Originally Posted by larrymopar360

Ron LeFlore! That's a great story from the past! I understand everything you wrote about! It was great when pitchers would pitch complete games and pitch well over 200 innings a season. Real workhorses and bulldogs. Now so many have a pre-planned bull pen schedule for the 7th, 8th and 9th. Remember Jack Morris? Quite the work horse. Although not in the same category, I actually liked Dan Petry better.

Greed has certainly effected the game negatively. Ads are everywhere during the game and it's annoying. They are even showing in-game commercials! I'm hanging on because the game I have loved all my life is the last professional sport I watch. I haven't gone to a Spring Training game in over a decade, and I'm in Florida and several train only an hour away. Joker Marchant stadium is only about two hours away.

P.S. As much as I hate to admit it, I believe Dave Windfield had the strongest arm in Right Field I ever saw. Geez, I remember someone on the Tigers hitting a ball to deep right and it hit the base of the wall and died there. Winfield picked it up and threw a cannon from the wall to Home on the fly and nailed the runner that had been on First. I still remember it all these years later and I was just a little kid. That's when both were in the AL East and rivals of course.

I also recall a pitcher getting 30 wins in a season. eek (Although I had to look it up, it was Denny McLain in 1968.) Seems like today winning 10 games is the milestone. I can accept that because of all the injuries & shortened careers some had.

Minor League games are fun, the atmosphere at the park is great & everything is still affordable.

Dave Winfield was fun to watch. up I saw Paul O'Neill do something similar a few times, another great arm.