We took Illinois State Route 173 (designated the 173rd Airborne Brigade Highway in 2008) shortly after I-94 south took us out of Wisconsin. It was a breathtaking drive through forest preserves and lakefront towns. We get drives like this only two or three times a drag week, sometimes it ten miles, sometimes a hundred, where the car and occupants are happy, the scenery is idyllic and a sense of euphoria settles over you as the small block hammers away at 3k, the side exit exhaust notes bouncing back at you from the trees. Heading due west, we were treated to an amazing sunset that crawled lower as we crested each hill.

The first checkpoint was fifty-four miles in, Bohn's Ace Hardware in the town of Woodstock. The large parking lot was swarming with activity: Drag Week cars jockeying for position to get their picture, locals checking out the machines, as well as a large group that just follow the route. I pulled in and parked beside Dale's Gremlin a row back, and got enough of my car and the store in the picture to satisfy the rules. A huge cheer went up when Dave brought the Monte Smith Performance 66 Vette to a halt directly in front of the entrance of the store, and hopped out for a quick picture. The Canadians seemed genuinely embarrassed and overwhelmed to be the center of such attention, and well wishes, but everyone could feel it...this was going to happen, a monster motored nitrous combo was going to win Drag Week in an era where turbos were dominating!

20170914_185300 - Copy.jpg20170914_192244.jpg20170914_193100.jpg

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines