Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy
Originally Posted by Sniper
Originally Posted by terzmo
Well...Petronics is not hard to install and IF I installed it I would keep a small pouch of tools (screw driver and feeler gauge) in the trunk or glove box with the original point setup just in case the 1 in 100000 chance the petronics crapped out. How many in the forum carry a spare ballast resistor. And I could care less if someone "spotted" the difference because of a wire.

I have never carried a spare ballast resistor, never had one go bad either.

As for the wire, someone else used that as an excuse to not use the factory electronic ignition.

I wouldn't us a petronix if it was free and they gave me a spare to keep in the glove box. As with most things of late, the older versions seem decent, the new stuff is a crapshoot. I'll keep my points first.

It’s not an excuse. It’s the reason what the guy asked for requires petronix to get as close as possible to a factory look.

I guess I do more driving, as I’ve had a ballast go bad. I do tend to put in more miles than most people. Not many people have used a 68-71 mopar for a three season daily driver when they were over thirty years old like I have.

My work commute to work was 75 miles, each way, did it for 13 years with a ballast equipped car, all seasons. Had zero ballast failures. Been driving Mopars with ballast resistors since I bought my first car in 1984. Zero ballast failures. Right now my daily driver is a 51 Plymouth I converted to 12v, running a ballast resistor, no issues. My Cuda is still running it's original ballast resistor. So my anecdotal evidence negates your anecdotal evidence. The ballast resistor issue is way overblown and even so, a jumper will get you running long enough to get home or to the parts store for a new ballast resistor. Can't do that with a Pertronix.