Originally Posted by Dave_J
Then there is the IRS... Don't forget the IRS. They will not forget about you and your money.
Say you have $1,000,000 in your IRA. You panic and decide to cash it out. You will write a check to the IRS for $350,000 or more depending on your income bracket...

Most 401k and Traditional IRA's you can move money around inside the account but not take it out.

Roth accounts have a bit different rules but there may be limits.

Some financial firms have Money Market accounts where you can sell off Mutual Funds shares and put them in the ultra conservative MM fund as a holding. They do gain and loose a small amount but not as volatile as the main stream Mutual Funds

Yes the IRS...that is why our iras are managed, I can't pull them out without tax issues, and by the time I could figure out what to do it is too late. They have done alright and they have been actively moving them around inside their portfolio this week so we will see. I fully fund them jan 1 every year, but waited this year for some reason, just a bad feeling so that may work out too, have to fund by april 15, need the tax write off.