Not to detail this thread but:
There was a UPS truck that broke down in front of my house a few weeks ago while making a delivery (across the street from me). After sitting there for about 30 minutes, a Penski Rental truck showed up, and backed up to about 3' behind the now dead UPS truck. Both truck drivers proceeded to "move" the packages on the UPS truck to the rental truck. At more then a few points, my wife and I watched packages flying from the inside of one truck to the inside of the other truck (a distance of easily more then 6'), but both drivers were in the same truck. A few of the packages were picked up off the street and were placed into the truck they missed in the fly though process. I must admit, there were several packages that were handled pretty delicately, but probably less then 20% of what was on the original truck. The entire package swap took about a 1/2 hour, it was a smaller UPS truck, but it must have been pretty full. Upon completion of the package swap, the UPS driver got into the rental truck and drove away, presumably to make the day's deliveries. The guy that was driving the rental truck got into the UPS truck, and drove it away, with a trail of liquid following it up around the turn.

My wife commented on how the drivers just through the packages from the one truck to the other with little regard as to what may have been in the packages.

My shop used to be next door to our local UPS hub. I often repaired their aluminum 2 wheel dollies. Part of the repair was to make sure they were delivered to the hub, and I was to stop in the office with a receipt and get paid. Very prompt payment, always. On several occasions I witnessed the truck loading process. All I will say is when you ship packages, pack them like you would expect them to get thrown into the truck, especially if they are light weight, or small. At the time, our local hub had 43 trucks. The packages arrived on semis (often with pup trailers) from 3 different locations, and the packaged were unloaded from the semis, sorted, and loaded onto all 43 trucks in about 6 hours time with about 6 employees. Christmas time was worse (but at least there were extra people). How much care would you expect to see? Gene