Originally Posted by 67vertman
Originally Posted by crackedback
Originally Posted by Rhinodart
Originally Posted by crackedback
Please have plenty of insurance too so we don't have to fund your care if you end up really messed up. People fall down skating, hit their head and die. If your number is up, bye bye

The outliers of the broken neck bs compared to the lives saved is miniscule.

If helmets didn't do any good, nobody in motorsports would be required to wear one.

Says right on the helmet something like not good for anything over 5mph, had a few helmets that had that label on them and they were Snell rated. Keep the anecdotes coming, I must be the luckiest guy in the world riding for 50 years and still being alive! I pretty much always rode with a helmet off road, been down hundreds of times while not on the highway and to me it makes more sense then dulling your senses on the highway whey you need them most... wave As far as eye protection is concerned I HAVE to wear it because I had gunpowder ignite in my face when I was 17 and my eyes are sensitive to wind, so I have to have a windscreen and glasses on. Illinois law states that you don't have to wear eyewear if the windshield is so many inches above the handlebars, too lazy to look up the exact law but I remember it when I was a board member of Illinois ABATE...

Yet motorsports require the useless things. Got it.

Yes they do....as they would be held liable if they didn't!

Just as "loud Pipes Saves Life's" so does a "Brain Bucket"

I saw the results of the fully "protected" bike rider that missed a curve at about 80 mph and drove the bike through an Aerostar Ford van. He hit the van just to the right side of the center of the front bumper, missed the motor by inches, went through the dash and came out through the back hatch. All that safety equipment he was wearing didn't help much. The only thing the brain bucket did was made it easier to identify who the guy was, but those riding with him knew his name.

For the record, If I get injured to the point someone has to do everything for me, weather it be by my decisions, or someone else's decisions, you have my permission to pull the plug. That is not the kind of living I want. That decision of mine is on every medical and legal document I've ever signed.

As far as motorsports, if I want to participate in their activities at their facilities, I have to decide to follow their rules, ignore the rules and take a chance of getting booted out and off their grounds, or to not participate. That is how the game is played.

I believe there is often too much protection available for stupid people, that is one of the reasons the world is in the shape its currently in. I'm including myself in that statement at some level. As my old buddy Forrest Gump says "Stupid is what stupid does." As long as the consequences for stupid actions only effect the stupid person, they should be able to be as stupid as they want.