"What just happened Joel?" "I'm not sure..." Thinking in the back of my mind, if it's electrical, such as a MSD, we might be screwed. "I think we are out of gas." Joel says. I quickly go through my routine of what I have to do with going from Race to Street trim, and I realize I didn't switch the ball valves on the fuel tanks. "Stay in the car Joel, I'll take care of it.!" I unbuckle my belts, and hop out of the Coupe. Remove the trunk lid, and reach into the packed trunk to get to the ball valves. I knew if Joel got out, he would start removing all the trunks bounty, and it would end up taking way longer than it should. Race valve closed, feel around for the street valve, and got it. Reinstall the trunk lid, and hop back it. "Try it now." Joel ran the fuel pump for a bit, then fired up the old HEMI. Whew... back on the road we went. It wasn't too far to the Casey's gas station, and Joel wheeled the Coupe next to a gas pump. Joel was in a hurry to use the bathroom, and get some coffee, so I took care of filling the tank, and adding the octane booster. As I'm finishing up, Tony pulls up in his 38 Dodge truck, and Mark Fisher pulls up in his class leading Ford. 3 Hot Rod class vehicles in one spot. Joel walks out of the gas station, and tells me, "The lady behind the counter really loves her job." I asked him what that meant, and he just said "You'll see." Umm OK. I grab a bottle of Mountain Dew, a Doughnut, and make my way to the counter. It's easy to see what Joel was talking about. This lady had the biggest perma scowl on her face, that she made Anne Ramsey look like a Super model. I pay for my stuff, and hurry out. I didn't want my hand stuffed into a blender...

When I got back to the gas pumps, Joel, Tony, and Mark were chatting, and discussing just why someone would try and run 8 carbs on a motor, and think it was a good idea? We took the opportunity to get a group shot of the 3. With picture time over, we squeeze back in the Coupe, and get ready to hit the road. Joel hands me his coffee. "What do you want me to do with this?" "Hold it. I can't drive, and hold my coffee." It's a 20oz cup of coffee, and Joel has it filled right to the brim. "If this spills on me, this cup is going out the window..." I'm not joking.

The route to our first check point has some decent 4 lane roads to take, and Joel and Tony take advantage of it, and put the hammer down. Mark, although he has a Gear Vendors in his truck, he hasn't been using it, and has traveled the routes around 55-60mph. We didn't see him much after the gas stop. Our firscheck point was a rest area. Not the coolest check point, but very convenient. This time Tricky Steve, and his wife Cheryl pulled up next to Tony, and Joel. Another Kodak moment. We chatted for a while, and answered questions from other travelers at the rest area, but quickly realized we needed to hit the road, and let other Drag Week cars use the space for their photos. i told Joel we will probably need gas again before the next check point. Tony said he was good to go, and would probably split off, as he informed up that his wife was waiting for him at the hotel near Byron. "Conjugal visit eh Tony?" he just laughed...

We got back on the road, and it was pretty cool having 3 Hot Rod Class cars running down the road, and we were eating up the miles quickly. 75mph was the norm. Not the most exciting thing to write about, but not having problems was a highlight after the last couple days. As we approached the time we would need more gas, I looked at my phone, and found a place just up the road. We cut off the highway, and Tricky Steve, and Cheryl followed us, and Tony split away for his bride. We pulled into the gas station. Tricky Steve on the right, and the Coupe on the left of the pump. "Hey Joel, there is an Arby's next door. We should eat. How about you get gas, and I'll run over and get us something?" "Sounds good, can you get me a Deluxe... " I didn't hear what he said, as I was already walking away. He's going to get what I get him... I run up the hill, cross over the parking lot, and reach the front door, and read the sign "Indoor dining area closed" F%#@, at least put a Moose out front to tell me it's closed... make my way back to the Coupe. "Closed Joel. Drive through only." "Well we will just go through the drive trough then." This should be interesting since Joel can't hear people talking clearly, let alone through a crappy speaker.

DW21-38.jpgDW21-37.JPGDW21-39.jpgDW21-41.jpg
Last edited by JERICOGTX; 11/09/21 04:18 PM.

69 GTX 68 Road Runner