Originally Posted by larrymopar360
Originally Posted by not_a_charger
Originally Posted by larrymopar360
In 1968 the average game was 2:27

In 2021 it was 3 hours, 3 minutes

See a problem here?

If a hitter had kept stepping out on a pitcher like Bob Gibson for example, back in 1968, he'd have knocked them on their azz.

My least favorite aspect of baseball. A grown man gets his feelings hurt and responds by standing 60 feet away from the grown man who hurt his feelings and throwing a ball at him, and this is somehow viewed as tough or macho.
I get it but remember this started way back before the DH and that pitcher had to step in the box himself, and still does in the National League. Also it was usually a response to something that had happened such as the opposing pitcher hitting or throwing at one of his teammates. Nobody is for head hunters but sending a message around the waist when called for is different. Even an occasional sticking one in their back pocket if their pitcher has been head hunting. Hopefully it is infrequent!

There is a DH in the national league now also. There is only one pitcher left who still gets in the batters box.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!