Originally Posted by Mr T2U
to reply to the people who say UPS always wins i will say not always.
i will keep my story as short as possible to not hijack this thread.

about 8 years ago i bought a almost new full carbon fiber bicycle, including the wheels, at 80% off what it should have been worth.
it was packed by a bike shop then it was put in a wooden crate. when it was shipped UPS opened the box inspected and approved of the pack job, charged me a fee for that and shipped it insured for $3K. at the end of the line UPS drove over the bike with a truck. there were tire tracks over the crate when it was delivered. the truck must have been fully loaded because the crank, part between the pedals was bent significantly.
they initially claimed the usual bike was packed wrong. i informed them to be insured for anything over $500 THEY had to pack the item, this was the rule at the time to get insurance at the $$$ amount it was insured for. if they wanted to fight payment i would have no problem going to court. note...... i have a old HS classmate that works at a law firm that represents politicians. i didn't tell UPS this info.
UPS said good luck so my friend filed a lawsuit asking for damages, and punitive damages to cover attorney fees.
when i finally got my day in court. at the initial hearing UPS argued it wasn't packed properly. my attorney countered to insure item for the high $$$ it was insured at THEY had to pack the item. we produced a receipt with the additional fee i paid to do so and also showed the bent crank to the judge. after a few rounds of debates the judge held the bent crank up and asked the UPS attorneys what amount of packing would be required to prevent this damage. he also mentioned in his opinion you could drop the crank off a 20 story building and it wouldn't bend a crank like it was. he then gave a temporary recess for the attorneys to talk. after 20 min of discussion between attorneys, my attorney informed i would have my $$$ in a week.

Holly chit .. through all this - what did you recover ?