 Scat Pack & 2 Harleys. I've never heard of this [censored] until I got here!! Weather is great here. Beware if you can't do things yourself the quality of the craftsmanship I've seen here is poor. Had a 30 x 40 pad poured Mexican disaster, steel building erected Guatemalan disaster!!!!

I haven't register my 69 Bee nor my 78 Magnum as they have Pennsylvania classic plates on them, if I get stopped I just say I'm a dual resident & give my address here. I'd hate to see what they would value them at.

Yep, when I was looking for a retirement state I checked s.w. Virginia and North Carolina first and found out about that personal property tax. They could have clobbered me with 2 late model daily drivers, 2 classic cars and a motorhome. Like Luvcars69 said above the state sets the value of your vehicles. My luck the guy that sets the value on my 70 Barracuda probably watches Barret Jackson every time it's on and thinks that's reality. In Tennessee it costs me about 5 bucks a vehicle.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.