Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel
Originally Posted by Soopernaut
I opened an account today with TD Ameritrade and wrote the biggest check of my life. We shall see what happens.

Be careful. This is not Las Vegas! make sure you understand defensive strategies. Stop loss orders, puts, spreads, etc

I opened a cash account and plan to keep it pretty simple for now, no futures, options or selling short. I may not even use stop losses. If the prices keep falling I'll keep buying. I have 20+ years till retirement age so I have time to ride it out. As long as prices go back up eventually I'll come out ahead and I'm pretty sure once fears of Covid-19 go away things will level off. There is no guarantee stock prices will ever be as high as they were recently, but I'm willing to take some risk.

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
Originally Posted by Soopernaut
I opened an account today with TD Ameritrade and wrote the biggest check of my life. We shall see what happens.

Good luck, it took a few months for the market to find bottom in 2008. It's only been two weeks..

Thanks. I think it is hard for anyone to tell the bottom, even the experienced. They say to never time the market. As long as I'm not buying at the top I think I can eventually come out ahead.

1970 Dodge d100/eventually going on a 77 D100 frame