Originally Posted by 440Jim
Originally Posted by Transman

Where is the water level when the pan is at a 45 ?

I performed your 45 degree test this morning.
First I removed 2 qts of water to simulate some amount that will be "upstairs" in a running engine. It could be much more "upstairs" then that, IMO.
Then I tilted the pan back until the liquid level reached the top of the pan where it bolts to the block. This was roughly (by eye) 15 degrees.
With the windage tray bolted-in, I quickly tilted the pan to 45 degrees for about 1 second (a long time IMO). A couple qts of water spilled over. Lots left covering the pickup, which moved to the back of the pan.
I removed the tray to see the water level and pickup at the same time.
Finally I tilted the pan to 45 degrees and held it there allowing water to flow out. The pickup was still covered with about 1.5 to 2.0 qts left in the pan.

I don't know what your 45 degree test means in an actual drag car launch, but those are my observations.

According to some “on car” tests the 45 angle approximates the g force for cars that ran mid elevens back in the day.

Assuming much of the oil will stay trapped in the back of the block and that some of the oil upstairs will drain back to the pan it sounds like you may have enough oil.
A real scrapper should be worth some power in that pan plus keep more oil in the sump. Plus that oil that escaped is going to hit 7/8 rod and rear counterweight - not good for power or aeration.

If forced to use that pan, I would add a real scrapper and add an expanded metal screen above that windage tray. All the oil coming off the rotating assembly is going to bounce off that tray. I would make a tight fitting secondary tray to cover the pickup housing. Whatever you do remember you need to make sure returning oil can get to the sump/pickup.

We always added 2 or 3 quarts to what the sump held to accommodate oil upstairs in a running engine. So you are close on that point. But with the advent of reduced oil upstairs by bushed lifter, etc. that number may be skinnied up.

15 degrees nose down to see how much oil is in the sump for decel and if it covers the pickup.

Last edited by Transman; 12/29/21 08:39 PM.