As I tell anyone thinking about riding, wear your gear because when, not if, you dump it that gear will help save you. I'd rather shred leather than skin. Is it 100%, nope, but I guarantee you your flip flops, shorts and T shirt will leave you with road rash every time and worse more times than nought.

I started riding in 82, when I moved to TX my motorcycle endorsement didn't make the transition. Didn't notice it for years till I got a bike. So I had to take a riding school. The instructor was giving me crap about the old school heavy duty leathers I was wearing and I slapping him down. He was a sport bike rider and his gear was minimal, at best. Laughably enough in the middle of the week it started raining, I was the only one who was dry. Every one else got soaked, hell I used to ride in the winter in Chicago. We had one dude wearing a windbreaker, I told him that wasn't going to help him when he lost it which he did during class later on.

You ride a bike, you will go down at one time or another. Heck my SIL got hit while he was stopped in the left turn lane while the light was red. They kept going too. So if you are planning to ride, ride like every one if trying to deliberately kill you, because they are. Your bike has several advantages over a four wheeler. Some of them beneficial to you as the rider. It can out accelerate almost all other vehicles on the road, you can use that to not be where trouble is heading. It can out handle most other vehicles on the road as well, those it cannot out handle, well the bike is smaller and can get around things easier, use that to avoid trouble. It can also out stop most other vehicles, but that usually just makes you a sitting duck. You gotta have your head on a swivel and your brain has to be able to not only process what is going on but be able to continuously update your options in fractions of a second.

My advice? Don't ride.