I was digging through the trunk of the Valiant to find my torque wrench and some thread locker when I heard the unmistakable whine of a roots blown engine making it's way toward us up the off-ramp. It didn't sound very healthy, however, as it strained to come up the hill, misfiring, coughing and wheezing as the car came into view. It was first time Drag Weeker Hilbert Osborne and his impressive silver and black 55 210 Chevy. The air scoop on top of the twin Holleys mimicked the look of a modern Top Fuel style injector hat, and was visually stunning on a street car. The Pro Street 55 drew a ton of attention on Registration day, but I thought it was odd when he signed up for Street Machine Eliminator, as it appeared much faster than a 10.0 car.
Not to disappoint, Hilbert's first pass on Monday had been in the 9.50 range at 140+! A second attempt saw him lift at a thousand feet, and still run 9.80 at 128. Late in the day he managed a third attempt, but the blown big block seemed to lay over at the 330' foot mark, and he just eased down to a 12.59-82 mph pass.
At the time, I figured it was just an over cautious driver wanting to make sure he had a safe pass to turn in, but listening to the machine struggle into the rest area, I began to think that pass may have foretold of deeper issues. A modern Ford pick-up trailed close behind, and pulled alongside as they shut the big Chevy off. I didn't know if it was their designated chase truck, or just one of the many people who happen to stop and help when they see a Drag Week car with issues. I tend to give everyone the benefit of the doubt when it comes to those situations.

I handed Rick my thread locker, and held the flashlight as he torqued the flexplate bolts in a star pattern.
At that point Rick and Sharma assured us that with things going back together, Rachael and I should go ahead and get on the road.
"It's like you explained earlier", Rick slapped me on the back, "leapfrog...you go on ahead, and hopefully your brothers will be along shortly".
Rachael and I were re-arranging the contents of the Valiant when the Ford pick-up which had been following the 55 drove over and parked next to us. A slightly built gentleman who appeared to be in his mid sixties got out and asked us if everything was going OK with our car. I explained our situation and asked him about the 55.
"They've had the carbs apart twice since we left the track, and it runs fine for ten or fifteen miles then starts acting up. Don't know if it's bad gas, or junk in the tank, but they just threw in the towel and called a roll-back to pick them up".
"That's no good, I hate to see that happen so early on."
"Yeah...I was going to follow along and help them out if they needed it, but that's done, so I was hoping I could tag up with you guys now...if you don't mind?"
"That's fine with me", I explained. "Are you doing the whole week or what?"
"Yeah, I preregistered, and had plans of bringing my Vega this year, but I've went through a pretty extensive chemo treatment, and just didn't have the energy to finish it."
"Dang! I'm sorry to hear that!"
He smiled and shook his head, "Hopefully my battle with the big C is behind me, and my wife implored me to go ahead and take the vacation time and enjoy the event, if only as a spectator."
"Hard to do when you're a racer!"
He chuckled and his eyes lit up, "Exactly...that's why I want to follow along with some cars, follow the route and see what everyone is going through...at least feel like I've got some skin in the game on this half of it, at least."
"Honestly, the drives are more than half", I smiled, "the street is where Drag Weeks are made or broken!"
"I'm quickly beginning to see that!" He laughed again, and we jumped in our respective vehicles to forge ahead.
"Who was he?" Rachael asked as we dove back onto I-74 with the lights of the Ford a couple of hundred feet behind us.
"I don't know...we shook hands, but never exchanged names", I explained.
"That's rather odd", she shook her head.
"Not on Drag Week!" I laughed, as the tach needle settled on three grand.

IMG_0416.JPGEcklers-55-Drag-Pic-4.jpgEcklers-55-Drag-Pic-5.jpg

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines