Originally Posted by Old_Moparz
Originally Posted by larrymopar360

Ron LeFlore! That's a great story from the past! I understand everything you wrote about! It was great when pitchers would pitch complete games and pitch well over 200 innings a season. Real workhorses and bulldogs. Now so many have a pre-planned bull pen schedule for the 7th, 8th and 9th. Remember Jack Morris? Quite the work horse. Although not in the same category, I actually liked Dan Petry better.

Greed has certainly effected the game negatively. Ads are everywhere during the game and it's annoying. They are even showing in-game commercials! I'm hanging on because the game I have loved all my life is the last professional sport I watch. I haven't gone to a Spring Training game in over a decade, and I'm in Florida and several train only an hour away. Joker Marchant stadium is only about two hours away.

P.S. As much as I hate to admit it, I believe Dave Windfield had the strongest arm in Right Field I ever saw. Geez, I remember someone on the Tigers hitting a ball to deep right and it hit the base of the wall and died there. Winfield picked it up and threw a cannon from the wall to Home on the fly and nailed the runner that had been on First. I still remember it all these years later and I was just a little kid. That's when both were in the AL East and rivals of course.

I also recall a pitcher getting 30 wins in a season. eek (Although I had to look it up, it was Denny McLain in 1968.) Seems like today winning 10 games is the milestone. I can accept that because of all the injuries & shortened careers some had.

Minor League games are fun, the atmosphere at the park is great & everything is still affordable.

Dave Winfield was fun to watch. up I saw Paul O'Neill do something similar a few times, another great arm.

They still have all the injuries and shortened careers, they just train harder instead of playing harder. The lighter work load has done nothing for longevity.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!